“Do they know what is Nasi Lemak?”
Review of Satay Kajang

Satay Kajang
Ranked #678 of 979 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We decided to go to this restaurant on Waitangi Day after finding the other Malaysian restaurants were closed. We ordered Curry Laksa, Beef Rendang and Nasi Lemak. When Nasi Lemak was served, I thought they got my order wrong. It did not look nor taste like Nasi Lemak at all. The coconut rice hardly had any coconut flavour in it, and sambal was just chilli onions. Only the peanuts and hard boiled egg gave some inkling of being Nasi Lemak, but still sub-standard. I have been to KL, Kuching, Penang, Malacca and many other Malaysian cities, and of course coming from Singapore, we all know what Nasi Lemak is, even if it is slightly different. What I ate in Satay Kajang was NOT nasi lemak! Fortunately, the other dishes weren't as bad.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We were on Cuba Street looking for dinner when we spotted this place. Friendly, with impressive decor. It was quiet when we were there (a Sunday evening). The food was excellent, very tasty, and the service was efficient.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Our first time walking about the Cuba Mall looking for a place to dine at 6:30pm last night (Wednesday) but there are so many smokers just outside the restaurants/bars. We ended up turning at Dixon Street and saw more dining places. This small restaurant have menus just outside the door and the prices were so much cheaper. We came in greeted by a very friendly, smiling young woman. We made our orders choosing the Malaysian Chef's specials and after 20 mins our main meals arrived. We ordered Rojak Mee (like a salad) and Chop Suey Hofun - Wa Tan Hor (it's piping hot!) Both tasted marvellous!!! They served in big plates, a very generous size meals.
I am recommending this little place for everyone to try. A small price to pay for a very tasty food! It is my Malaysian delight!!!

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I come to this restaurant every time I am in Wellington. They have a very nice Char Kuetiaw. Their nasi lemak and laksa are pretty good too. The price is good. I would recommend it if you are looking for a good Malaysian restaurant in Wellington.

Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

I fully recommend this place. The food is very good a and it's not expensive. It's also very nicely decorated and located.