“Nice bar with not too many really young ones!”
Review of Matterhorn

Matterhorn
Ranked #99 of 979 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Setting the benchmark for the finest and freshest of New Zealand’s music, dining, service, drink design and culture, Matterhorn gives it to you seven ways in seven days, indoors, outdoors, fireside; it is a regular's restaurant, cocktail bar and café, where attitude is most certainly valued over attire.
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I remember when the Matterhorn was a cafe, how times have changed. I've been here a couple of times and it has a great wine list and menu. Worth a visit, but often crowded.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have nothing negative to say about the Matterhorn. The service was the best we have experienced in New Zealand. The menu offered something for everyone and several chef specials. We both had the fillet and it was on par with some of the best steaks we have eaten. The wine list was nice and there were many options by the glass. We had the chocolate cake for dessert with sherbet and it was definitely worth the 15 minute cook time. I will come here everytime I'm in Wellington.
It's tucked away on Cuba street which is filled with electic shops, restaurants and bars.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Having experienced a very enjoyable meal in the Matterhorn while on holiday here from Dublin in 2009, we revisited it recently [March 2012]. Needless to say we were a little surprised to see a half-empty restaurant at 8.30 on a Saturday night, which was an ominous sign of things to come. Our starters and main course [no need to reinforce our mistake of going there by having dessert] were cool, scarce, and fairly dull & uninspiring to the taste-buds. For a company in the hospitality sector, the attitude of their staff reflected to me a culture of arrogance at the restaurant that we have never witnessed in any comparable [ie price wise]restaurant in Europe. And such comparable restaurants would generally have professionally trained waiters & sommeliers with a lot more skills and a lot less attitude. For a restaurant bragging on the reputation of awards achieved long ago it charges prices that would be deemed very expensive in Dublin or London. Overall, an expensive, second-class dining experience in a first-class city.

2  Thank MrBarnes
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I love to come here and share a bottle of red with friends outside under the coloured carnival lights beside the open fire. The wine list is great, I first had Black Estate Chardonnay here which converted me from a reisling lover. The staff are brilliant, certainly know a thing or two about wine and coktails, very attentive. They always come to fill your water glass.
The only complaint would be that they don't have a lot of vegetarian options, I haven't eaten here for that reason. I'm quite content with focusing on the wine list for the time being.
Come here, its the best bar in Wellington if you're looking for a decent wine and a funky atmosphere devoid of drunks and ugh boots.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

The wait staff were excellent but the food was disappointing. Only had a main and a taste of a friends dessert both of which were overpriced and not particularly exciting or flavoursome. Very few vegetarian options which made it a bit difficult for one of my friends. Wouldn't chose to eat here again.