“fun dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Monsoon Poon

Monsoon Poon
Ranked #21 of 911 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Thai, Indonesian, Singaporean, Malaysian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: A vibrant atmosphere and an innovative design concept, Monsoon Poon offers choices from the exotic flavours of India, South China, Vietnam, Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia - all on one menu.A mix of South East Asian chefs wield their tools of trade in full view of the dining room. Booths and large tables make for an intimate or sociable dining experience, where the wide range of cooking styles can be enjoyed by sharing dishes.
New Zealand
“fun dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

would recommend this restaurant. for adults. my daughter didn't seem to like anything there and she likes asian food. think flavours too exotic for her right now. but i would've loved to go with a group of friends to try everything. yummy food.

Wellington, New Zealand
“food good background music ruined the whole experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

have been eating there for 10yrs last 2 times found the background thumping music extremely annoying it was so loud it made conversation almost impossible. Asked the manager to turn it down a bit informed not possible because the diners like it. Went back a second time same droning music will not be back!

• Visited May 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Funky dinner spot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Gotta say, the $10 Mojitos are a good reason alone to visit this place but definitely found them an added bonus to the food I've had here! They do amazing soups and even better goreng! Would have to say though that I've only been here a few times and find that my table needs to always ask for more water or additional drinks, would be nice to be offered! Other than that, everything else is great. Definitely recommend a visit!

• Visited December 2013
Redding, Connecticut
“wonderful place to start a night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Though Wellington has many fabulous dining options on Cuba Street, it was worth the short walk off the beaten path to Monsoon Poon. The service was quick and friendly, and the menu extensive enough to please my two mates and I (all of us wanted very different types of food) without being overwhelming, and the prices were reasonable. The 20 minute wait for a table passed quickly as we poured over the drink menu at the bar... reasonably priced, fun and tasty cocktails! Our waiter was knowledgeable about both the drink and dinner menus, and was quick to offer suggestions and answer our questions. The restaurant was crowded, so it was a little bit loud, but that did not bother us. I didn't quite know what to expect when we walked in, but the food and drinks were delicious, the service friendly and the atmosphere fun.

Dunedin, New Zealand
“Good spot for a night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

After wandering around Wellington for an hour trying to decide where to go (my friends are picky--they like finding places which have the best online reviews), we stumbled upon Monsoon Poon. We only waited 20 mins to be seated (which passed by quickly as we sat at the bar staring at the menu). Here's a few notes:
1. The menu is fairly extensive, but not overly so as to be overwhelming.
2. The food was delicious. I had the Honey soy Salmon, my friend had the Golden lemon chicken, and two of my mates had the pineapple curry. I can personally say that all dishes were wonderful (we tasted each other's), especially the curry (and I don't usually go for curry). One note is that rice did not come with the curry dish, so my friends had to order their own.
3. The atmosphere is wonderful, just loud enough that you don't pay attention to other's conversations, but not overly loud that you can't have your own convo.
4. Cocktails are great too and good selection of choices. We spent longer deciding what we wanted to drink than what we wanted to eat!