“Beautifully done!”

175 Metropolitan Executive Motel on Riccarton
North Island, New Zealand
“Beautifully done!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Arrived in the pouring rain (Cyclone Luisi supposedly heading our way!) and were greeted by a lovely young lady at reception. She explained that she was looking after the motel for the owner, and was just so helpful and pleasant to deal with. Rooms are beautifully finished and have everything that you could possibly want or need. We ended up staying two nights instead of the originally planned one, and we definitely stay there again. Love the red decor touches in the rooms - just stunning and reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed here one night after arriving in Christchurch from the Airport. The place was reasonably close to the airport and easy to find. We were pleasantly surprised with the room as we hadn't expected much, but we found it was spacious, clean, well equipped and just pleasant to stay in.

The motel was within walking distance of some pubs and a shopping centre. We had dinner at the Fox & Ferret, Riccarton and the food was great - would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice pub meal nearby.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BethHutch
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the interior of our room which was a two bedroom suite. It was exceptionally clean, large enough to accommodate the four of us, had a small kitchenette and living room, and was modern in its décor. Check in was quick and efficient and the staff was very helpful in giving us advice about sites to see in the downtown area and things to do. The location was on a main road so it was easy to find and close enough to the airport for us to easily make an early morning flight. It was an excellent value for the price, if I ever return to Christchurch I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DesiGulliver
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for one night upon arrival in Christchurch. The King room was ready, impeccably clean and modern, and exceeded expectations. The small kitchen was well equipped, although we didn't use anything other than to make morning coffee. We will be returning for another night in a week after touring the South Island.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allen L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

A very modern motel a few minutes walk from The Riccarton Mall and close to plenty of restaurants. Ten minutes walk to Riccarton Bush and 30 to Hagley Park
A good little kitchenette with modern equipment. The bed, furniture and decor are all very pleasant. There are tables and seats both outside front and back of the room. The motel was very quiet (we were in room 5 at the back). The owner was very friendly and we able to get an extension until 11am while I picked up my hire car. And to our relief the motel room door was open as arranged at 1am on our arrival from the airport.
My only gripe was the laundry room which was only available 2 until 8.30. I like to do laundry when I first wake up or late at night. Still you can't win them all. It is a pricey motel but I had a third off the price because of loyalty points through a supermarket chAin. Would It have been worth it to stay without the discount. Not sure?

• Stayed February 2014
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We decided to hunt for a motel which offered free WiFi as we wanted to use it for planning our trip, so we chose this motel on the understanding from the manager that it was all up and working.
We soon found out that our internet connection did not work at all and so were unable to access it at all during our stay. I just presumed the was a problem with the internet provider as opposed to the actual motel.
When I spoke to the manager in the morning I advised him of the lack of wifi to which he informed me that he had disconnected it in our room the day before, even though we had specifically asked for it!
We felt very deceived and angry, as when you specify somthing and are promised it, you don't expect it to not materialise.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Holly B
175Metropolitan, Manager at 175 Metropolitan Executive Motel on Riccarton, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear HollyB,
Thank you for your review, very unfortunate circumstances that assisted with this mishap! It was never our intention to deceive you or any quests purely a simple forgetful moment which happened on a very busy day. Let me explain… prior to your arrival I had organised to have the wireless internet placed on hold as the guest arriving after your departure was staying for a lengthy stay (6 weeks) and wanted to use their own equipment and internet service provider. Upon your arrival I didn’t give it a second thought that the line would be disconnected a day earlier than anticipated until your advice on the morning of departure. I too was puzzled and disappointed as this is the very first instance that we have had any issues with our Complimentary Internet as all our guests rave about the ease of use and speed! After talking with you upon departure I went to get a complimentary bottle of wine for the inconvenience only to just miss you! If I had know/remembered sooner I would have had this issue corrected within minutes.
Regards
Mike
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

A nice motel, operated by a couple. The lady is welcoming, very willing to help, and has a lovely NZ accent. I arrived very late, because my flight had been delayed. Consequently, the motel office was closed, but they had left my room unlocked with instructions on its location. Windows are a little thin, so I could hear the cars in the road in the morning. Nothing serious - I slept very well.

I will certainly return for my next trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business