“A good drop and food to salivate over”
Review of Vivo Enoteca Cucina - CLOSED

Vivo Enoteca Cucina
Cuisines: Italian, New Zealand
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Hidden away near the Cuba Street precinct is this wonderful little wine bar and eatery. Fabulous wines by the glass and yummy food to share. Buzzing with locals (always a good sign) modern and noisy but warm and comfortable. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We visited Vivo as a family, celebrating three birthdays. We started with a shared platter which was a good mixture for the six of us, two of whom are vegetarian. It was a good way to taste some of the food to come later and the polenta chips were surprisingly tasty. We ordered eight tapas amongst us - four meat plus the snapper "meatballs' and mussel fritters. The beef cheek was especially tender and delicious. We also had the beetroot Carpaccio and the caprese salad, finding the eight dishes were sufficient. We had a selection of desserts. I had the cinnamon pannacotta which was delicious. I thought the wine list was very pricey with no bargains to be found. Our service was very good for all the meal. Vivo doesn't take reservations on Friday nights but still managed to keep a table aside for us.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This place is nice and cosy and feels like a proper wine bar. It's great for a few quiet vinos, an aperitif before dinner or a perfect spot for a date.
I went with a few girlfriends on a quiet Thursday evening. We ordered a platter of food and shared it which was pretty good with a few bits to be picked at and had some glasses of bubbles.
The service was good but a bit inconsistent. We felt like we were either ignored or it was a bit full-on. The waitress at one stage asked us if we'd finished with the platter and we all looked at her in an indecisive manner in which case she should have said that she'd leave it and come back and clear it away later but instead she looked at a member of our group and directly said "Have you finished?" which forced her to say that she had without wanting to sound like a pig! I felt like we were being a bit rushed and they wanted us to go so they could tidy up and close up (it was 9:30pm)
Anyway, I would definitely go back as I do like the bar and I like the concept of it especially- a sophisticated, cosy wine bar.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband & I visited for a special occasion... due to a last minute change of plans, we were in a bit of a rush to eat. We walked in and expressed this to the server, who was so happy to accommodate our request for semi-speedy service. The ambiance, wine, and (most of) the tapas were so good - we loved the caprese salad! My one complaint would be the arancini - it really just didn't taste like anything. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Let's start with the fact that I'm a italian(which happen to be a chef As well)!! And I LOVE dining out..
Me and my girlfriend been traveling for 10 days around all the north island ,eaten wherever was nice and let's say that we were hoping the same from VIVO!! Beautiful looking restaurant but After been rejected around 7pm because Of a lack of management and sent somewhere else... We came back around 8,30 because we really wanted to dine there and finally we got a table(which was enough to seat 6 peoples)????
we ordered a wine which was on the list dated by 2009 and we got it but was 2012 and even more expensive than the previous one!! But of course nobody told us...Anyway for entree
we ordered the vivo platter which was a mix of few selections
2 kind of meatballs,lamb and beef,
2 kind of arancini, mushroom and something else
2 very old grissini wrapped in a quite thick prosciutto
2 mussels fritters(not too sure about that)
polenta fritters with a gassy garlic mayo
Everything was really bland ..
Another entree that we had was the
Calamari and chorizo ordered at the same time with some garlic bread ,the calamari were
Tough and dry even dough was a stew and beside the fact that chorizo is not Italian!!but because I'm Italian and I love soak the bread into the sauce I was hoping for the bread ,which arrived after 15 minutes later and instead of a normal garlic bread ,we had this sort of nots of home made dough ,which wasn't even cook and we had to leave it !! And I've been told .. That's the way how serve it!!!
Then We had
Gnocchi with butter and pecorino, which was the only good thing of the night 10$ really worth it!! The floor staff was dressed with no-code so was quite hard to understand who was who??? Between waiters/waitress and normal peoples "that's what I meant by LACk of MENAGMENT"
During all the night we have been topped up with water ,but not with wine , even after we have ordered a white wine we didn't even got the ice bucket!! So over all I was DISAPPOINTED from a over 150$ for something that wasn't nothing more then bland food served with even less care!!