“Food great”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The White House Restaurant - CLOSED

The White House Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: This is an exciting and stylish new restaurant led by well-known and award-winning Chef, Paul Hoather. The impeccable style of this stunning restaurant showcases the menu which is the very best and the freshest seafood and local produce. It's Chef Paul's creativity, his unparalleled experience, and his passion for exceptionally fine food that make every meal an experience par excellence.
New Zealand
“Food great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Although food was great, on arrival they took our coats, but when we departed we were left to find them ourselves. Could have easily taken other coats, as no one down stairs to be found. This was at night so maybe short staffed.

london
“Overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I am amazed that this is the Number 1 on Trip Advisor.Despite a lovely location and good service the food was old fashioned and tired.It felt like a kitchen that was coasting and all this an an eye watering price that was the most expensive of anywhere we eat in New Zealand.We eat the next night at Logan Brown which had a clever menu and great food.A much better experience at a lower price.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank jandj47
Canberra
“A great dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Wow! What a great experience. Chose the degustation menu, which while expensive at $NZD140 per head was first class. Every dish was so well presented and tasty. The mixtures of colours and tastes was divine. Well worth it for a special occasion. Also, go on a Sunday as it is BYO ($10 per bottle) so it makes the cost a little easier on the hop pocket!!

• Visited April 2014
Dunedin, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beyond words worth every dollar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I came in with very high expectations. And the white house delivered. The food was the best I've had at any restaurant that I have eaten out at. I would definitely be coming back. And will be telling friends and family. Well recommended.

1 Thank amandafrost
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Delish food but next time I will consider the time it took”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was really looking forward to eat at this place. My main reason for choosing this restaurant was because it's no 1 on TA and I did enjoy the food thoroughly. I was considering whether to try the degustation menu or a la carte. In the end, I decided to try the degustation.

The service was excellent. Food was amazing. The place was cozy with good view of the Oriental Bay. There were 10 courses and every one of them was presented immaculately with great attention to details. Taste was wonderful. And just as with any degustation menu, it was very expensive but everything was high quality so I think it's worth every penny. My favourite was the duck which was cooked for 12 hrs! Wow! I was quite full when it hit course 7 and they kindly offered me to take away the last course.

So overall, my 4 stars rating is mainly for the food and service.

HOWEVER, having said all these positives, I do have to say that next time I will consider more or ask first about the time it will take for degustation menu. I was there from 6.30pm and didn't finish until 11pm. It was a long long night. If I knew it'd take this long, I'd have ordered the a la carte menu. Not entirely restaurant's fault, hence it didn't affect my scoring.

So if you do go to this restaurant (which I highly recommend) and want to try its degustation menu, please make sure you are comfortable with the time (and price!) that it will take for the whole thing to finish. And oh, make sure you make reservation.

• Visited March 2014