“Great rooms good loaction”

Scenic Hotel Marlborough
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Blenheim
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Hotel is in process of being renovated but I stayed in one o the renovated rooms. Very comfortable spacious great bed and furnit-rue and fittings, Well thought out. Bathroom and shower were excellent. Had room service breakfast (no extra charge which was a plus) as te restaurant hasn't been modernised yet and looked a bit like a canteen.
Location was great close to main town but on a quiet street with a lovely park next door

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed really good I was on 3rd floor on car park side and it was quiet
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
BrettInkster, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Marlborough, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay with us at the Scenic Hotel Marlborough. We are currently in the middle of our refurbishment of our public areas, and I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable.
I hope to welcome you back to our refurbished hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Scenic Hotel Marlborough

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed here as part of the Kirra Tour and we weren't disappointed. The hotel was undergoing renovations, however we were welcomed very warmly and guided to our hotel rooms. We both had a brand new renovated room which was amazing! The hotel wasn't full of travellers and is right in the centre of town - a very short walk across the square and close to the shops and cafes etc. The room decor was amazing - flat screen large tv on the wall, lovely bathroom, large size room and comfortable bed. Dinner was amazing - three courses again - included chicken salad, cantebury lamb and a chocolate slab. Breakfast was very good too - had eggs benedict!! Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank adelgirl70
BrettInkster, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Marlborough, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us, also great to hear you enjoyed your Dinner & Breakfast.!

We hope to welcome you back soon to the Scenic Hotel Marlborough in the future.

Kind Regards,
Brett Inkster,
General Manager.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Have stayed here twice in the last 6 months. Rooms are nice, recently refurbished. Breakfast is rubbish. Also house keing does not replenish bathroom and kitchen items. Apart from that it is adequate for a regioal town. Bed is comfortable

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank andmarWellington
BrettInkster, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Marlborough, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us, if you would like to go into further detail of your experience please do not hestiate to contact me: brett.inkster@scenichotels.co.nz.
We value your feedback and strive to improve the goods and services we have available to our guests.
I have passed you feedback onto our housekeeping team, generally with guests staying multiple nights, shower amenities are not replaced until fully used as part of our environmentally friendly prodedure however I will ensure that this is monitored in the future.
We hope to welcome you back to the Scenic Hotel Marlborough in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

This place lived up to the previous Trip Advisor reviews, being mid winter, the place wasn't full. I was given room 305, top floor overlooking the pool and Seymour Square, the top floor rooms have the windows built into the roof line which give the rooms a loft type feel and are totally gorgeous, only stayed 2 nights and wished it was more.
I arrived early sunday afternoon and the room was ready on arrival, the receptionist was bright, personable and professional, as for the room WOW, the detail that went into the redesign has been amazing, there was nothing I didn't like about the room, it was quirkey and comfortable, two words that don't always go hand in hand in hotels, but here they did.
The waste and recycling bins under the mini bar cabinet were brilliant, the bathroom was smaller, but with a great walk in shower and the best bathroom amenities I've seen in a long time in Hotels, as well as being local Kiwi products. The mini bar products are first rate and the prices are applicable and it was good to see quality glassware and crockery in the refreshment area.
My favourite is the overall treatment of decor, the 3D effect of the backing boards and bedhead along with the backlighting of the bedhead, by night it looked great, the bed was a dream I did not want get up from, you are sleeping on cloud.
My favourite design feature was the floating work desk and the high tech features, USB hub internet, audio/video connection to the LCD TV, this kind of room in New York City would cost $400-500 per night.
As for the staff, it's pure New Zealand charm, I know it's in their DNA, from arrival, having breakfast and walking in and out the door you are recognized and greeted and it doesn't add to the room rate!
Something I don't normally do in hotels is dine in, here I had dinner in the room on Sunday night, breakfast on Monday morning and dinner in the bar on Monday night, the meals were great, they simply couldn't be faulted.
After staying here I know I can feel safe to book hotels in Queenstown and Dunedin as well as on the west coast with Scenic Hotels on my next trip to New Zealand, and I look forward to visiting this hotel again in Blenheim, by then the rest of the refurbishment will be finished, it will be great to come back.

Room Tip: I loved the rooms on the top floor but in this hotel I don't think there will be any bad rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Airline_GuySydney
BrettInkster, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Marlborough, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us here in Marlborough.
Your kind words detail every aspect that my team and I are working hard on perfecting to ensure all our guests stays are comfortable, and their expectations exceeded.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Scenic Hotel Marlborough in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Scenic is a juxtaposition of era's which I found superb. Recently upgraded the rooms are high tech and very modern with iPhone bed side docks, 4 x USB in wall chargers, every cable connection for iPad/computer/iphone to TV you could want. The minibar was very well stocked and included items that hotels we've stayed in priced at $1600 per night haven't had. The bed was very comfortable, while the bathroom was small (no bath) but perfectly adequate.

The rest of the hotel is yet to be refurbished, and frankly I think it will be a shame when it is. It is currently in the 70's style and being a child of the 70's, has its own very unique charm. It does not seem tired, just transposed from 1975 to today. I loved it. The bar felt a little like Fawlty Towers decor without Basil (mores the pity). It is a shame that once refurbished it will lose the unique charm it has, and to me it seems perfect as is - super modern rooms with wonder bygone era facilities.

We didn't eat in the hotel, preferring to eat at Hotel D'Urville (superb, award winning, must try restaurant), but we did use the Spa, Sauna area which was very clean and pleasant.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The top floor has wonderful Velux sky lights in the room we stayed in.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay with us at the Scenic Hotel Marlborough. We have put a great deal of throught into our accommodation rooms - ensuring they provide the essentials for all different types of travelling guests. It is fantastic that you enjoyed your stay in our recently refurbished rooms.
Our second stage of the hotel refurbishment is set to begin August this year, and even though the current 'unique charm' will undergo a face lift, we believe that the character of the Scenic Hotel Marlborough will remain intact, seeing the entire property sitting at a four star plus Qualmark rating.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Ever tried to find and book accommodation online using a mobile phone? Why oh why are so many travel websites not optimised for use on a mobile? Come on, guys! Anyway, after 15 minutes of squinting at the screen, all the while missing the fabulous scenery flashing past the car, I gave up trying to view and book other options and chose the first listing on the first site that worked properly: Scenic Hotel Marlborough.

We weren't expecting much, given that we'd kind of put a pin in a virtual map. Our first impression after check-in was that the corridor leading to our room, while beautifully renovated, smelt of something wierd, perhaps some chemical in the new carpet, or forty years worth of salesmen's cigarettes and steak-and-chips that a refurbishment couldn't completely erase. But once we got into our room and closed the door, the smell was gone and the corridor didn't matter any more. The room was fabulous.

It had everything we needed. An iPod dock with speakers. A charging hub for anything you could think of to charge, plus USB ports so you could review your photos on the huge flat-screen TV, or connect it to your laptop. A huge bed, crisp clean white linen, light fluffy duvet, good pillows. Beautiful new bathroom, with a shower big enough for two. Mini bar and kettle. A pirate.

He was in my dream, this shirtless pirate, rowing a small boat towards an island on which birds screeched and monkeys howled, and exotic insects sang in the tangled jungle. I woke. Three a.m. My pirate - he was gone! But the whistling, screeching continued, faintly, as if from across a placid sea. My real-life pirate woke grumpily, dressed, and started the long trek downstairs to make sure the noise wasn't coming from our car alarm. It wasn't. It was coming from the air conditioning in our room. We shrugged and decided not to worry about it. If you pretended it was the sound of the distant jungle, it was easy to get back to sleep.

We loved this place and it was excellent value for money. We also had a great meal here, which I will review separately. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: If you have pirate fantasies, chose room 204.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We contunially strive to improve the services we offer our guests, and the airconditioning unit (or pirate) is under revision.
As we move into the second stage of our refurbishment, we will see the public areas transformed into a level that compliments our accommodation rooms, with the entire hotel sitting at a four star plus level.
We hope to welcome you back to the Scenic Hotel Marlborough in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed here one night with my daughter. She especially loved the chocolates they left in the room. For the price we paid, this was a really nice clean rooms. The beds were super soft (had a pillow top), which I really enjoyed. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the heater. When it was on, there was a bright green light on the wall by my bed, but it seemed to go off automatically after some time (I discovered in the middle of the night). Luckily the blankets were heavy, but it seemed I had to choose between warmth and a bright light in the room... Just a pet peeve of mine (seems like so many hotels have bright or blinky lights by the bed). Everything else was really nice, so I would go back (maybe would prefer not in winter).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your local welcoming chocolates, and our feather beds.
We are sorry that the heatpump light was disruptive to your sleep, this is under constant revision as we try to ensure the units are unobtrusive to our guests stay - therefore this feedback is very useful for us.