“Wonderfully hospitable and stylish to boot!”

Wellington City Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 45 Wellington B&B and Inns
Central Coast, CA
“Wonderfully hospitable and stylish to boot!”
Reviewed 23 March 2008

Although we only had one night to stay in Wellington, we picked the right place B&B! Dean and Jeff's place is walking distance from all the theaters, lots of great restaurants and shopping! We unfortunately didn't get to meet Jeff because he was out of town, but Dean we a delight to stay with. He was more than willing to hang out and chat, and helped us out with a parking dilemma we encountered at the Ferry station! The bed was very comfortable and their home's decor was impecable! We definitely recommend staying for more than one night. Thanks again!

• Liked — The proximity to the city center, hospitable and accommodating host, nice decor
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
California
Reviewed 21 March 2008

As a first time visitor travelling alone to New Zealand and to Wellington, the personal courtesies shown to me during my 3 night stay were much appreciated. Dean picked me up at the ferry terminal and Calvin greeted me at the door (Jeff was away).

Dean offered much information about what I should see and do while in Wellington and joined me for several outings as his schedule permitted. He was a fantastic host as was Calvin. Other folks have gone into great detail in their reviews about the excellent accommodations so I won’t repeat that here.

My time in Wellington was a special part of my New Zealand vacation due in large part to my stay at this B&B. I was sad to leave as Dean dropped me off at the train station for my trip to Auckland.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
new york city
Reviewed 19 March 2008

My partner andI stayed at the GREAT Wellington B & B as guests of Jeff and Dean and Calvin (their wonderful cat). The location is ideal - walking distance to most sights and restaurants . Both Jeff and Dean took a personal interest in our visit and made our stay most memorable - only wish that we could have stayed there longer - but looking forward to returning! Lawrence and Alberto NYC NY

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank tituaman
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2008

My partner John and I spent 2 nights at City Bed and Breakfast in Wellington. We could hardly have found a better place to stay. The B&B is exceptionally well-located, within literally easy walking distance of Wellington city centre. Two wonderful hoste made this an excellent place to relax and explore the area. Thanks Greg & John in Canada

• Liked — Friendly owners
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 31 January 2008

Wellington City B&B is great! The accommodation is comfortable and clean with many personal touches provided by Jeff and Dean. This B&B is the perfect location for exploring Wellington City and Jeff and Dean are both exceptional hosts. We had a great time and look forward to returning.

• Liked — The hospitality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank newsealand
atlanta
Reviewed 30 January 2008

My husband and I were so comfortable at this B&B. It is stylish and convenient. Jeff and Dean were wonderful, tolerant hosts and the cat was appropriately and teasingly aloof. They gave us a ride to the bottom of the Botanical Garden cable car, allowing us to walk down through the gardens into town and Te Papa. We were a little too weary to climb the hill, but the taxi was inexpensive. The location is only a couple of blocks from a wonderful selection of restaurants. This is an excellent choice in Wellington for a couple or a single.

• Liked — The quality of the rooms and the hosts
  • Disliked — The hill
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 29 January 2008

This a stylish townhouse offering a clean, centrally located, and affordable accommodation for single travelers or couples. The beds are comfortable, with bedding of the highest quality, and the bedroom decor sophisticated, yet warm. Every room is bright and airy. My bedroom and adjoining private bath could be shut off from the rest of the house by closing a door in the hall for complete privacy. Ample towels and extra blankets are provided. I was shown where to find dairy products and juice in the refrigerator. Breakfast foods including fruit, breads, juices, cereals, coffee, and a variety of teas are made available on the kitchen counter. Guests are welcome to use the kitchen, dining and sitting areas.

The amenities mentioned so far are pretty much what one expects of any good B&B. What really made this B&B stand out were the many generous personal touches. Jeff and Dean, (and Calvin, the cat), made me feel as welcome as if I were a visiting friend rather than a paying guest. When I arrived in Wellington from the South Island, I was met at the ferry terminal and driven to the house. Without imposing their company on me in any way, they welcomed me to socialize with them if and when I so desired. When I headed out on my own to explore, they loaned me a lightweight backpack in which to carry my camera, guidebook, map, etc.. It was an unexpected highlight of my visit to Wellington to have the pleasure of spending time with them.

Clearly each of the following excursions depended on its fitting into one or both of their schedules, but I was given tours by car and on foot to parts of the city I would not, or could not, have seen otherwise, and I was given a ride to the railroad and bus terminal at the end of my visit.

Two things that make a huge difference for me when I travel are having access to the Internet, and being able to catch up on my laundry from time to time. Jeff and Dean provided a wireless, broadband Internet connection for my use with my laptop computer, and actively assisted me in using their laundry facilities – all at no extra charge.

The B&B is located on the side of Mt. Victoria facing the city center. It is an easy walk from the house to Wellington's Visitor Information Center, Te Papa Museum, the New Zealand national government buildings, and WestPac Stadium. The walk back to the house is a bit more strenuous in its uphill segment, but good exercise for anyone in good health and physically fit.

• Liked — Comfort, convenience, and friendly service
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo