“Best hostel ever.”

Dorset House Backpackers
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I loved my stay at the Dorset House. I was a very late arrival, but my after-hours entry proceeded smoothly and kept the house secure. I stayed in a shared room and it wasn't fully occupied. My roommates were kind, considerate and quiet. It seemed many like-minded travelers were staying here, and into have a good vacation, but not necessarily staying up all hours making noise, as one might find in a typical hostel. The place was well appointed and clean, the beds were comfy and even though I forgot to bring shower shoes I was able to use the clean bathroom without worry (and didn't even get athlete's foot.) The staff was friendly and ready to help; I rented a towel/bathrobe combo for a few bucks, I borrowed an alarm clock, they even booked my train transfer for me. I would happily stay at the Dorset House again anytime. It was simply a fantastic value and provided what I needed at the beginning of my trip across New Zealand's South Island.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 October 2010

We booked two stays at the Dorest House ~ one at the beginning of our trip to New Zealand and one right before we returned home. Both stays were wonderful. Having the kitchen to prepare meals was great. It was nicely equipped and allowed visiting with fellow travelers from all over the world. Dorset House is well located and was an easy walk or bus ride into the city and beyond. The staff was friendly and helpful and were able to answer all of our questions. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Dorset House is just plain GREAT. Quiet, clean, comfortable, complete amenities and safe neighborhood. Highly recommended to all will be traveler to Christchurch.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2010

This backpackers out of all the ones we stayed in was the most like a home. The facilities were great, kitchen was clean and the rooms were tidy. The staff were very friendly. I would recommend this place without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gemofthema
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I was a solo female over 50 and I stayed here three nights. One night on my way to Franz Joseph and a week later two nights. The first time I arrived late and everything worked as planned. I had a code to access the locked front door. The key was available as planned and my room was very nice. One special thing to say about this place is that you can get the heat you need. There is an electric radiator heater plus an electric heater under the bottom sheet. I booked a single room. The rooms are small and only have a bed, night stand and lamp, TV mounted on the wall and hooks on the back of the door for clothes. The kitchen was clean and cheerful. I was able to leave a bag there the first time I was there to pick up when I returned. The house is about a 10 minute walk to town. A little farther from town then some places, but then also in a quiet neighborhood. Internet was available and computers for use. Another great thing was that the front desk was very helpful directing me to activities of interest and they made the phone calls to make reservations for tours and for shuttle pickup to the airport. Mostly 18-25 year old backpackers so if you are older you are in a group by yourself. The cost of a taxi from Cathedral Square to Dorset House was $8NZ.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank caribseabreeze
Reviewed 3 July 2010

The rooms and bathrooms were cleaned daily by a friendly group of cleaners. The rooms were spacious and the communal area had tv with a library of dvds and a free pool table and a vending machine. The only downside was the unreliable internet access. Really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We love the heated mattress and it was a comfort to know that they have it here at dorset house. Except that their heater is not too strong, however during non-winter times should not be an issue ;) The staff is really friendly and they have cool lounge and kitchen! It was so cosy that even during winter times, it simply warmed our hearts. :)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple