“My favourite cheap and cheerful!”
Review of Satay Village

Satay Village
Ranked #222 of 966 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Great food, exceptional value and a classic Malaysian, I wouldn't go any further than Satay Village, it's been my favourite "cheap and cheerful" for the past 12 years! Great table service but the owner needs to smile and be a little more accommodating!

1  Thank WELLYFOODIE007

Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

Have visited a number of times and always get good quality food for cheap prices. Prefer the setting over similar and comparable restaurants, such as The Oaks. Good value for money, and handy BYO option too.

1  Thank Andrew F
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We actually went here looking for KK Malaysian restaurant (which is right next door and it was shut). We were a bit disappointed (as we had read a lot of good reviews). We got in here not really knowing what to expect but we were so pleasantly surprised.

Food was yummy, good quantity and plenty of variety.

The Bad:

Service was below average. Needed to go to the counter every time our glass ran out of water. But having said that food came out pretty quick.

Its not the best Malaysian we've ever eaten but its the best value for money restaurant. There isn't any compromise in taste either.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I recently returned to my Wellington hometown after several years abroad and was looking forward to heading back to one of my old favourites - Satay Village. So I gathered a couple of friends and off we went with bottles of wine underarm and high hopes. Initial impressions weren't good - the decor hadn't been updated since I left, there was no atmosphere to speak of, and prices had increased rather a lot since.

Still, it's cheap enough so my friends and I ordered a selection of food – curries, laksa, noodle and rice dishes. That food, though, wasn't good: tiny portions were compounded by insipid flavours which were in turn compounded by curt and abrupt service. The roti was dry and cold, the laksa tepid and plain, the Beef Rendang could have been a curry from any Asian cuisine anywhere in the world. And to top it off that same rendang came back up a few hours later. Really nothing redeeming about the experience at all.

Even with that sub-par experience I wanted to give Satay Village another shot -after all, it's a Wellington institution. So back I went, this time with parents in tow. Unfortunately second impressions weren't any better. I opted for a different dish - the seafood and vegetable combination mee goreng. The only seafood was three tiny pre-frozen shrimp; the only vegetables were a two pieces of limp boiled cabbage and some soggy broccoli. To make things worse, when I talked offered the waiter some constructive criticism about the dish he became very argumentative, yelled at me and told me never to come back.

Not to worry, there’s no chance of that.

Overall, given that Satay Village is competing with several other Malaysian restaurants in the immediate vicinity (KK Malaysian, Satay Kingdom, Satay Palace and Roti Chennai are all less than 100m away) it really needs to stand out if it’s to compete. Given the small size and unremarkable flavours of the food, the surly service and the operating-room atmosphere, I’d steer well clear of this one.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

I have been eating here for 20 years from the day they opened. The food is stunning. The quality of ingredients is unbelievable for such a well priced restaurant. The flavours are beautiful and dont be afraid to ask for some spice!

My favourites are the beef rendang, mee goreng and nasi goreng! Dont miss out on the satay sauce and roti as well.

Everything is hand made with love and Don and his family work hard to create the best tastes from Malaysia!

Go there? Email me if you want an introduction.

1  Thank NZ-Stuart