“marlborough vintners hotel”

Marlborough Vintners Hotel
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Blenheim
Reviewed 17 November 2011

fab location amongst top vineyards.3 of us girls took our annual holiday within the south island this year, and so pleased we did..the rooms were huge, the bathroom the size of a double bedroom almost..the main bedroom was spacious and beds so comfy..we had singles, and a pull down sofa in lounge, which was amazingly comfy.it was so so clean inside, lovely toiletries
white fluffy towels..sharon, the breakfast receptionist was amazing..friendly, helpful, and an asset to the company..would certainly return..
we thought the breakfast was fantastic, bagels croissants, fresh breads, and the most amazing salmon from the region..cream cheese..MUESLI was homemade and the most fantastic i have ever ever tried..the restaurant overlooked a beautiful huge garden..
was just fantastic..thank you..
trudy longson, chrissie, and lyn

Room Tip: take a room closest to the driveway..not the trees..think ours was number 6..had a long window on th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
MVHGeneralManager, General Manager at Marlborough Vintners Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Thank you very much for posting such a glowing review! We were really pleased to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. Sharyn certainly is a great staff member and always a welcome face at reception and breakfast. Thank you for recognising her and I will make sure she is aware of your praiseful review. Thanks again, Kind Regards Catherine Bone

Reviewed 16 November 2011

We booked this on the recommendation of other Trip advisor reviews and were not not disappointed. Great room, superb location and very friendly staff. Dinner excellent. Breakfast slightly disappointing; the breads/pastries were all chilled and there was no hot alternative.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
MVHGeneralManager, General Manager at Marlborough Vintners Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Thank you for your Trip advisor review. Its great that the site helped you to find us and no doubt your review will in turn assist others. Just in response to your comment about breakfast, we offer a gourmet continental breakfast consisting of many hand made dishes. We always offer to heat the croissants and pastries if desired by our guests. They are freshly baked but given the time scale that they are available we prefer to heat them on demand.
Thank you again, Kind Regards, Catherine Bone General Manager, MVH

Reviewed 11 November 2011

My 70-year-old (still very active) father and I were on a "boys" trip to New Zealand for the 2011 Rugby World Cup and went on a quick tour of the South Island in-between the Semi-finals and Finals weekends. As a general tip - Spring is a glorious time of year to visit New Zealand: blue skies filled with fluffy white clouds; moderate temperature around the 16-18 C mark; zero humidity.

We had decided not to over-plan our South Island tour, and had pretty much only booked flights and hotels, leaving excursions to a play-by-ear, see-how-we-feel strategy. As a wine-enthusiast, one of the must-do's on the tour for me, though, was a stop in the Marlborough wine country (and a visit to Cloudy Bay - one of my favourite NZ wineries!). I selected the Marlborough Vintners Hotel (MVH) on the basis of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and I can safely say that the hotel truly lived up to - and possibly even exceeded - expectations.

Situated approximately 10 minutes' drive from Blenheim airport, the MVH comprises a number of semi-detached suites and a central dining / recreation / administration building in the middle of a most picturesque setting of vineyards, vineyards and more vineyards. Blenheim sits in a wide, flat basin surrounded by snow-capped peaks, making for a stunning 360-degree vista, combined with the millions of rows of vines and the brilliant blue skies. The property is beautifully maintained, featuring a tree-lined driveway and a lovely little garden by the main dining area, redolent with herbs and fruit and ideal for a leisurely afternoon coffee...

I had selected one of the higher-priced suites, paying extra for the view, and can honestly say that it was fully worth it. Our suite was located at the top end of the property and featured views of vineyards as far as the eye can see, looking out from either side of the suite. The suite itself was spacious and modern, beautifully maintained just like the main property. The bedroom was large and comfortable, with ample cupboard-space. The bathroom was huge, with a contemporary design, great shower and elegant toiletries. The separate living room would have easily accommodated a large family, and included comfy sofas, a dining table and a fully-equipped kitchenette. Coffee and tea was provided in the room with the hotel's compliments, as was wi-fi, which I appreciated as a thoughtful gesture and one which more hotels ought to do...Another nice little touch was the daily newspaper we found on our door-step each morning.

