“Newly Refurbished Rendezvous Hotel - Christchurch”

Ranked #12 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We managed to get our room at the opening special price of $169 per night, including full buffet breakfast. The room was smallish but obviously everything was new. Walls were a bit thin, we could hear people in the next room, and in the corridors. Luckily it was a quiet weekend. Although the location is central city, there is really nothing there any more. Staff were very good, friendly and attentive. Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMarqueCHC, Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide a feedback on Tripadvisor.
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed breakfast and our service.
If you would like to stay in a larger room next time we have Deluxe Rooms available for extra $20 per night.

Management

Write a ReviewReviews (2,021)

Reviewed 19 June 2013

When I booked and saw that it was new, I was a bit apprehensive. But considering Christchurch is still in the reconstruction phase, and it is located in the city centre, this hotel is great value for money. Good luck to the people of Christchurch, see you again soon.
Ate in & the meal was very nice.
Overall good location.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, but all well appointed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
TheMarqueCHC, Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Reviewed 17 June 2013

It's confronting to stay in a hotel when it's in a building that's the tallest building still standing in Christchurch - especially when you look out your hotel window to nothing! It seems almost every building surrounding it has been levelled - however it's only a 5 minute walk to many things since you are in the centre of the city at this hotel.

It's new (well newly refurbed) and they've done a great job. The room I was in (12th floor) wasn't large but well laid out and had nice modern furnishings. The bed was very comfortable and there was a good sized desk and desk light, tea and coffee making facilities, ironing/ironing board, wardrobe, bathrobe - everything you need in a room when you're on business. The bathroom wasn't big either however it did have a nice long bench to put your toiletries, a great hairdryer and a huge tiled shower. It's so nice to have a big shower (that 2 could easily use) rather than a shower over a bath. Well done on the bathroom - having a large shower like this is enough to make me want to come back and use this as a regular business hotel in Christchurch.

The staff are friendly and very eager to help - and there's a nice seating area and bar in the hotel lobby. I didn't try the restaurant -- not many people in them but this hotel has only recently opened so perhaps the hotel isn't at full capacity as yet.

I was concerned about the internet as it seemed it was a pay system - and it is if you want high speed internet - it's about $30 a day. But they do offer a lower speed cable-connected internet for free - so if you're not downloading movies and basically using the internet for email etc, there isn't a charge. There is free wifi in the lobby area too.

All in all I think this hotel has got it right! I think it's the perfect business hotel and would definitely stay again.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome team!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated and has been shared with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed as a mixture of business and pleasure. It has only been open a month. It is in the centre of CBD so be prepared for how confronting this is. It is good to walk to New Regent Street and see the Spanish Mission style buildings and shops that are opening ( just opposite the hotel) and walk to Cashel Street. Ballantynes only 5 minutes walk and I think the best department store in NZ. The service at the hotel was very good. Valet parking very efficient, reception staff helpful. Nice meal in the restaurant. Only thing letting it down is no wifi in guest rooms only foyer and business centre. Free Internet in rooms is Ethernet cable - not useful for iPad or iPhone.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
About the Wifi not available in the guest rooms, we understand a lot of people are using iPad, iPhone and other Tablet devices so we are considering getting Wifi in guest rooms.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I recently stayed at the newly opened Rendezvous hotel in Christchurch. The hotel was clean and had a nice new feel to it. The room I stayed in was quite small and didn't have a bath but was over all it was good and the bed was comfy.
I had dinner in the restaurant which was nice to be able to do considering there is not a lot of places to eat near by. The pork belly was fantastic and the chocolate fritters were a stunning way to finish the meal (the menu does no do this desert justice).

The only downside was there was a slight lip from the bathroom floor to the bedroom which was about 1 cm high and really hurt if stood on it or scuffed your toe as you walked out of the bathroom. I did mention this to the women in reception but she no one else had ever mentioned it and she would pass the message on.

Overall great hotel. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide a feedback on Tripadvisor.
We are very pleased you had a good stay with us and enjoyed your dinner at Straits Café.
The slight lip from the bathroom floor to the bedroom you mentioned, it’s been designed to be there to prevent a flooding from the bath room. Because you reported to reception staff upon your departure, our front office manager was notified and himself and our engineering manger has been to the room you stayed in to check if it was higher than normal.
We really appreciate you told our reception staff about it so we were able to follow it up straight away.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Very important to note that this review is post-2011 earthquake reopening. There is literally nothing directly around (1/2 a kilometer or more) it at the time that is a standing/operational structure. Literally, this place is right in the middle of what they refer to as "the red zone."

Very sad to see the beauty of the town of Christchurch before the earthquakes and now...Christchurch is pretty much a ghost town compared to what it was before.

However, I must say, and I'm a picky, picky guest...The experience here blew myself and my fiancé away! Very new (reopened 5/1/13) so I expected it to be clean, fresh and nicer than an older establishment. This was generally the case although there is still some obvious signs of construction which I also expected.

When we first got to our room, I immediately noticed it was quite small. However, I did book through a discount site and got the lowest level king bed room, so I wasn't about to complain. The room was very clean, nice and had all the amenities...except for wifi. I had my computer and a the ethernet connection was solid, so we managed on that end.

Everything else from the OUTSTANDING service to the OUTSTANDING meals in their hotel restaurant were beyond reproach. In fact, I'm quite certain I had the best ribeye filet I've ever had in my life. Not sure if it was local beef (didn't mention any special name on the menu) or what, but it was super tender and extremely tasty. In fact, everything we had at the hotel restaurant exceeded our expectations.

All in all, amazing experience for the price and condition of the rest of the city. Truly a gem in a very damaged, but recovering city.

I miss NZ already!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
TheMarqueCHC, Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back near future.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Good to be back in the Rendezvous having stayed there a few years back.
Can't comment on the food, bar or cafe areas as we ate out the one night we stayed (First weekend they had reopened post-quake I think).
Staff seemed helpful considering all they will have been through. Stayed in Deluxe room which is smaller than previous unit we booked before so hard to compare visits.
This part of town is obviously going to be fairly quiet reagrdign restaurant options etc for some time to come.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMarqueCHC, Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am sorry you had a smaller room this time, some of our Deluxe rooms have a different layouts.
We hope you can stay with us again near future and try our restaurant next time.
We look forward to welcoming you back.