“Great value for money - very central”

Dorset House Backpackers
Singapore
“Great value for money - very central”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I read positive reviews about the Backpacker but they have been fully booked. As the 1 BR apartment was still available and the price was the same or slightly higher than the Backpacker it was an easy choice and we did not regret it. Having our own apartment for the last night after a 3 weeks trip through NZ was definately great. We were lucky staying at the ground floor. The apartment had everything what is needed. Spacious bedroom, decent size living room, kitchen and bathroom. All in old style but this is what I liked about it when I booked it. Reminded me of my grandmothers place - nostalgia ;-). The only point which was a disappointment was the parking provided. With todays cars you dont fit into these garages at all but we had a nice neighbour who recommended to park on the street where there is plenty of free parking available! It is walking distance to the city center (we stayed at Peterborough street) and it was nice and quiet. There is no reception - so make sure that you have your PIN with you that was provided in the confirmation email. Can really recommend that place!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I stayed in Double room for 2 nights in November 2010 ... It was really great hotel
Clean and comfortable.. shared bathroom and toilet always available
wi fi internet was good .... nice living room and pool table
Great management !

PS. Thanks for FREE FOOD in the kitchen,,, save my life lol.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My daughter and I stayed in a twin room. It was very clean and spacious with a bathroom next door. The kitchen was well equipped and there we met lots of nice people from all over the world. We had a hire car and was able to park in the parking area without any trouble. The lounge was well equipped, just wished we had spent more time there and played 'Scrabble' (many games and books are supplied). Overall, the place was extremely quiet and nicely located close to Bagley Park and 15 minute walk to the Arts precinct. Would definately stay there again. Very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Leasm11
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I have been staying at Dorset with my wife and it was my first motel/hotel in NZ. Everything is very well organized and You get the looong tradition and family like feeling being there. Very sweet place. Entering the premises after working hours was easy. Rooms and facilities were very clean. Internet is available for free (first 30 minutes, but to check the email it is enough), or downstairs there is a free WWW station. Perfect location almost in the center of beautiful Christchurch.
Go there and you won't regret.

Borys and Aleksandra

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Borys_ZG
Perth WA
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I chose this accommodation because I hadnt book quickly enough to secure a couple of nights at the backpacker side of their business, but since the rates were so good I decided to enjoy my own space, own kitchen, own tv etc. This is an older style accommodation that has been modernised partly, in the rooms that count, ie kitchen and bathroom, and all decor in general. I found the area quiet, it was close to town ie about a 7 minute walk, in fact closer than i realised at the time because the free shuttle stops at two points very close by and if you stay on the shuttle it will take you to the central shopping district firstly and then if you remain on it, you will get to the supermarkets of your choice, all very very handy! I really enjoyed my stay here, it was very spacious, i had the 2 bedroom apartment, i believe they have 1 bed as well but I just took was available at the time. If there were any teeny tiny little niggles it is that tv reception wasnt that great and the hike up the outside staircase with my heavy bag was a job and a half! But these are minor, all in all i think this is fantastic value for money accommodation and I would definitely recommend it. Oh just to note, there is no reception at the complex (4 units), that is situated at their backpacker accommodation which is about a 7 min walk away.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Baltimore
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I loved my stay at the Dorset House. I was a very late arrival, but my after-hours entry proceeded smoothly and kept the house secure. I stayed in a shared room and it wasn't fully occupied. My roommates were kind, considerate and quiet. It seemed many like-minded travelers were staying here, and into have a good vacation, but not necessarily staying up all hours making noise, as one might find in a typical hostel. The place was well appointed and clean, the beds were comfy and even though I forgot to bring shower shoes I was able to use the clean bathroom without worry (and didn't even get athlete's foot.) The staff was friendly and ready to help; I rented a towel/bathrobe combo for a few bucks, I borrowed an alarm clock, they even booked my train transfer for me. I would happily stay at the Dorset House again anytime. It was simply a fantastic value and provided what I needed at the beginning of my trip across New Zealand's South Island.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We booked two stays at the Dorest House ~ one at the beginning of our trip to New Zealand and one right before we returned home. Both stays were wonderful. Having the kitchen to prepare meals was great. It was nicely equipped and allowed visiting with fellow travelers from all over the world. Dorset House is well located and was an easy walk or bus ride into the city and beyond. The staff was friendly and helpful and were able to answer all of our questions. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple