“Neat and tidy”

136 On Bealey Motel
Ranked #71 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We enjoyed the comfy bed and found the room clean and tidy. The lady at the desk was really nice. Wifi was cheap. It's location was good - about 10mins walk to CBD. Not that it helps to be close to the CBD any more since the earthquake. There is a really nice cafe on the corner nearby - excellent muffins!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel C

Reviewed 12 March 2013

It's very handy for getting off the intercity bus, ideal not having to walk far with a case. The room was ok, nothing special but a bit dark I felt. The bed was comfy although I found two small black ants on the sheets. I don't know if this was because the room was on the ground floor with patio type doors that allowed them to crawl in. No more appeared and no more signs of any in the room so didn't complain or anything, and so felt ok to sleep there. I suspect you could get better for paying a little more but was ok for a night or two.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FmM_21
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

This was my last day/night with my partner in NZ. We stayed at some really lovely places and some average...this was the WORST!

The motel is not well kept and looks run down. It does look like they are touching a few things up to make it more modern but it still looks delapidated. I lay down on the bed to ensure it was comfy. It was ok. Everything else was below subpar and I figured I could deal with it. We just needed a bed and hot water!

After a quick peek around we got under the sheets to have a nap. I was woken up by something biting me/slight stinging - there was a small red mark on the arch of my foot. I had been eaten alive by Mosquitos in the previous NZ town and I assumed this may have been something from the long drive/delayed reaction - It was not the same feeling as being bitten by a mosquito though and I didn't have any bites on my feet throughout my whole trip. I ignored it and we went about our afternoon from that point.

Upon returning to the motel this bite started to itch like crazy. I compared this mark to a mosquito bite on my thigh i got in Kaikoura - it looked different. Small puncture mark and small red swelling.

I googled info on bed bug's/fleas. I didn't want to sleep knowing there MAY be an infestation. I located a site that provided directions on how to search the mattress/frame. I couldn't find anything...so I felt comfortable going to bed.

Waking up in the morning I had 5 BITES in total on my feet. My legs were not exposed during the night (it was cold) so they were under the blankets the whole time. My partner later found three bites - not as bad as mine though.

I don't know what it could have been but I know it was not a mosquito!!! This is the first time this has ever happened to me - I am disgusted and will never stay here again. If you stayed here I suggest spraying your luggage with insect repellant and vacuuming the creases before storing in your house.

FIND ANOTHER HOTEL OR SLEEP IN YOUR CAR.

• Stayed: February 2013
Shi L, Manager at 136 On Bealey Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Wow, quite a situation which has been presented... we have taken some time to focus on your review due to the nature of the review. We understand that you had a poor time sleeping in our accommodation. We haven't had any complaints of feedback about insect bites especially of this nature.
We are truly sorry for your poor experience and we appreciate your feedback to better our accommodation. I have taken some steps to investigate and resolve your feedback; I can only assume our warm weather has increased insect activity.
I will make sure we have this resolved, was a shame to hear about this through Tripadvisor and not in person.
Regards
James

Reviewed 19 December 2012

My experience at the above motel was a nightmare. The room we had was to have been Refurbished, nice bed but room was not finished, rotten banana's in rubbish bin, missing tiels in bathroom. We stayed one night, the next morning went to have a shower No Hot Water so that was it for us. I got my money back for the next night and found somewhere else to stay. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jody_shead
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We had a good stay here. While the rooms are basic, they have everything you could possibly need and were very clean. The staff were very friendly and our room was nice and quiet. Good value for money and good location within walking distance of the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Shi L, Manager at 136 On Bealey Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Hi There,
Thank you for your time to review, we appreciate your efforts to share your thoughts with other travellers. We have put a huge amount of time and energy into our guest services also updating our rooms.
Our updating program has taken some time to lift off but is now well underway. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you again.
Regards

Reviewed 29 September 2012

I stayed for 3 nights, if you include the stupid 3AM wake up to fly out! While I only rate it as average its not because of bad things, it just doesnt excel in any way.

While its location might be OK in normal times, given Christchurch;s situation the only positive is being on Bealey Avenue.

I got a studio overlooking the car park (Room 14), everything was painted in mission brown with dark coloured accesories.

As mentioned by others the hand basin was seriously stained, could be the water? The shower over bath was excellent and the bath a suitable size for a 6 footer! (I hate having to fill the kettle from the bath/shower!)

Some of the electrical plugs need fixing,at the heater and kettle points especially.

Again, nothing earth shattering, just not up to scratch.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Shi L, Manager at 136 On Bealey Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Hi There,
Thank you for your review, our apologies for our late reply we have been working tirelessly to start our updating program which is now well underway.
We agree with your comments and have invested resource to push this project forward. We are posting updates on our website which will give you some comfort that we are accepting the guest challenge of bettering our accommodation.
Keep an eye on our homepage and you will receive the latest updates.
Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

This motel is strategically located near the intercity coach stop which was very convenient for us since we were traveling from Queenstown to Christchurch via bus. They provided us with a kitchenette, electric blanket, heater, sofa, tv, etc. We really love the stay here and the staff is helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Hey,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your efforts to keep other travellers up to date with local knowledge. We are excited that our updating project is underway and positive changes are being accepted with wow!
We will keep all our quests updated through our website, keep an eye out and you will receive all the latest updates.
Thank you for staying and reviewing, we look forward to your next visit.