“Adequate - if you have low expectations ”
Review of KIWI basecamp

KIWI basecamp
Dublin, Ireland
“Adequate - if you have low expectations ”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I had a private room. Only heating was from a small plug in radiator. Bedding was so cheap and generated so much static electricity, I could see it in the dark!
Breakfast is what it is - but it is only instant tea or coffee & a few loaves if bread with jam & butter.
The website claims to have parking / there is none. There is street parking around the corner free from 6pm to 10am only.
Internet is cheap at NZD5 for 24hrs but this is capped at 100mb
The place seems to be home to large groups of young men who leave early and return late - it would seem from some kind of work.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank journeyman29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Saint-Martin-de-Belleville, France
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Nice place to stay when you travel alone, the staff is really friendly!
They can help you for the transfers from & to the airport.
Bedrooms are comfy. Shared bathrooms cleaned daily.
This hostel is good value and breakfast is included (with home made bread!)
The living room and patio are very nice too.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

The website is totally misleading. There is no free shuttle within the city between 8am to 8pm. It's an airport shuttle and costs 10pp. Other than that it was a great hostel. Very friendly staff. Great room with a REAL matress which is different from most other hostels in this range that only offer a crappy thin old matress. It was quite and generally all round great! Great times

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The hostel was ok, but could be so much better. The staff were friendly (and we appreciated the lift from the supermarket from their receptionist).

The room was pretty bare with nothing but a bed and dodgy lock. The bed had been washed but had lint and hair in it - you know the sort of thing that is ok when you're staying round a mates house. But after brushing it off etc we were ok with the room.

There were not enough bathrooms/toilets for the number of guests and it would often take a while before you could get in any of them.

The kitchen(s) were tiny as well, and just not enough space for more than one person to cook at a time. So in the same way you had to wait for a bathrooms to free up before you could use it, you also had to wait for people to finish in the kitchen.

The atmosphere was nice though, the free freshly baked bread in the morning was stunning. As far as hostels go, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Chumphon, Thailand
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Friendly and personable staff although so-so accommodating. This hostel advertises itself as offering a shuttle from the airport however read the fine print that they do not guarantee they will not come pick you up. They mean it too. I have no gripes about not being picked up from the airport but I was disappointed at the lack of helpfulness from the receptionist when I was told this unfavorable news. I would have appreciated some information regarding alternative options to get to the hostel. I found my way eventually by taking the 29 bus from the airport. It was nice to be greeted with a helping smile by the same receptionist and she even offered to help with our bags. Kudos points for being more helpful in person. Quick review of the place. It does not live up to the standards of most hostels I have been to in terms of cleanliness. I have picked hairs from the "fresh" linen on my new bed and the wall outlets are dangling from the wall (safety issue). The showers are private and that is nice. They seem clean too. We were given fresh towels and that is a plus. The kitchen area seems tidy. Overall the rooms, especially the linen could be given some extra attention. Clean linen in a hostel is my main priority. Other notable factors: cheap squeaky bucks that sway back and forth, difficult and small ladders for the top bunk, thin window panes that bring in outdoor traffic from a busy road. I booked this place hoping for the free shuttle as competitors didn't have. I wouldn't book again.

Room Tip: Perhaps request a room not near the main road as the windows/walls are thin and you will hear outsid...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I booked this hostel with mixed feelings, because of the mixed reviews, but got a positive surprise!

I thought it was a really cozy place, situated in an old wooden house. It had a really nice lounge space, with two tables, big windows, woodedn floors, cushions, I felt it was really nice and cozy. Also nice space outside in the summer with wooden benches and all. Also has nice traveller touches, like messages from people that tayed there, drawings in some places.
Dorm rooms (stayed in the sixer) was okay, just metal beds, fresh linen, it was clean so all good.
Hot showes worked and good water pressure.

Kitchen is a little bit small if there are a lot of people, but I did not have problems.

Breakfast in the morning is goof, fresh bread is really good! If you dont like butter or jam you should bring something else to put on the bread ;)

Reception could be friendler, first I felt she was quite unfriendly, but then she helped me out after all, so I guess she is just a little bit reseved, maybe not the ususal open, super friendly character most kiwis have, but in the end, she did everything to give me the info I needed so good.

Location is about 10 to 15 mins walk from centre, even though there is really not much left from the centre, all shambles and empty buildings after the earthquake!

All in one, I think its a good budget option to stay in christchurch! Book ahead because of the earthquake damage there often is a general shortage of rooms in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night.
The beds are basic with only one measly thin pillow, but it was ok.
The people staying there were nice, but the lounge is quite basic too (no tv). The kitchen I thought was adequate and I liked that they put a load of bread out early for the early risers! (Not fresh but still free breakfast!)

My main issue was the bathrooms- the shower/toilet absolutely stank, and there were stains and paint peeling everywhere. They still smelled terrible the next day. I didn't want to put my clothes on the floor, and the bath mat was a towel that was stained and old.
The common areas were all FREEZING cold, and my room door squeaked so loud when it opened and shut it woke everyone up, when a little bit of oiling would sort that out.

However the chap that picks you up from the airport is wonderful- very friendly and welcoming.

It's not the worst hostel I've stayed in, but I probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013