“Good for a Lunch”

Ranked #43 of 965 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$10 - US$33
Cuisines: European, Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Set in the heart of the city, Pravda Café & Grill is a Wellington institution; the perfect place to go for everything from a morning espresso to a leisurely lunch, afternoon drink or dinner out. In Russian, Pravda means “the truth”. Hence the eatery’s focus on honest, produce-led dishes that use the very best ingredients New Zealand has to offer. The daytime menus offer flavourful café favourites given a modern spin, along with freshly ground Immigrant’s Son coffee. The cheese scones are world-famous in Wellington, while the breakfast and lunch dishes run the gamut from contemporary egg dishes to innovative salads, burgers and sandwiches, and bistro classics. By night, Pravda is Wellington’s best steakhouse, with a carefully curated selection of exceptional cuts, informed by the menu at Pravda’s siblings, the iconic Jervois Steak House restaurants. At Pravda, a warm welcome always awaits you.
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great for a coffee, use as a "coffice" or a fantastic lunch in the centre of Wellington.

Be careful because it can become full quite quickly and it sometimes is hard to get a table.

Service is always great. It has a great vibe, and the food and coffee is good. A little bit on the upper end os the scale price-wise.

Chatting about the bust of Lennon is a good conversation starter.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Went there first thing in the morning. Good fast service, nice coffee, delicious cheese scones. Must go back for dinner some day.

1  Thank Lisa T
Glen H, Manager at Pravda Cafe and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Lisa,
Thank you for taking the time out to write us such a lovely review. Dom's cheese scone a such a hit especially when they are hot out of the oven. Do come in and try our dinner menu one day or maybe join us for social dining on a Friday night.
Thanks again!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

On the recommendation of my wife (who has lunch here often with colleagues from around the city), she and I stopped off for takeaway coffees and cheese scones on Thursday 19 June at about 7.35am. It was a waste of time. Nobody working there seemed to have any idea what was going on.

There's a counter with a till on one side when you enter, and on the other side, a cabinet with scones and stuff in it and the barista going to work on the espresso machine beside the cabinet. There was no one at the till but the barista at espresso machine was jumping between that and another till on another counter further along. There were people lined up at the first counter (by the espresso machine) and at the till. Where to go we thought? Then another person, a girl, jumps up from behind the counter and they're both running around between cabinets, machines, tills, you name it.

Then the barista decides yelling out 'is anyone here for breakfast? - just go upstairs', is a good idea. Aahhh...people leave. Then a customer at the first counter orders a coffee from the barista. I line up behind him as it seems the best place to be because no ones serving at the till (ok - not really true, the girl was periodically running over to it). Then, while we're at the counter she runs over to me and asks what I want and when I tell her she says I have to line up at the till, where, if you recall, she's periodically running to and doing nothing.

My wife and I, not really all that impressed, left. Whoever runs this place should be totally ashamed of their complete lack of customer service standards.

Apparently my wife has new suggestions for lunch for workmates.

1  Thank BagmanNZ
Glen H, General Manager at Pravda Cafe and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Bagman
Thank you for taking the time out to provide us with your valuable feedback
We are disappointed to read that your experience here at Pravda was substandard I can assure you this is not indicative of the usual high standards we pride ourselves on. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.
Morning coffee rush is often very unpredictable. On that morning in particular it was very busy with very few bookings. Lots of walk ins .We were we also a barista down which had a big impact on the flow of service ( the reason way you saw a lot of toing and throwing from the cabinets to the till to the phone and the coffee machine.
You have bought up a valuable point that we are currently looking into about our systems.
Our daily regulars do tend to come up to the barrista and give them their Keep cups without going to the till first ( cue jumpers) which can cause confusion for those who line at the till.
We do hope to have the chance to welcome you and your wife back to give us another try.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I ate here for lunch. The menu is good with a range of contemporary dishes consistent with what I expected to find. The atmosphere is pretty good although it was a little bit too noisy for my liking. The location is nice and central.

The service was excellent with attentive wait staff for both the food and beverages. The sides accompanying our main courses were of a very high standard and definitely tasty.

The problem here was with the mains. Two of us ordered the fillet-steak. This dish costs $38 for the meat alone plus sides at roughly $10 a pop; so, getting expensive by New Zealand standards at an all-up cost of roughly $60 each for the main. Both steaks were mediocre - small, tough and of unimpressive flavor. This was the sort of main that would have seemed fair value at half of the actual all-up price.

Many of the elements of being a great restaurant are here and it's unfortunate to not pay attention to getting the main part of the meal right. Given the price-point set here being so slack just isn't good enough.

I'd be willing to eat here again but I'd not choose this restaurant myself since it's easily possible to do better for the same style of food.

1  Thank MrYellowDuck
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The lamb here was delcious - very tender! Had a great choclate dessert too. Staff was friendly, we were seated though we did not have a reservation.

1  Thank krg999