“Good Food, Plastic Outdoor Seating”
Review of Keo Thai

Keo Thai
Ranked #444 of 978 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wisconsin
“Good Food, Plastic Outdoor Seating”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My friends had been trying to get a table at this restaurant a couple of times, but finally succeeded when I was with them, lucky me! There is a lovely garden area with outdoor seating or inside seating in the restaurant. We opted for a table in the garden area. My only real disappointment with this place is that the furniture was a plastic patio table and chairs. I was paying to have a nice meal in a restaurant (mains cost approximately $20 NZD), but I felt like I was sitting on the back deck of a friend’s house. Investing in some nice outdoor seating furniture would really class the place up. The food itself was delicious, and now I know it was so difficult for my friends to get a table in the past. I’d be likely to eat here again, especially if the furniture was updated.

Visited February 2014

• Hebrew first
“What a great dinner!”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We were so pleased to find this little gem of a restaurant just within walking distance of our hotel! 2 couples shared 3 marvelous dishes and were more than full. We would definitely return!

Visited March 2014
La Massana, Andorra
“Reasonable Thai food but something not quite 'right' about this place!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arrived quite late for a meal & it was one of the few places in Christchurch where we could get served at 9pm, so I don't want to be too critical. We also only had main courses due the time. We have eaten there before & previously I thought both the food & service were better than this occasion. I have definitely had better Thai meals in NZ & the wine selection was also very disappointing. Wouldn't bother to go again, unless it was once again the only place where we could get a meal late!

• Visited February 2014
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“A good find”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We picked this restaurant because it was near our motel and our host recommended it. The food was very good and the service attentive. Because we arrived during a downpour, we were among only a few diners, but the following day (when we were eating next door) Keo was packed both indoors and outdoors. It is deservedly popular.

Visited February 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Kicked out because we didn't order mains...”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My friend was visiting from Australia, so I and two other girlfriends who live in Christchurch thought it was a good idea to meet up with her in this Thai restaurant where we had been once with a group of more than 20 people to celebrate a birthday. (That time they tried to overcharge me, but I really thought it was an honest mistake. I also wanted to have a Thai salad, but mild, but they said that there was no option, that this salad was hot, period. This surprised me because in other Thai restaurants you always have options for spiciness, but I just ordered a different meal (I don't like it too hot!)
So, there we went, looking forward to having a fun catch up. All four had had big lunches so we were really full, and decided to have a light meal and share a combination of entrees for four people. As we ordered we explained this to the waitress. I don't drink alcohol but another friend had brought a bottle of wine (being this restaurant BYO) to share with the two other girls. Anyway, we finished our entrees when a second waitress came and ask what we were going to have for dinner. We said to her (as we did to the first waitress) that we were not going to order mains but that we wanted some more entrees. She said that this was not possible and that we SHOULD order a main each. When we said that we were not that hungry and that we only wanted entrees, she got really upset and went away. Two minutes later, an Asian guy, saying to be the manager, came to our table and said to us that the place was not a club and that we were there to eat. We replied that we were eating light food because we were not hungry enough for a main and that we were going to be paying for everything we ate anyway. That he could not force us to have mains. He said that if we were not going to have main meals we should leave immediately!!! He kicked us out saying: "You don't have to pay for this (the entrees), it's free, free, OK? Just leave now!!" We were really shocked!!!!
But there is more... The owner of the restaurant, who we knew who it was because the previous time we had been there he had been cleaning the table to encourage us to leave (it was after 10 pm and I guess he wanted to go home), was sitting in the courtyard outside having a drink with another man. So we went to talk to him and complain about the treatment from the manager. We expected some kind of apology... And what did he say??? That the table that we were using eating only entrees could be used by some other people who might spend at least $100... (instead of around $50 that we were going to pay anyway). And so, yes, we should leave if we were not going to eat mains!!!
It was really shocking to find this kind of behavior of people in businesses who are supposed to provide good service and look after their clients. We felt really offended and outraged by this treatment. We will NEVER go to this place again, and we will let our friends know why.

• Visited March 2014