“Reasonable Thai food but something not quite 'right' about this place!”
Review of Keo Thai

Keo Thai
Ranked #445 of 1,068 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arrived quite late for a meal & it was one of the few places in Christchurch where we could get served at 9pm, so I don't want to be too critical. We also only had main courses due the time. We have eaten there before & previously I thought both the food & service were better than this occasion. I have definitely had better Thai meals in NZ & the wine selection was also very disappointing. Wouldn't bother to go again, unless it was once again the only place where we could get a meal late!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We picked this restaurant because it was near our motel and our host recommended it. The food was very good and the service attentive. Because we arrived during a downpour, we were among only a few diners, but the following day (when we were eating next door) Keo was packed both indoors and outdoors. It is deservedly popular.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My friend was visiting from Australia, so I and two other girlfriends who live in Christchurch thought it was a good idea to meet up with her in this Thai restaurant where we had been once with a group of more than 20 people to celebrate a birthday. (That time they tried to overcharge me, but I really thought it was an honest mistake. I also wanted to have a Thai salad, but mild, but they said that there was no option, that this salad was hot, period. This surprised me because in other Thai restaurants you always have options for spiciness, but I just ordered a different meal (I don't like it too hot!)
So, there we went, looking forward to having a fun catch up. All four had had big lunches so we were really full, and decided to have a light meal and share a combination of entrees for four people. As we ordered we explained this to the waitress. I don't drink alcohol but another friend had brought a bottle of wine (being this restaurant BYO) to share with the two other girls. Anyway, we finished our entrees when a second waitress came and ask what we were going to have for dinner. We said to her (as we did to the first waitress) that we were not going to order mains but that we wanted some more entrees. She said that this was not possible and that we SHOULD order a main each. When we said that we were not that hungry and that we only wanted entrees, she got really upset and went away. Two minutes later, an Asian guy, saying to be the manager, came to our table and said to us that the place was not a club and that we were there to eat. We replied that we were eating light food because we were not hungry enough for a main and that we were going to be paying for everything we ate anyway. That he could not force us to have mains. He said that if we were not going to have main meals we should leave immediately!!! He kicked us out saying: "You don't have to pay for this (the entrees), it's free, free, OK? Just leave now!!" We were really shocked!!!!
But there is more... The owner of the restaurant, who we knew who it was because the previous time we had been there he had been cleaning the table to encourage us to leave (it was after 10 pm and I guess he wanted to go home), was sitting in the courtyard outside having a drink with another man. So we went to talk to him and complain about the treatment from the manager. We expected some kind of apology... And what did he say??? That the table that we were using eating only entrees could be used by some other people who might spend at least $100... (instead of around $50 that we were going to pay anyway). And so, yes, we should leave if we were not going to eat mains!!!
It was really shocking to find this kind of behavior of people in businesses who are supposed to provide good service and look after their clients. We felt really offended and outraged by this treatment. We will NEVER go to this place again, and we will let our friends know why.

5  Thank 89Victoria
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I havent eaten at a THai restaurant before, but this was AWESOME. Had a chicken with noodle dish and a Passionate Indian...i was in heaven

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was in a group of about ten when we dined at Keo Thai. All of us were accosted at the entrance as we arrived, and rudely told that if we didn't have a booking, we couldn't dine there. We had booked, so we were allowed in. The restaurant was packed and very noisy.

We ordered several plates of food (to share as a table) at 7.40pm, and the food arrived at 8.50pm. In the meantime, we had to ask where our drinks were twice before they were finally brought to the table. I had to leave shortly after 9pm so I ate very quickly, and was only able to try one dish because the rest hadn't come out by the time I left. The beef dish I ate was delicious though. I did feel that it was expensive for what it was.