“Welcoming and convenient”

AAA Northlands Motel
Ranked #133 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We only booked for one night as we had to fly out of Christchurch in the morning. We wanted to visit Hanmer Springs but didn't want to lug all our bags there and back,so we called in to see if we could leave them all day at the Motel. The proprietor was most helpful and let us check in early so we were able to dump the bags.
Really good size room good shower and even a carton of fresh milk was supplied.
Very convenient to the airport and situated on the main road out of Christhurch. The only thing to watch is that you don't overshoot as it faces a dual carriageway and its not easy to do a U turn. Not a bad price ,booked on line and it was only $109 which about £54 which judging by the size of the room its well eqiped kitchenette clean bed good shower was well worth it. Ps if you walk back up the road to find somewhere to eat avoid the Chinese takeway, they gave us burnt rice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Me and my partner picked this place for a night as we were looking for someone affordable and close too the city.

Brian the host was excellent and friendly.

The room was on the bottom floor and was spacious, enough room in the kitchenette to cook if we felt like it, bed was spacious.

The TV's are modern (our on was perhaps a little to far away from the bed)

The room offered no couch, but we were not terribly fussed as we arrived late.

There were bunks in the room as well,

The bathroom was clean, but perhaps a little out dated in terms of decour, the shower curtain could of been replaced as it was a little tattered, and the halogen light created a buzzing noise, a bit of high cleaning could be good for the bathroom to wipe away the residue.

Overall, a good find and wouldn 't have any complaints staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We have stayed here a couple of nights, at the start and end of a campervan trip. Easy to find and get to, rooms are clean and well appointed. The service is good. We have our bags stored outside while we dropped our van off - it started to look like it would rain, Brian (owner) brought our bags inside for us.....little thing, but to me, this is good sevice. No hesitation in recommending them. Perhaps most important thing.....the price is right.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AussieStrommer
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I booked 2 nights' accommodation for my 65 year old parents for this motel. On the night of their arrival their plane was delayed. I received a phone call from the hotel at 12am their time to let me know they had not arrived. I told the gentleman on the phone that I would investigate where they were as they should have arrived by that time and I was concerned they hadn't. I said I would call him back and he gave me the number to the hotel.

I tried to get in touch with my parents and check on their flight. I called the hotel 20 minutes later and did not get an answer. I tried to call the hotel for an hour after that, still with no answer.

I finally heard from my parents once they had gotten off the plane and confirmed the delay. I still continued to call the hotel with no answer. My parents got a rental car and drove to the hotel. Upon arrival they rang the bell and no one was in the office. They stayed and tried to call and ring the bell with no answer for half an hour. They then drove and parked in a store parking lot and slept there for the night! My parents are 65 and this is not acceptable to me.

Today I received a call from the hotel regarding my second booking on the 17th. I said that we could keep that booking and was informed of the cancellation fee for last night. I then told him we didn't cancel and my parents did go to the hotel so did we have to pay the cancellation fee? The answer was yes.....he was upset about staying late which I totally understand. However.....he took the time to call me and ask about the arrival and I confirmed they were going to be there, he then left within 20 minutes of that call. At no time did I cancel....he left the hotel with no way of reaching him or leaving the key for them to pick up. We argued for 10 minutes about the events of the evening and I still maintain that we did not cancel our booking and that they went to the hotel and he wasn't there. I asked to speak to the manager and was told he was the manager. He then cancelled the next booking and hung up on me, just like that he decided this issue was over.

I do not recommend this hotel and how they treated their guests. Not only did they leave my parents stranded but the way he handled the issue the next day on the phone, he was rude, unapologetic and has now charged me a fee.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had a lovely stay here. The room was clean and tidy and perfect for our stay in Christchurch, The towels and linen were changed daily and the unit was spotless. I can't fault it at all and was great value. I can highly recommend this to other travellers. Thanks Brian and Grace.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed here for 1 night after our flight arrived at Christchurch just after midnight. Room was quite roomy with a queen and single beds both with heated blankets, a kitchenette, a small table with 3 chairs, a TV and heaters both in the room and bathroom. Fantastic for the price we paid.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2010

+ very nice and helpful staff, fast free internet, bbq, clean and comfy room,
- far from city centre.