“pearl of Blenheim accomodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blenheim
Blenheim Backpackers & Motorcamp
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Simply the best accomodation of the South Island we stayed at. We sticked around for 6 weeks and had the best services ever here: wifi, scanner, telephone, hot showers, friendly atmosphere, generous and active hosts,...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 May 2014

this was the second time i stayed here, staff were a great help with finding work. weekly rate of $125 for international backpackers in 4 bed dorms. good size beds and rooms. i would definitely recommend this backpackers for staying and working in Blenheim.

Room Tip: private double rooms are the same weekly price as dorms so great for couples wanting privacy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I would not recommend this hostel to anyone, the price is good but it is not worth staying here. When I arrived it took me a while to find anyone because the office hours starts at 4.00pm and there was no answer to the phone number given. I was then greeted by a rude owner who did not provide any information. I entered the dorm room and found it to be smelly with unclean sheets. In the morning the cleaner entered my room with no knock while I was changing and then offered no apologise. This hostel is more suited to being a camp-site rather than a hostel and is a major disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheal88
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed here for one night and won't be coming back! I arrived in Blenheim at 12 and wanted to check in / leave my bags however I could not do anything until 4pm meaning I had to take my bags with me! When I finally checked in, the showers were not clean nor the toilets. When I asked about somewhere to eat, the guy had no idea and just said in town somewhere you will find something! On the plus side, I did have really nice room mates, the beds are really comfy and I didn't hear the trains when I was asleep!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I really wouldn't recommend staying here when there are much nicer working hostels around Blenheim. To start with something positive though, the staff is very friendly and helpful and will provide you with a list of vineyard contractors when you check in.

But onto the negative. The long-term rooms are so small. I was only sharing with one other girl, but we barely had room to move. The bunk (which has a double bed on the bottom) is crammed against the wall, then there was a table, fridge, and wire shelves, and along with our luggage that left very little floor space. And the absolute worst part were the flies. The entire room was crawling with them. We tried leaving the windows and door open and at other times tried locking them in so they would die, but we had no luck. They were everywhere. Out of everything at the hostel, this was the one thing I couldn't deal with.

As far as the shared facilities, you're basically in a rocky parking lot. One of the kitchens is quite nice while the other one is small and dirty. The showers are pretty terrible. There were only three in the girl's bathroom and after work there was guaranteed to be a line. At least since they aren't nice that encourages you to be quick!

Lastly, the location isn't good either. It's a ten minute walk from the iSite but in the opposite direction of town and the shops. It'll take you at least 15 minutes to walk to the nearest grocery store although I do think they run a shuttle on the weekends.

They do have a swimming pool though, so there's that.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
James D, Manager at Blenheim Backpackers & Motorcamp, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Hello and thanks for your review,

We noticed that the shower area was quite busy during peak hours so have opened up an additional shower for guests staying in our cabins .If everyone respects each other and takes reasonably lengthened showers then the flow is pretty good but unfortunately since we live in a communal environment people are unpredictable and some abuse of it.

The summer season in New Zealand brings on flies, it was the same when i was living on the North Island . We routinely spray around the camp for flies. Also there is always a can of bug spray available for guests at reception .

We realize that being 15 minutes out of the city center is a bit of a hassle .That is why we have free bikes which guests can borrow . We also have a free shuttle on Sundays going to Pak n Save .

Thank you and have a great trip in New Zealand Maria

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed for 3 weeks and did some vineyard work in the Blenheim area. From the reception we got a list of contractors and had a really cheap weekly rate for staying in our campervan. The hostel sees itself as a working hostel. This is almost the case. Only the showers are not even close to ones you would have to have in a working environment.

Everyday many backpackers came back from work and after the first few had their shower there was no warm water until late in the evening. And this was the case almost every day. Only on days, where not so many people were out working the showers worked normally.

Right now I would not recommend to stay there because nothing pisses you more off, than a cold shower after a hard working day in the vineyards. We told them a couple of times about the problem and I am sure, that they will work something out. When this problem is fixed, the place is the most perfect place to stay in Blenheim, when you are going to do some seasonal work.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and Thanks for your review,
The following week after you left we set up 2 hot water generators directly connected to the bathrooms and im happy to say that there hasn't been a hot water complaint ever since.

Cheers and enjoy your time in New Zealand

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed for three nights to do the vineyards and it was a great location. Its basic but clean and very safe.

Only downside is the railway track next to it, but you will get that with all the backpacker locations in Blenheim.

Room Tip: Go for the cabins, cheap and private!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends