“Blenheim at short notice.....I do not do reveiws”
Review of Hotel d'Urville

Hotel d'Urville
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Blenheim
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I recently attended a funeral in Blenheim and at short notice booked this hotel as it was in walking distance from the chapel and where the wake was to be held. As a mature guest I was made to feel very welcome and the room was home away from home.....luxury with a wonderful touch in the hall outside my room, a decanter of port and glasses for a night cap.
I had the foresight to book a table in the restaurant for six prior to going to the funeral and so glad I did, @ 7.30 it was full. The meal was exquisite, local wines stunning, and service excellent.
As a kiwi I would be proud to recommend this boutique hotel to anyone visiting NZ

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sTU677

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at the lovely Hotel Durville for two nights leading up to our wedding day and on our wedding night in Blenheim in April 2013. Great accommodation, beautifully appointed rooms, we had the "Angel" room which was lovely. The hotel is an old bank so the room doors are old very heavy vault doors, very characteristic. Our host was Chris was very friendly and attentive to any needs we had, and carried the bags upstairs for us on arrival and answered endless questions! The breakfast was a lovely spread, lots of fresh and dried fruit, different breads, yoghurts, spreads, cereals and the option for cooked breakfast at an extra cost. We really enjoyed our time here over the special event of our wedding in my home town of Blenheim. The bar was a nice meeting spot too for pre wedding catch ups with guests we hadn't seen for a year. Very central you couldn't get more central Blenheim, and overall a lovely boutique hotel experience.

Room Tip: Angel room was the room we had and I think what they use for their "honeymoon" suite. ver...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This hotel is in an old bank building and retains a lof of quirkiness and character. When I went to check in, I waited for 10 minutes til one of the servers came out of the restaurant and checked me in. Kinda wierd but whatever. The manager Chris was there in the morning and he's real helpful and nice...and the rooms are all different and cool in their own way...def the best option in Blenheim.
Food in the restaurant was pretty good, nothing mind blowing, but that's how I felt about most of the food in NZ.

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Our rooms were absolutely fabulous - four poster beds, wonderful bathrooms, complimentary port and red wine, lovely welcome. My son and his girlfriend's room was Moroccan in theme, and featured an authentic daybed with faux ponyskin throws as well as the comfortable four poster main bed. The manager was very welcoming, informing us that breakfast was from 7 until 10 in the morning. I got up early and saw the yummy breakfast spread waiting for us. Unfortunately, when we turned up at 10 past 9, all traces of breakfast had been cleared away, and he rather grudgingly offered to cook us something - an offer we declined. The hotel was very quiet at the time - perhaps we were unlucky?

Room Tip: Room 2 is wonderful.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed in the Venus room, very quirky and a very comfortable bed. Chris the manager was extremely helpful - carried our suitcases upstairs as if they were weightless! Loved the old vault doors and the fact that it is an old building with many features retained.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights and we just loved it. The staff was friendly and attentive and "knew" who we were almost immediately. One kind lady even helped us call our wine tour after we'd returned because we had accidentally lost a bottle of olive oil on our tour bus. It was later dropped off by the company (they get a great review too - see Sounds Connection wine tours) and the staff brought it up to our room- wow!

The room was lovely. We felt it had a lot of charm with the high ceilings and big windows. The bathroom didn't look like much but the shower was truly senational! Also, they provided you with a "real" hair dryer that actually dries your hair as opposed to those cheap ones you usually find in hotels (seriously, this detail must almost exclusively be handled by men who do not know better). We also liked the in room fridge and coffee press. Because the hotel is older, we expected it to be louder, but we never heard anyone else when we were in our room. Here's my one tiny complaint.....the throw pillows in our room were all stained up- gross! For a hotel this nice, why not just replace the throw pillows. I found this odd. Throw pillows aside, we got two wonderful nights of sleep. I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DLK26
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our motelier and it certainly lived up to her rave review. From the great idea of 'tasting' or entree to start up to and including the puddings I couldn't fault the food. Best I've tasted for a long time. Our entrees took a while to appear, but the 'amusee bouche' brought out to keep us going was superb. Salmon mousse to die for. As mentioned in another review the scallops were amazing - cauliflower puree and pickled lime, (I think) on the side complemented but didn't overpower. Mains just as good (I'd love to know what the side was with the fillet mignon). Overall worth every penny.

Room Tip: We didn't stay at the Hotel but only dined there.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blenheim
Chateau Marlborough
Quality Hotel Marlborough
#16 of 32 in Blenheim
Bay Vista Waterfront Motel
St Leonards Vineyard Cottages

Been to Hotel d'Urville? Share your experiences!