“Lovely hotel but its the little things that count”

Scenic Hotel Marlborough
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Blenheim
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

This is our second time staying at this hotel. The first time we loved it. This time however was a different story.
Firstly on check in we paid the full price of the room plus $100 as a deposit, I didn't mind this but as seeing we were returning guests in a short period thus wouldn't of been the case.
Next morning we came down for breakfast, it was beautiful. I left my husband to charge it to the room while I looked to buy some jewelry from the cabinet in the hall. After a few minutes my husband still wasn't out so I went back in. 2 staff and my husband was standing at the till, I walked over and heard "no charging to room" I said that there wasn't a problem last time to which he said if we move over to the front desk where he would check it.
The lady at the front desk came over to the other computer where my husband and I were standing with the male member of staff. She started talking about policy and no credit card, I told here that this is the 2nd time that we stayed here and there wasn't a problem then. She stated again about policy so my reply was "shouldn't you not have told us that when we checked in?"
They eventually took the "do not charge" note off the room but at that stage the damage had been done.
We ate out at a local restaurant that night and we had breakfast out the next morning, I wasn't charging anything else to the room! With their rudeness the restaurant lost out in $250-300 of custom. And to be honest we loved this hotel but I can honestly say we won't be back.
On checking out I told the lady at the front desk about the dust in the room, eg in the tea and coffee stand, on the wine bottle (so much I was able to draw a line down the bottle) and on the base of the round night stand. Her answer was very matter to of fact and that she'd mention to housekeeping. No sorry just to the book replies, not very friendly.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Marlborough, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry that you had a poor experience with us. Yes we do have a policy regarding pre-authorisations and bonds but it seems we could have handled this in a far better way so that it did not detract from the enjoyment of your stay. In the very least we should have kept you fully informed. Please accept my apologies for this.

I would dearly love to have the opportunity to win back your trust and if there is anything I can do to persuade you to give us another chance then do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Scenic was the last stop on our 2.5 week road trip around the south Island

- The rooms were modern, clean and a decent size. Beds were very comfortable and the aircon very efficient. Windows Open for fresh air and it's pretty quiet outside. Shower was large and clean with a line for hanging your washing.

- The interior of the hotel is very well maintained including all the common area furniture and carpet which all looks as new.

- We used the spa and sauna a few times, which can be booked and locked for privacy, both were clean and well maintained and no extra cost. Pool was also very clean with fresh towels available.

- Clean and Efficient Guest laundry on the top floor .

- WIFI is free for the first hour every day, and I found the rates quite reasonable for extending this ($20 for 4 devices for 24 hours)

- Plenty of parking in the hotel car park and side street if needed. Car Park is right outside the hotel with a very short walk to your your room. Safe and Well Lit, no worries about the car being safe here.

- We ate at the hotel restaurant twice and all 4 of us found each meal to be good quality with average pricing. Excellent selection of local wines. The service was generally good.

- Good Location, short walk to shops/department store and supermarkets. River and Cafes also not far away. Very good location for touring Marlborough Vineyards and day trips to Nelson and Picton.

My one an only piece of constructive feedback was that the guy who checked us in who I wont name was a bit ti snotty for this hotel, he acts like its the savoy or Ritz.... not in keeping with the region or style of the hotel... just my 2 cents.

Room Tip: I would recommend the top floor... although avoid rooms close to the laundry
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for staying with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. We try and get all the little details right, you mention a few of them in your review, so it was worrying to hear about the reception you received. This is certainly not what we are aiming for and most unlike the receptionist in question. My apologies for this and I hope it did not detract from the enjoyment of your stay too much.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The chef at this restaurant knows his food and his wine. Our entire tour group bemoaned that our late evening arrival left us limited time to enjoy an absolutely top level dining experience with wine pairings all the way through. They took our orders while our bus was still bringing us along, and did everything to maximize the time we did have. Food was ready when we got there, and each wine pairing was absolutely delightfully matched! And afterwards, I think every member of our tour affirmed to our director that the beds were the most comfortable they'd experienced in any hotel. Can't say more than that. This was only an overnight stop before rolling on to more South Island adventures, but it sure was memorable! And our other Scenic Hotel stays, by the way, were too. I've got that hotel chain on my "good list" for next time! In case you couldn't tell, the service staff were all right on top of their game.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Marlborough, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. Marlborough is well known good food and wine and I am glad that we did not disappoint. I can assure you that it takes hours of hard graft tasting wine to ensure our list displays a good range of local wines!!

