“Served a purpose - That's it”

136 On Bealey Motel
Ranked #78 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Served a purpose - That's it”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed here after getting an offer on Wotif - the pictures are very deceiving. Expecting a slightly little more modern and refurbished room we got a tidy room but outdated and quite tired - painted cinderblock walls, all the door frames etc have had a hard life, scratched and paint coming off on corners. Bathroom basic and outdated. Kitchen basic and outdated. I guess disappointed having seen pictures online and then being welcomed to this. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Probably better options at this price.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Armidale, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Accommodation in Christchurch is at a premium. The Avenue Motel is centrally located on Bealey Avenue, walking distance to the still near devastated town centre and close to 2 good pubs (Speights and Bailie's) for good value food. The motel is your old-fashioned NZ motel with a separate kitchen if you want to self-cater (supermarket also nearby). The bedroom is spacious, with good heating and plenty of warm bedding for the cold winter nights in Christchurch. There is a very good cafe next door and other cafes in containers close by. Overall hard to beat at a value price.

Room Tip: There is some traffic noise on the street side but we didn't find that a real problem-if concern...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We enjoyed the comfy bed and found the room clean and tidy. The lady at the desk was really nice. Wifi was cheap. It's location was good - about 10mins walk to CBD. Not that it helps to be close to the CBD any more since the earthquake. There is a really nice cafe on the corner nearby - excellent muffins!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

It's very handy for getting off the intercity bus, ideal not having to walk far with a case. The room was ok, nothing special but a bit dark I felt. The bed was comfy although I found two small black ants on the sheets. I don't know if this was because the room was on the ground floor with patio type doors that allowed them to crawl in. No more appeared and no more signs of any in the room so didn't complain or anything, and so felt ok to sleep there. I suspect you could get better for paying a little more but was ok for a night or two.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank FmM_21
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

This was my last day/night with my partner in NZ. We stayed at some really lovely places and some average...this was the WORST!

The motel is not well kept and looks run down. It does look like they are touching a few things up to make it more modern but it still looks delapidated. I lay down on the bed to ensure it was comfy. It was ok. Everything else was below subpar and I figured I could deal with it. We just needed a bed and hot water!

After a quick peek around we got under the sheets to have a nap. I was woken up by something biting me/slight stinging - there was a small red mark on the arch of my foot. I had been eaten alive by Mosquitos in the previous NZ town and I assumed this may have been something from the long drive/delayed reaction - It was not the same feeling as being bitten by a mosquito though and I didn't have any bites on my feet throughout my whole trip. I ignored it and we went about our afternoon from that point.

Upon returning to the motel this bite started to itch like crazy. I compared this mark to a mosquito bite on my thigh i got in Kaikoura - it looked different. Small puncture mark and small red swelling.

I googled info on bed bug's/fleas. I didn't want to sleep knowing there MAY be an infestation. I located a site that provided directions on how to search the mattress/frame. I couldn't find anything...so I felt comfortable going to bed.

Waking up in the morning I had 5 BITES in total on my feet. My legs were not exposed during the night (it was cold) so they were under the blankets the whole time. My partner later found three bites - not as bad as mine though.

I don't know what it could have been but I know it was not a mosquito!!! This is the first time this has ever happened to me - I am disgusted and will never stay here again. If you stayed here I suggest spraying your luggage with insect repellant and vacuuming the creases before storing in your house.

FIND ANOTHER HOTEL OR SLEEP IN YOUR CAR.

• Stayed February 2013
Shi L, Manager at 136 On Bealey Motel, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Wow, quite a situation which has been presented... we have taken some time to focus on your review due to the nature of the review. We understand that you had a poor time sleeping in our accommodation. We haven't had any complaints of feedback about insect bites especially of this nature.
We are truly sorry for your poor experience and we appreciate your feedback to better our accommodation. I have taken some steps to investigate and resolve your feedback; I can only assume our warm weather has increased insect activity.
I will make sure we have this resolved, was a shame to hear about this through Tripadvisor and not in person.
Regards
James

Travellers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 December 2012

My experience at the above motel was a nightmare. The room we had was to have been Refurbished, nice bed but room was not finished, rotten banana's in rubbish bin, missing tiels in bathroom. We stayed one night, the next morning went to have a shower No Hot Water so that was it for us. I got my money back for the next night and found somewhere else to stay. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jody_shead
Brisbane
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We had a good stay here. While the rooms are basic, they have everything you could possibly need and were very clean. The staff were very friendly and our room was nice and quiet. Good value for money and good location within walking distance of the city.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Shi L, Manager at 136 On Bealey Motel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Hi There,
Thank you for your time to review, we appreciate your efforts to share your thoughts with other travellers. We have put a huge amount of time and energy into our guest services also updating our rooms.
Our updating program has taken some time to lift off but is now well underway. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you again.
Regards