“Good location, but tiny and tired”

Quality Hotel Marlborough
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Blenheim
New Zealand
“Good location, but tiny and tired”
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Our tiny room looked into the central courtyard. Although the room was adequate (ie it had everything you needed), it was tiny.

The horizontal blinds let in far too much light and made sleeping difficult, as there are lights on in the courtyard. Also, kids were up at 7am playing in the courtyard, making lots of noise.

The shower didn't drain properly, and after 4 minutes the water was up over my feet. Not great when trying to get ready for a special occasion, like a wedding.

Staff were friendly enough. However, when we got back from breakfast they were about to make up our room, and we had to get ready for a wedding. Instead of offering to come back and make up our room later, they just gave us some extra towels and said they wouldn't service it that day. I had to ask reception if they could make up the room when we departed for ceremony.

I thought the hotel was in a great location, close to town, but for the price, there are better value for money accommodation providers in Blenheim.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Scotland
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Just returned to Scotland, UK after 3 weeks travelling the North and South Islands, and although I don't usually write reviews I have to let fellow travellers know that our best stay was at the Copthorne Hotel, Marlborough. We checked in rather later than expected and met by our hosts, Lee and Kerry, who personally showed us to our delightful ground floor room, modern, spacious and a immaculately clean bathroom. The lounge area with comfy sofa and large screen TV was appreciated after the long drive from Christchurch (actually only 4 hours but we had taken all days stopping to admire the East Coast breathtaking views)
We had decided we should dine in this evening, but had not booked, so we just wandered down towards the Nikau restaurant past the pleasant hotel bar, we could hear the buzz of a busy dinning room, but we were instantly greeted with a friendly smile, and taken to a table overlooking the floodlit pool area. We both choose the fresh local scallops followed by the lamb on kumara fritter and my husband, the fillet steak with blue cheese sauce, perfectly cooked, beautifully presented and simply delicious, all washed down with one of Marlborough finest sauvignons. I only wished I had left room for the desserts as the cheesecake on the next table looked divine. How refreshing it was to see the Chef talking to the guests and checking they had enjoyed their dinning experience, nothing was too much trouble for the staff they clearly wanted you to enjoy the evening.

A comfy bed was calling and I was not disappointed, quality linen and fabrics made a perfect night.

We checked out after a delicious freshly cooked breakfast, travelling to Picton to catch the ferry north.

What a mistake , We should have stayed longer !

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Hotel was somewhat tired and required some updating. Room was rather tiny and lacked adequate air flow even though the temperature was only in the mid 20's C. Staff were very helpful but the outside appearance certainly required some care and attention.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2010

This hotel is situated a fair walk out of town on a busy road. The hotel looked OK & the rooms were big. There was lots of road noise, even with the windows shut, & as they were the only ventilation on a hot night we didn't get much sleep.
We paid for wireless internet. Unfortunately it didn't work at all in our room (11) but was fine if you walked a few steps down the corridor. We were given our money back & told that this was the first they knew.We didn't believe them.
The bathroom looked fine, large mirror down one side with shelf underneath. However with lack of ventilation even with the window open the condensation ran down the mirror & soaked everything on the shelf. We cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ros W
Montreux, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 January 2010

The rooms are nice but quite small. The bathroom is tidy. The staff was very nice and helpful. I had a good deal on Wotif so the price was really OK.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Southern UK
Reviewed 26 December 2009

We stayed in this hotel over Christmas and it was an excellent choice. The room was large & comfortable and the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful even when compared with the usual friendly New Zealand standard.
The hotel is family owned and run and it shows with the attention to detail. The chef is very good and we had a wonderful christmas lunch.
The only minor niggle is that they do not have a guest laundry, a feature we have found very useful in the rest of New Zealand.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 12 December 2009

In reading the other reviews of this hotel I have to admit I had a few concerns prior to booking. However, I was traveling to Marlborough during a somewhat busy weekend and did not have the full range of lodging options available to me.

I have to admit I was very pleased with the hotel. The owners are ten present, but all staff were friendly and helpful. The location is superb. I had been worried it was too far from cthe center of town but it is in fact a short a beautiful walk.

On the heating issue...my room also became quite cold my first evening in the hotel. The wall heater unit did not work, so I was forced to utilize the small space heater provided. It worked like a champ. It did not overheat the room and had different levels so I easily found the perfect setting.

I went on aquite a fewgroup wine tours and had the opportunity to see the lodgings of several other travelers...none that beat the Copthorne. Make no mistake, this is not a 4 star upscale or luxury hotel, but it is a solid product in the midmarket that for me provided an excellent location and excellent value.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo