“Ask hosts for their recommendation. They will try really hard to please you”

CentrePoint on Colombo Motel
Ranked #6 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Our 2 bedroom apartment was lovely and spacious so that we could all relax in a comfy chair as we got home from being tourists. having teenagers it was so nice to have 2 bathrooms ( including spa bath) as part of the package in fact it was almost like having a parents retreat because we could make our own tea and coffee, watch tv and use the shower etc without leaving our room. My kids have told me the WIFI was fast and good and partner appreciated no smoking on the premises at all.It is an easy walk into town and we were appreciative of the driving directions that we received from the hosts as there are a lot of road works happening. The hosts were very helpful and upon our return to Australia they contacted us to alert us that we had left some items behind and would we like them to be returned? .It was a bit hard to do much cooking because the kitchen facilities are mainly microwave, toaster etc but then as chief cook I was on holiday too so enjoyed the restaurant meals and take aways.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Centrepoint1, Owner at CentrePoint on Colombo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Hello julee037 and thanks for taking the time to review us. The 2 bedroom 2 bathroom CentrePoint Suite is ideally suited to mature families and one reason they like it is the degree of separation you can get! Great to see there was something else in the room or motel that was impressionable for each of the family too! Great to see you liked our style of hospitality which does include making every effort to get left behind items back to where they should be! You are right about the kitchenette, just a microwave there but with over 20 restaurants within 1k of the motel there are plenty of options! Thanks for visiting!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The centre is an easy walk and the free parking is very handy. The room (with leather recliners) was spacious and very clean and comfortable. The $5 per day for wifi was a good choice and could be used on 2 devices. Jeff at reception was very friendly and helpful. Christchurch is a great city and is a must see for anyone visiting the South Island.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamesCharles
Centrepoint1, Owner at CentrePoint on Colombo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Hello JamesCharles and thanks for reviewing us after your 2 night stay at the end of your NZ holiday. Great to see you liked our rooms, wifi service and our style of service which,yes, we try to keep friendly and helpful. Yes, Christchurch is a must see city, especially as it recovers from the quakes it is an amazing option that must be a part of your South island holiday! Come see the city again in 5-10 years to see how the rebuild is progressing!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here on the last 2 nights of our travels on the South Island and I would really recommend staying at Centrepoint on Colombo. The welcome we received after a long drive from Mt Cook was very friendly and informative. We were given information and maps on the whole city and told the best places for us to go and visit as well as eat. I really must thank both the hosts for the hard work in obtaining this information as it was so useful in Christchurch, a city that will be continuously changing over the next few years.
The location of the motel is about a ten minute walk from the city centre and not far from some great pop up bars for your evening entertainment. The room we had was very clean and well presented. A lovely touch is the different bins for standard rubbish and recycling, something I rarely see in hotels. The only downside was that our room was slightly dark as it does not receive a lot of natural light because of its ground floor location and being under a balcony. Do not let this put you off though! Finally the only other thing I would have a little whinge about is that you do not receive free wifi. The motel next door does offer this facility and it would make Centrepoint the perfect accommodation if this was offered.
Overall, this place is a fabulous and welcoming place to stay in Christchurch and it certainly deserves it's high position on tripadvisor.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Centrepoint1, Owner at CentrePoint on Colombo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Hello cstone12 and thanks for the review in which you ended up saying we deserve our high position on tripadvisor, thanks! We agree.
Great to see you loved our style of hospitality and all the little things we do to make sure everyone has a great stay with us and in Christchurch and thanks for recognising them.
I won't whinge back at you but would kindly ask that if you are to whinge about the not free wifi, please don't compare us to other motels without considering and showing the whole picture, or at least indicating that yours is not an fully informed decision. We are proudly independant in terms of the service we offer and the prices we charge and will curl up and roll away the day we "be like the motel next door." While the grass on the other side of the fence may look greener to you, that doesn't always mean that it is so and its dissappointing that you have only seen one part of a much wider story.
To answer your whinge, "the motel next door" generally speaking charges more for their rooms and offers free wifi whether guests use it or not. Generally speaking we have lower rooms rates and only charge $5 per day for unlimited access for up to 2 devices..... but only for those who wish to use this service. There are many people who do not need to have an internet connection and we recognise this.
And as an aside, there are many other things that make us most different from "the motel next door." And we are proud of that as they are no doubt proud of how they run their motel!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

NZ's standard of motels far differs from that of the States. This place was classy, had all required amenities and was close to the city center. The main drawback is that the area is fairly dark at night (not that NZ is an epicenter of crime). I knocked off a star because I had called the day before asking if he could give us directions to where Rohan was filmed (since I wasn't able to do the tour) and he said he absolutely could, but then the next day when I went into the office to get the directions, he was no longer sure and we ended up both googling it.

**Note: take the tour if you can, but if you do go, make sure you rent an SUV, not a Toyota Yaris like we did, as we discovered the road there is super rocky and we didn't end up making it to the end of the path. I believe there's a little information center/restaurant/hotel close to the filming location, but like I said we didn't make it for fear the car would break with zero cellular signal.

We asked for the two twin beds; they were one of the most comfortable beds of all the places I stayed at, room is cozy, but enough space for all our luggage. And parking is free. Best of all, the owners and the rental car company, Apex, let us leave our car there when we were done, we didn't even have to take it back to the car lot! Apparently this is common, but it definitely saved us a trip. If you're getting to the airport, there's also a free shuttle you can reserve, just need to call a day in advance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cegar
Centrepoint1, Owner at CentrePoint on Colombo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Hi there cegar and thanks for the review but not for the star you knocked off! I spent considerable time making sure you could get where you wanted. Sure I used google (please note the "I" in there) but don't mark me down for that - that is just plain unfair! I use google for lots of things to make sure our guests get what they want!! Just remember that if I did not help you you would not have gotten even close to where you wanted to go with your zich local knowledge.
There are not many things that irk me, but taking that star off me for that really does. The other thing that irks is people using my page to review other things like your day out.
Other than that, great to see you really enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is a very good Christchurch accomodation. The room is very clean, well appointed. I was most impressed with the owners, who clearly care a lot about Christchurch. When I checked in, I got a map and Naomi pointed out key things to check out around town, and she also gave a very handy list of nearby restaurants and other services. I like how they collect organic waste and recycling, and she asked if I wanted whole or skim milk for my tea/coffee. Finally, when I left something behind in the room, Naomi/co-owner, offered to mail it to me. That kind of customer service attention is not often found.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cw_hamp

Hello cw_hamp and thanks for the review. Yes, we do know a lot about Christchurch and what we do not know about, we use the power of google to make sure guests really get what they are looking for! Yes, we do try to get left behind items back to guests and if possible we do proactively contact the guest first. Great to see you loved our style of hospitality!

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I was a bit hesitant staying at a motel - this I think is my 1st time at a motel and it seems the only difference between a motel and a hotel is that you have individual units as opposed to a hotel room. The location is very good in this beautiful yet devastated city. The friendly host/owner (Naomi) was most helpful with info and booked all transfers for us. Everything was clean and functional. Most importantly I have no complaints

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Centrepoint1, Manager at CentrePoint on Colombo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Hello Rikkimca and thanks for staying despite some initial hesitation - maybe NZ motels need to change their status as we are very different from the image and reality of some motel styles in some areas of the world. Great to see you have no complaints - great to see Naomi looked after you while I (Jeff) was away at the Scout Jamboree. Great to see you are now comfortable with the NZ style of motel!!

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

For the rate we paid,we feel it was value for money as the unit is well maintained.kitchen was also well equipped and apartment was spacious and cosy.

Standard of cleanliness was so high that even the cutlery were arranged so neatly and glitters in the light. Wow.my husband couldn help exclaiming this word when checking out the whole apartment. Hosts were hospitable and informative too.

Will stay there again if i ever return to christ church.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the review Agnes99. Its great to see you found our motel to be value for money! We operate in a competitve market and so its good to get comments like this. Also great to see you liked our standard of cleanliness and style of hospitality. Great to see you'd be comfortable staying with us again!