Wellington City Bed and Breakfast
US$124
US$192
US$157
  • Restaurant
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$231
US$189
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$82
  • Room Service
At Home Wellington(Wellington)
US$186
US$181
Hotels.com
  • Fitness centre
All reviewsgreat hostsnew appliancesquiet streetspent nightsshort walkgreat place to staylocation is excellentfree wifijeffaccommodationcottageprivacyensuitecomfortcafeskitchenette
Reviewed 30 January 2008

My husband and I were so comfortable at this B&B. It is stylish and convenient. Jeff and Dean were wonderful, tolerant hosts and the cat was appropriately and teasingly aloof. They gave us a ride to the bottom of the Botanical Garden cable car, allowing us to walk down through the gardens into town and Te Papa. We were a little too weary to climb the hill, but the taxi was inexpensive. The location is only a couple of blocks from a wonderful selection of restaurants. This is an excellent choice in Wellington for a couple or a single.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2008

This a stylish townhouse offering a clean, centrally located, and affordable accommodation for single travelers or couples. The beds are comfortable, with bedding of the highest quality, and the bedroom decor sophisticated, yet warm. Every room is bright and airy. My bedroom and adjoining private bath could be shut off from the rest of the house by closing a door in the hall for complete privacy. Ample towels and extra blankets are provided. I was shown where to find dairy products and juice in the refrigerator. Breakfast foods including fruit, breads, juices, cereals, coffee, and a variety of teas are made available on the kitchen counter. Guests are welcome to use the kitchen, dining and sitting areas.

The amenities mentioned so far are pretty much what one expects of any good B&B. What really made this B&B stand out were the many generous personal touches. Jeff and Dean, (and Calvin, the cat), made me feel as welcome as if I were a visiting friend rather than a paying guest. When I arrived in Wellington from the South Island, I was met at the ferry terminal and driven to the house. Without imposing their company on me in any way, they welcomed me to socialize with them if and when I so desired. When I headed out on my own to explore, they loaned me a lightweight backpack in which to carry my camera, guidebook, map, etc.. It was an unexpected highlight of my visit to Wellington to have the pleasure of spending time with them.

Clearly each of the following excursions depended on its fitting into one or both of their schedules, but I was given tours by car and on foot to parts of the city I would not, or could not, have seen otherwise, and I was given a ride to the railroad and bus terminal at the end of my visit.

Two things that make a huge difference for me when I travel are having access to the Internet, and being able to catch up on my laundry from time to time. Jeff and Dean provided a wireless, broadband Internet connection for my use with my laptop computer, and actively assisted me in using their laundry facilities – all at no extra charge.

The B&B is located on the side of Mt. Victoria facing the city center. It is an easy walk from the house to Wellington's Visitor Information Center, Te Papa Museum, the New Zealand national government buildings, and WestPac Stadium. The walk back to the house is a bit more strenuous in its uphill segment, but good exercise for anyone in good health and physically fit.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank MustSeeIt
Reviewed 28 January 2008

My hosts were most helpful, attentive, and friendly right from the start, including picking me up at the airport and giving me assistance for future legs of my trip. They couldn't have made me feel more at home, while at the same time providing me complete freedom. All of my needs were very well met, and if given the opportunity, I'd go back in a minute. A great stop for singles or couples, young or old.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank senecaeagl
Reviewed 27 January 2008

My partner and I spent 2 nights at City Bed and Breakfast in Wellington. We could hardly have found a better place to stay. The B&B is exceptionally well-located, within literally easy walking distance of Wellington city centre (and with a not-so-easy walk up to the top of Mount Victoria on its doorstep!)

Our well-appointed room was spacious, comfortable, and very clean with a good en-suite bathroom. Our hosts were friendly and attentive, clearly willing to help us in any way they could, including garaging our hired car, and unhesitatingly allowing us the use of their laundry facilities.

There is no doubt that if we are fortunate enough to visit Wellingon again, we would hope to be able to stay at City Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2008

My daughter and I stayed with Jeff and Dean for one night in order to take in the Wearable Arts in Wellington. We were given STAR treatment from our collection at the airport thru to leaving 28 hours later. Some inclement weather saw Dean and Jeff personally taxi us into the CBD for the show with an open offer of a ride home afterwards. A dry evening meant we enjoyed a lovely walk back to City Bed and Breakfast.
The room was comfortable and the breakfast was lovely. Calvin was very friendly.
The next day shopping was great,it was good to be able to leave our bags with you.
Thanks again Guys, we would stay again and have certainly recommended you to friends.

Stayed: September 2007