Best wishes and I hope to see you again if you visit New Zealand in the future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The room is nice and bright. Buffet is very good in the morning. The location is a 10 min walk for main street. I would have been very disappointed with this Hotel because of the first room they gave us (1st floor just near the elevator). Thank to the Staff that night, they made a big effort in getting me the room I had requested. The Hotel was fully booked with lots of large group, do we could not go to Dinner or Breakfast at the time we wanted. This chain is aiming at large group, so I would avoid it if you're looking for a more intimate place.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a quiet room far away from the large group. Our room at the end of the corridor o...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our team looked after you so well.

Being the largest hotel in town we do attract some group business but this should not detract from our guest's enjoyment of their stay. Most groups arrive fairly late in the day and leave first thing in the morning although they do often dine in our restaurant. As a result we try and manage our booking times to avoid any delays in service. I understand that dining in a restaurant with a group is not always the desired option but we do offer our same menu in Mondrians Bar or on the terrace if a quieter spot is preferred.

Many thanks once again for your valuable feedback and I hope to see you again soon.

With best wishes

Reviewed 27 December 2013

A very nice hotel. We found that all Scenic hotels were very good . This was no exception in Blenheim. The rooms were clean, spacious and the beds were the most comfortable we encountered.Staff were very friendly and obliging and couldn't have been more helpful.A pleasure to stay Scenic.Dinner was a la carte and a bit long winded in arriving but food was very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip around New Zealand.

With best wishes

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I was arrived early, and a young gentleman wanted me to wait until 2 pm for checking in.
That was fine because that was the rules. I could accept it.
Well, the gentleman just said that, without any other suggestions.
I asked him if he can arrange the transportation for me on next morning to the airport, then he seemed not knowing well about that.
He checked many files for long time and found nothing.
Then, I gave up to asked him to do those things.

After that, I asked if i could put checked my baggages in the hotel therefor I could go out for a lunch then come back.
Fortunately, he accepted my request and give me tags for the baggages.

2 hours later, I went back to the hotel.
He was still there.
I asked if the room is avalible now?
He said NO.(That's it.)

God helped me, he left the front desk in 5 mins for lunch.
His colleague Mellissa(Hope I spell in right way) asked me if she can help me.
After my mention, she made a call, and said my room might be available in 30 mins.
And she helped me to book a taxi for next morning.

The room was nice, location was good.
Only the experience of people, it made me upset.
That was my last night in New Zealand in this trip, I felt not comfortable then the past days.
For those New Zealanders I met before, they were friendly, heart warm, with passions, always willing to help people, especially to foreign travelers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Marlborough, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I was very sorry to hear about the issues you faced on check in - this is far from the high standard that we set ourselves and has taken me a little by surprise because we normally get very good comments about the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.
I can completely understand your frustration - it has highlighted some training needs within our team and this will get my full attention. I am glad that Melissa was able to resolve these issues but I am very sorry that it that it took so long - The Receptionist on duty should have called to prioritise the room with Housekeeping straight away.
Once again, my apologies for the poor service and my thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I have stayed here a few times while I have been in Blenheim for business trips and it has always been a pleasurable stay.

The hotel and rooms are recently renovated and are really nice. The rooms are quite roomy and have a desk as well as a couple of comfy chairs for you to use. The rooms are always immaculate, clean and tidy.

The staff are always polite and great to deal with.

Room service dinners are very yummy and the new restaurant with the outlook over the park in the mornings is a great way to start the day.

All in all a great place to stay and will definately be continuing to stay there when in town.

Room Tip: I have stayed on the third floor all the times I have stayed there and always very quite - windows a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Marlborough, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest

It is always wonderful to hear from our regular guests and thank you for your continued support and patronage. Thank you also for your kind words and I appreciate you taking time out to write your review.

We have had a new Head Chef start recently - Mario - and it is great to hear that his food continues to be yummy. He is currently working on a new menu so hopefully we will have that up and running early in the New Year.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

With best wishes for a Happy Christmas from us all.