“CLICEY”

Cuisines: Cafe, Gastropub, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went here several times to watch the RUGBY (either Crusaders or All Blacks) but it was either too noisy, too many people NOT interested in the rugby or the TV was off. Even once the place was closed for a Private Function. The prices were a little steep too, then, so I have NOT gone back
Having got that off my chest, friends from OAMARU ALWAYS come here and have a meal, which looked good and they sware by it.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I lunch here regularly with family and #4 is also my "go to place" for lunch when entertaining business associates from out of town. I find the food and service is consistent but feel the meals have taken a further step up the last few times I have dined here. Today lunch was superb, the smokey venison salad with blue cheese, pear and walnut salad was one of the best I have ever had.
The environment is great with good outdoor area making for casual dining.
Strongly recommend this place for relaxed dining and fantastic food/service

1  Thank GrantLarissa
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was my second visit; I decided to give it a second chance. Unfortunately, I had the Same experience as during my first visit - tough steak with gristly bits. I ordered a ribeye steak. medium/rare both times. The steak I was served did not look like a traditional ribeye; it did it have the eye of fat in it. It was also not as tender as I would have expected a ribeye to be. I questioned the staff about the cut both times I visited, and they assured me it was a ribeye, going as far as telling me the name of the reputable butcher where the meat was purchased.
I decided to do a spot of further research on the meat, so later in the week visited the said butcher to buy my own piece of their ribeye steak. Low and behold, it too did not have the eye of fat, had gristly bits and was not too tender. I now know where NOT to go for ribeye steak in future!

Shaun H, Manager at No.4, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback, good or bad as it helps us to ensure that our standards are either being met or not.

It is very concerning that this has happened to you - twice now. We do use a very reputable butcher and will be discussing this issue with him. Knowing him very well, he will be mortified that he is supplying us with an inferior product. The ribeye is our customers steak of choice and has never been questioned over whether it is a ribeye or not. On your occasion something has gone wrong and we are looking into this.

We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused; it is never our intention to have our customers feel they are getting a inferior product and leaving having a bad experience.

Regards
Management

Reviewed 4 June 2014

After a hellishly late flight out of Brisbane, we landed in freezing, wintery, raining, blowing Christchurch. It was so cold and miserable we needed somewhere to thaw out and to find something good and healthy to eat. We found ourselves here. We had missed the breakfast time, but the chef made us the most gorgeous chicken Caesar salad - just yum! The service was impeccable - a lovely smiling, friendly and welcoming lady, the restaurant so warm - we were able to fight off starvation and hypothermia! Thanks for saving our lives - we LOVE you No. 4 :-)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Ate here last Sunday with family and a visitor from overseas. The restaurant is well set out and you can easily have a conversation at your own table and not hear your neighbours.
Staff were attentive. My daughters meal was ready first but it got cold waiting for the others to be ready. The waiter quickly took the plate away and reheated it with profuse apologies and it was very tasty. My meal was a little salty but I didn't realise it until I ate the last mouthful of my friends dinner who had the same as me, it was not salty. Whether they salted mine twice by mistake, I'm not sure. My husband and daughters boyfriend loved their meals. The Afigato was yum as was the chocolate dessert.
Just as we were paying the bill my daughter and I noticed a waiter put his hand in the marshmallow jar and eat a couple of them. Pity, tongs were right there. Guess he just forgot where he was.