Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch
BreakFree on Cashel(Christchurch)
Ibis Christchurch(Christchurch)
  • Free Internet
2,195 results
All reviewsregent streetcentral locationtram stationnice hotelroom servicecathedral squarerooms are smallpleasant staywithin walking distanceenjoyed my staynice roomnew zealandshort staywould stay againsouth islandcityearthquake
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A modern and comfortable hotel. rooms are clean and well laid out.
Restaurant is good and open throughout the day.
Staff are very helpful and able to assist in arranging trips and local knowledge. would stop there again

Room Tip: all rooms look good
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
RendezvousCHC, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the excellent feedback! I am glad you found the hotel clean and comfortable and that the staff were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Located 7 minutes walking distance from the restart mall or 5 minutes from the destroyed old church. This town is still recovering from the earthquake 3 years ago. You still get to see some half destroyed/damaged building and some restructuring, and some with empty buildings. Don't expect there are lots to do in this town.
Check in was done hassle free need not to register passport just fill out the registration card and give them your credit card to secure the deposit. Was not asked whether I would like to have a smoking/non smoking room, or twin/king bed... Anyway I was given a non smoking one bed room as wished. The manager said my room number out loud, which should never happen in a hotel because of privacy reason, luckily there weren't anyone around that time.
There were only 2 lifts and they were slow.
There's free wi-FI in the lobby for 24 hours and cable internet is provided for free in all hotel rooms. The room size is pretty small however what impressed me was the set of bathroom amenity-French connection. It was weird however as I was given 2 sets of shampoo and no bath gel!
Now here comes the nightmare.
It was very windy at night and I was woken up by all these ceiling+wall cracking noise in the middle of the night at around 2.30. Called up the reception one hour later since I could hardly sleep and he said there's nothing that he can do and it's normal. No it's not normal in a proper hotel. The noise sounded like the floor above me will collapse anytime! I slept for only 2.5 hrs and was up watching tv the whole night until check out the next day. No wonder why the rate was this competitive...

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. Christchurch is in the midst of the rebuild and while most buildings are now down, there are new business and restaurants / bars opening daily near the hotel. We are a non smoking hotel so we do not offer any smoking rooms. The option of Twin or King bedding is generally made when you make the reservation however I am glad you were able to stay in your requested room type. My sincere apologies you did not sleep well. I do hope the Night Manager offered you a room move to a lower floor when you contacted him.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Well...as far as I was concerned this hotel was the promised land! I stayed here twice exactly a year ago and it was fab - everything just worked! The room was great, I had a Dell laptop and could plug in to the ethernet in my room to get internet and I parked right outside on the street as Christchurch was pretty laid back with that sort of thing!

So naturally I booked and returned on my next trip to Christchurc, but this time, everything was just...off. Street parking was no longer available but the boy on reception (it was either Juan or Jose!) offered me valet parking for $30 a day (are you kidding me!!!) - well okay he said - you can park on the lot over the road for free. Fine - no problem - I did that. They I asked for the wi-fi code. "Oh we don't have wi-fi in the rooms" !!! Are you kidding me? This is clearly a business hotel - no wi-fi in the rooms? I had forgotten it was cable only last time I came here. Now...that was fine when I had a Dell - I could plug into the cable they provide in the room. But alas, this time I was travelling with a MacBook Air and an iphone. So...no in room internet for me! I had to come down to the lobby to use internet - absolutely unheard of in this day and age especially in a business hotel! What really got my goat was when the boy claimed "we are working on the wi-fi"..."Erm....okay but you didn't have it a year ago and it still isn't here 12 months later so how long are you going to be "working on it" for?"

I visited the gym - which was great - if it was supposed to be a museum of old equipment. This is a new hotel - they have clearly bought some very old equipment just to "tick the box" of having a gym on site. Anyway...it was a nice looking museum, so...that's something.

Finally, I remembered I had quite a spacious room the last 2 times I stayed here. Todays room was pretty pokey and nothing to write home about.

It's such a shame - I loved this hotel and was excited to stay here again but it seems that business has picked up a bit and they don't have to be as concerned about attention to detail anymore. Oh by the way, my room key took 5 or 6 attempts to open the door. When I asked Juan (Jose?) for a replacement he tried to lecture me on how to use the card to open the door (because it couldn't possibly be the case that the hotel was displaying signs of wear). Thanks Juan! I've literally never used one of these card keys before!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. My sincere apologies for the issues raised. Some of the information relating to our services should have been more clearly defined upon arriving at the hotel. We do offer two options for car parking, one being secured valet service which is charged and the other option is to park in the nearby unsecured parking lot which is free of charge.
While we do offer complimentary wifi in the lobby area, presently only wired access is avaialble in the rooms. What Juan was reffering to was the hotel is getting full wireless access into all the rooms approximately December this year. I understand you booked a Standard room on this occassion, while you booked the Deluxe room the previous stay. This was noted and we offered you a complimentary upgrade to this room type for the troubles caused. I apologise that you were unhappy on this occasion and do hope that you return one day.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I have had the privilege to receive exceptional customer service from staff Ash and Jarrod during my short stay at Rendezvous Hotel in Christchurch.

They have gone out of the way to assist with my requests and showed outstanding customer service skills.

• Stayed: July 2014
RendezvousCHC, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your feedback. It really is appreciated. I will pass on these comments to Arsh & Jarrod who do work hard every day to exceed our guests expectations.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very comfortable hotel to stay in, in the centre of Christchurch. Welcoming staff, particularly the concierge. Nice restaurant in-house and our rate included free buffet breakfast. Lobby was a pleasant place to sit for the free wifi and watch the comings and goings. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
RendezvousCHC, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback!

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to try the Restaurant and that the staff were welcoming. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.