We arrived about 8.30 am and had the springs to ourselves for most the time which was very nice and peaceful, it isn't a big area so I think too many people could be too claustraphobic. Its a beautiful spot. The algae does seem a bit odd to begin with but you soon get used to it. Half way through we got out to have tea and some delicious brownie that we bought there and then got back. The day we went the restaurant was closed because they were quiet so don't rely on being able to have lunch or dinner there and the next nearest places are some way away. The sandflies were ok to begin with but then became a bit much, but that is just part and parcel of being in that area of the South Island, so i would reccomend making the effort to get there early in the day. We did arrive the night before and asked if they did an special room rates for walk ins but the man on the desk was adament that they wouldn't despite being empty bar one room that night, we stayed in our camper van so that was fine but at an obviously very quiet time of the year they could be missing out on opportunities for extra business by not offering any special rates when its so quiet anyway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maruia Hot Springs is located on the Lewis Pass in a National Park where you can enjoy picturesque mountain views and look out to the flowing waters of the Maruia River while bathing in our 100% Natural mineral hot pools. Our pools are completely natural (no chemicals used), enjoy bathing in hot water sourced directly from our bore, our water has a high mineral content, which is considered to have healing properties especially for skin conditions and joint and muscle pain. We have 3 outdoor hot pools, and an indoor bath house that are open 7 days a week from 8am-9pm. We also have a private bathing pavilion available by booking, or in our package deals. Come and enjoy a serene and quiet bathing experience away from crowds and cell phones. Our Cafe is open 7 days a week so if you are driving past grab a coffee and enjoy a foot bath amongst the wildlife and beautiful views from our deck. Perfect for bird lovers! The restaurant open 7 days a week and offers a fresh new Kiwiana menu and a classic breakfast menu that includes poached eggs with homemade Hollandaise sauce. Visit our website to book and come and enjoy a unique experience in the tranquillity of the mountains. As new owners we are passionate about working towards making Maruia Hot Springs into a World Class resort and a pure New Zealand experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Maruia Hot Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maruia Springs Thermal Resort Ltd Hotel South Island
- Maruia Springs Thermal Hotel Ltd
- Maruia Hot Springs New Zealand/South Island