Although the fully-equipped kitchenette gave us the option of effectively self-catering, as we were only there for two nights, we decided to have breakfast and dinner at the hotel itself (lunch is not catered for, but you can always have an afternoon coffee - the hotel has a barrista-standard coffee machine and turned out delicious espressos and cappuccinos on request). Breakfast was labelled "continental", but that turned out to be quite a modest tag, given the spread that was laid on: crusty, rustic bread; home-made jams and preserves; a selection of prosciutto and cheese; cereals; boiled eggs and a most beautiful house-smoked salmon that my father and I (being salmon aficionados) dug into with gusto...

We dined in on both nights of our stay as well. The food was five-star quality, featuring the freshest of New Zealand produce, skilfully cooked and elegantly presented. As one would expect in the heart of wine country, the menu was complemented with a wine list that I found to be just right - not too long, and featuring a nice selection of local wine to offer sufficient opportunity to sample plenty of variety. The dinner menu was also varied enough to offer ample choice without being overly complicated - fresh produce, cooked well will always be a winner in my book...

The staff at the MVH were also five-star quality, not just in terms of the standard of service, but also in terms of how friendly, welcoming and helpful they were. Everyone, from the receptionist to the waitress to the chef (who was a really nice chap, in addition to being a top-notch chef) to the gardner / handyman was friendly, ever willing to stop for a chat and went out of their way to be helpful: the gardner ran us over to the Vintage Airplane museum (well worth a visit, by the way) when we didn't have a taxi and then turned up to pick us up a few hours later without our even asking; when my father mentioned to the manager of the hotel while were at dinner that he was feeling the cold that evening, she promptly nipped out to turn on the heating in our suite so that it would be warm by the time we got back after dinner...none of this felt "forced" or "rehearsed" - the staff were genuinely warm and caring, which to me only added to what was already a fantastic stay at the MVH.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for one of the more scenic rooms. The others are clustered relatively cl...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Many thanks for the detailed review of your stay with us. It was very kind of you to take the time to write your review and share the details of your stay with fellow travellers. We take alot of pleasure in looking after our guests and its great to get such wonderful feedback. Thank you again, Kind Regards Catherine Bone General Manager MVH

Reviewed 12 October 2011

A 2 night stay at MVH was a highlight of a 2 week NZ trip, covering mostly the South Island. The cool and modern ambience of the room - actually a suite - plus the personal and warm feel of the restaurant was a great combination. A near full moon over the surrounding vineyards added. As did the excellent salmon, clean and simple, letting it speak for itself. The very personable sommelier added a new wine to my palate, and host for the evening Jennifer suggested the dinner courses. I was impressed that due to it being midweek low season I was the only person in the restaurant that night, but the full selection of dishes, and wine by the glass, was available. The rain showerhead provided a silken shower, and heated floor was another plus. The location can't be beaten - right in the center of the golden mile - and minutes by car or bicycle from many of Marlborough's best vineyards, both well-known internationally, and boutiques drunk exclusively by in the know Kiwis. Michelin-rated Herzog is also close by, and additional restaurants and bays in the cute/kitschy center of town. The full kitchen is useful for foodies buying local produce and wine who want to try their hand at producing a local kiwi meal and dining in private. Very highly recommmended, not to be missed.

Room Tip: Room 13, furthest into the vineyards, has privacy and great views.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank auspemburung

Thank you very much for your warm review of your time spent on holiday here at MVH. We really appreciate your wonderful sentiments and appreciate the indepth appraisal you have shared with your fellow travellers! Thanks again, Kind Regards,
Catherine Bone, General Manager, Marlborough Vintners Hotel

Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon - if we knew what we knew now, we would have stayed longer. To begin our flight was delayed so we were not getting in until much later (10:30pm or so). We contacted the hotel to make sure we would still be able to check in, and they were more than accomodating, offering to have some dinner organised for us in our room for our late arrival. When we finally landed, they had sent a car to pick us up, as the rental places were usually closed.

The room was fantastic, and nothing better than having your morning coffee looking at the view over the vines.

Dinner at the hotel was also AMAZING. service was fantastic, and the waitress had a fantastic personality along with being very knowledgeable.

We were very sad to leave, but looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
MVHGeneralManager, General Manager at Marlborough Vintners Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so glad that you had a memorable stay with us and that it added to the enjoyment of your honeymoon, Thanks again and I will pass on your accolades to our Chef and Maitre d'. We look forward to welcoming you upon your return! Kind Regards, Catherine

Reviewed 23 September 2011

Ideally situated in the centre of the wine region the hotel has spacious and well appointed luxury apartments. Very welcoming and helpful staff make you instantly at home here and ready to enjoy your stay. The restaurant is of a high standard and the service good although perhaps lacking in a proper bar area in which to relax. If there is better on offer in the region we certainly saw no sign of it. This is a place you can book in confidence.

• Stayed: September 2011

Many thanks for taking your time to pass on your lovely review. I am so glad that you enjoyed yourselves and you obviously appreciated the convinient location of our property to the wineries. Thank you again, Kind Regards, Catherine Bone, GM

Reviewed 1 September 2011

This is the first in a series of reviews during a recent trip on the South Island of New Zealand. As luck would have it, I had the good fortune at being able to stay the the Marlborough Vintners Hotel in the wine country of New Zealand.

I had been in country for two days and decided to tour the Marlborough area and happened upon this hotel after a Tripadvisor search. I arrived at the beginning of their spring season and was one of only a few guests at the hotel. This was my good fortune. For one thing, compared to other similarly rated hotels in the area, location sets it apart. It is literally located in the middle of a vineyard in a very quiet rural setting. The hotel is of a rustic, modern architectural design and this is carried over into the modern designed interiors.

I presented without a reservation and to my good luck hit "the sweet spot" where they did have plenty of rooms since it was very early in their season. The hospitality started on my arrival when Jen, the desk manager on duty, helped to find a room in my travel budget range- this happened to be a smaller suite at the very back of the property.
This had several advantages- for one the view outside my room was spectacular- surrounded by acres of grape vines with a fantastic background of the local range of the
South Island Alps --some still snow-capped! In the country setting it was very quiet and the view of the night sky was spectacular with very low light pollution- this is really one of the first times I have seen the Milky Way in my 50 years of life! ***NOTE TO ASTRONOMY CLUBS: with the rural location and excellent seeing this would be perfect place for a star party - especially for a club trip outside the US and northern hemisphere- the management seemed receptive to this idea for future marketing!

The suites are in separate buildings with two suites to a building. Again, the decor is modern, contemporary and the suite was VERY clean. Sliding glass doors open up the space of the suites with the fantastic views as mentioned above. Amenities include fridge, microwave and a bar sink in the main living area, bedroom with king bed and a spacious bathroom with tile by tubes in the sub-flooring - the walk-in shower also has plenty of room. The grounds are immaculate and have a small garden amongst the vineyard.

The main building houses reception and a rustic/modern, lodge-style restaurant which is complete with a sitting area and fireplace that makes it very cozy. A nice view of the garden and surrounding vineyards is afforded through glass doors opening onto a patio area with bistro tables and chairs. Anita, my hostess/server was more than gracious and made several good suggestions on food and wine combinations which were artfully and tastefully prepared by the hotel chef. The cuisine is centered around local foods and of course has a wide variety of local wines. I felt the service was superb!

One difficulty I did experience during my stay was the high-speed, wi-fi internet which was somewhat less than desirable, although the staff tried to help me connect to the system as best they could.

Overall, the Marlborough Vintners Hotel reflects the best that New Zealand has to offer in scenery, food and environment. I also found the staff to be reflective of the nature of New Zealanders with their friendly, honest and caring attitude. I give this hotel 5 stars for cleanliness, up-keep of the environment and the service in general provided by the staff.

I was fortunate to meet the guest relations manager, Sharyn and the General Manager, Katherine who were very helpful in making my stay a pleasant one,

Room Tip: Time your visits well, avoid the rush of high season and communicate your desires directly to the st...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review and being so kind to pass on your lovely comments about your stay, the service and the property. I really do appreciate it. We are very lucky here with our location as we do get such magnificent night skies that it really is quite magical. With very little light pollution because of our quiet and rural location it makes the night sky seem more special than usual especially appreciated by star gazers! Thank you again, Kind Regards, Catherine Bone, GM Marlborugh Vintners Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blenheim
Chateau Marlborough
#14 of 32 in Blenheim
Quality Hotel Marlborough
Quality Hotel Marlborough
#16 of 32 in Blenheim

Been to Marlborough Vintners Hotel? Share your experiences!