All reviews washer and dryer basket of goodies thai container city centre road noise comfortable bed convenient location minute walk great place to stay free wifi two nights botanical gardens south island brian motel kitchenette laundry
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed here mid-week for work in one of the accessible single studios on the ground floor.
The room was spacious, very nicely decorated and included a washer and dryer and kitchenette.
The room was cold initially, but a nice panel heater was provided and it gave adequate and controllable heat. Room was pretty spacious and comfortable.
The TV was 42" and for this room, easily viewable from the bed.
The bathroom was spacious and of wet-room style (being an accessible room). I thought the mirror was a bit high for a wheelchair room (I could only just use it, standing up).
WiFi was free and provided through an individual router.
Service was very friendly and prompt, nothing seemed too much trouble.
Carpaking free and never struggled to find a park.
Really liked the bowl of 'snacks' that come included with the room so you don't have to starve if you're just a bit peckish.
Noise - be prepared that this motel is on a busy 8-lane road. I could hear road traffic from my room with all the windows shut.
Also in the room I had (I think it was 6), the pipes from the room upstairs came down the walls by the bed - so when the person upstairs decided to shower at midnight, I got woken up.

Wavered between a 3 & a 4 because of the breakfast and the noise:
'Continental Breakfast' for $14 is hugely overpriced - I got :
- 2 pieces of bread for toast,
- butter
- small box of sanitarium muesli
- nutbar (or you could choose a muffin)
- some sort of diced fruit in a pre-packaged container , which had actually expired 4 weeks earlier (or you could choose fresh fruit - got a small banana and tiny apple).
There are no obvious supermarket / convenience stores / cafes nearly so unless you brought your own food for a couple of breakfasts, you didn't really get a choice. $14 for pre-packaged food is a bit too much!

There are better value motels for your money, that are of equivalent price, quality and better located (as in nearer to eating amenities etc), and include a similar breakfast in the price. And aren't on such a busy road.

Regarding location: You would probably want/need a car in Christchurch anyway to get around. There are no restaurants in a 5 min walk, however there is a highly recommended Thai takeaway one block up, and the motel provides a phone order service (didn't try).
We walked to a couple of restaurants (probably 15 - 25 mins) which were very good (see my other reviews), and the walk was welcome (it's all flat so not an onerous walk).

However, there were roadworks / drainage stuff happening across the road in Colombo Street. This work only seemed to occur during the night, and my colleague and I were both woken at 4am by a very noisy concrete mixer. Not the motel's fault or responsibility and I expect you get it all over Christchurch at the moment, but because this motel is on a very busy road and near to the city centre, you will get more of this than in other areas.

Room tip: Ask for an upstairs room at the rear of the property to minimise noise. Bring your own breakfast or eat elsewhere.
Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed - 1 night

Good - clean, and well kitted out apartment hotel. Very good service from friendly management.

Bad - location could have been better, reasonable walk to the centre. Quite small rooms.

Overall - we were just there for one night and it was fine. Wouldn't want to stay longer.

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Pian
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed here for one night on arrival into New Zealand before heading to Queenstown and found this hotel to be very welcoming with everything we needed. First of all, the owner was very accommodating as we arrived early in the morning after traveling all night and he let us check in early so we could have a well needed sleep before venturing into Christchurch. The next morning he also went out of his way to help us de-ice the car windows. Thank you.
The bed was very comfortable and the spa bath was great. Room was very warm and had a little private balcony. There was also a washing machine and dryer which would have been perfect if we hadn't just started our holiday.
Location was perfect and only a short walk into town. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Christchurch.

Date of stay: June 2013
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We had one night at Terra Vive before heading to the international airport for our flight back to Sydney. This is a great little place to stay for a couple of nights I really can't fault them at all.

My partner and I were greeted warmly and shown to our room personally (can't remember the last time that happened). We mostly booked this accommodation as I really liked the idea of going home with clean clothes after our 2 weeks in New Zealand. We were shown the washing machine and dryer and how to use them and shown where our complimentary washing powder was. Two loads of washing later I was very happy.

Everything was clean and comfortable and I found the room to be quite spacious. I was thankful for the tea and coffee and treats so they were very much appreciated. This is very close distance to the central areas of Christchurch and we would definitely be back again. I thought it was quite good value for money.

The only one thing I could say was that our room was wheelchair friendly so our shower was completely open and had no curtain and water went absolutely everywhere in the bathroom. I didn't mind this too much but felt a bit sorry for the cleaners when we left our extremely damp towels etc on the floor!!! It also meant the bathroom stayed quite cold because there was no 'encased' sort of area keeping the heat in after you have showered.

Room tip: Sorry no fitness centre, clicked by accident and can't remove!
Date of stay: May 2013
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment for over a week. Its adequate and its one of the better ones in christchurch. the bed just ok and the apartment was a little small. There is no storage space so you will end up living out off the suitcase per se. the bathroom was clean and big. Parking was not a problem. I did however had to ask them to change the sheets as i do not think they changed it between guests as i found "dirty fluff" inside the end of the bed. Staff were nice and friendly and kindly put the heating on prior to our arrival which was most welcoming. Didn't hear any noise from the neighbouring rooms which is a plus as most small complex hotels you can hear everything.

Date of stay: May 2013