“Good value and friendly host”
Review of Arcadia Motel

Arcadia Motel
Ranked #82 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good value and friendly host”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Friendly host who gave us some much needed local advice. We had a large studio room which was just right for us. Good value for money. It was very clean and the beds were great. I recommend it for people staying in the East of Christchurch.

Room Tip: Large studio rooms are great if you have lots of gear or just want the extra space. They also have...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 8Hazel8
Hi 8Hazel8..

Thanks for your review...we look forward to seeing you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 January 2014

After a long trip from Dunedin to Christchurch whereupon I found my accommodation double booked, I ended up coming across Arcadia motel who were accommodating, lovely and excellent to deal with.
The unit is a two bedroom unit wch they discounted, it is immaculately clean and with minimal noise from the main road.
I will undoubtedly be reccomending this motel to colleagues as I travel constantly for my job, so finding a comfortable motel is a must as they're home away from home:)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hi KellinamariaD.

Thank you for your review......pleased you enjoyed it and we look forward to seeing you again.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I am a concessive traveling reviewer and I am usually trying to accept common sense issues in accommodation. But after our experience at Arcadia Motel in Christchurch I understand it cannot be anything worst. If would not say anything about the abrupt and helpless receptionist, probably the owner/manager, I have to say that we had for one night no hot water at all, the milk was just from this year and the cleanness was for like a backpacker.
But I have to mention the worst. Actually I had to cancel our second night because of smell. Chemical smell I mean, but not from cleaning. Probably from bad bugs treatment, I can’t be sure.
Personally, I have nothing against the Motels as an accommodation option but the Arcadia Motel is not an option whatsoever.
I am usually travelling between Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch but I will avoid like hell the Arcadia Motel in Christchurch.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank laura_mc_13
Arcadia100, Manager at Arcadia Motel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thanks for your review laura_mc_13.

We haven't had any guests staying for 2 nights but leaving after 1....maybe you could contact us to clarify and we can investigate?

If you had no hot water wouldn't it be a good idea to tell someone about it so that it can be rectified??

What are bad bugs?? What is a concessive traveling reviewer ??
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Regrettably stayed here earlier this week. As a sales rep, many nights are spent in motels and have never experienced the rude, unhelpful 'service', worst shower ever and USED soap in there - obviously NOT cleaned!
Upon arrival and booking was told (and not politely) that they would not accept a credit card number, needed a card.....okay, sorted. Was informed they are new and have just set up eftpos and NO motels now days accept just card number - RUBBISH!! I travel throughout South Is and do this on a regular basis!
Was questioned about my work and how long they had been around and what they did.
Asked if we wanted milk, yes please green, reply blue only.
Taken to room, adequate at best.
Shower - wait (not joking) TEN minutes for it to warm up and then actually would have had more pressure under a sprinkler - then EW - USED SOAP IN THE SHOWER TRAY!!!!!
Bed, freshly made would be questionable.....and mattress has had better days - springs felt.
Woken in the morning to some kind of compression pump going in the workplace directly behind the place.

Next night paid same price, with credit card number only, and had helpful friendly service and a clean comfortable room, green milk and a fantastic shower - from a lemon to a gateaux in the space of a few km's

Good luck with your venture, I am positive you are going to need it

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank CheleNFish
Arcadia100, Manager at Arcadia Motel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thanks for your review CheleNFish.

It is most helpful. Your wishes of good luck have been a good omen as we are doing very well. Sorry for your experience, but if you had raised it at the time we could have done something. The guests in the room since you have found the shower very pleasant and good pressure. In regards to your other points we can now accept card transactions without the card present.....and we can supply our guests with whatever milk they require.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My brother, his son, my sister and I were visiting family as well as attending a family wedding. Our brother-in-law, Keith booked us in this wonderful motel where the owners Mike and Sue Brown were really welcoming and clearly genuinely friendly. The room was cleaned and stocked with essentials for a good stay. My main criteria for a good stay is a clean bathroom - and I was not disappointed. In fact I was pleasantly surprised that the room was cleaned daily and each of us were given new towels. I was not expecting this in a motel. Another detail which the owners thought about, was stocking the kitchen with kitchen towels and dishwashing liquid. These little things, show that Sue and Mike obviously care for their clients well-being, comfort and pleasant stay. The beds were comfortable and we all had a good night sleep.

I would recommend this place to anyone who visits Christchurch and would like to experience a homey atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I had booked for two to stay at Arcadia Motel and they had found their stay to be very comfortable. The rooms were fantastic and accomodated them very nicely. Very friendly owner and made sure they were well looked after. Great communication prior to booking and assisted in every way he could. Highly recommended. The boys thoroughly enjoyed their stay. Thank you

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Hoorn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed at the Arcadia Motel the night before we picked up our campervan, no regrets at all. We had a very warm welcome from the owner, Mike. He really wanted us to have a nice stay and inform us about all the attractions that might be interesting for the next coming days. Although he found that he had not much time for us, we really liked his attention and jokes.

The room was spacious and clean and the beds were just perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple