“The best option in Christchurch if not in New Zealand!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Thistle Guest House
Ranked #56 of 130 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Curitiba, PR
“The best option in Christchurch if not in New Zealand!”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I have lived there for over 5 months, at first I book for a month while I was studying English in the University, but in the first week I new I wanted to stay longer.
John, Alisson and Archier are just the best, friendly, helpful, honest, hard workers and really committed to the guests.
Location is just great 10 minutes walk to the university, or 20 minutes by many buses lines across the street to the city, the airport is also 30 minutes by bus(need to do connection).
There are two supermarket, shopping mall, fish and chips, and when you there try Dafinies the Chinese restaurant, is one of the best I have ever had!
If you are after a short stay this place is great, if you need a long term, stop searching now and try your luck, if they have a room available don't think twice, grab it!

Room Tip: I stayed on room number 8 a larger one with basin and two beds facing the backyard and number 5 faci...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
John and Alison G, Owner at Thistle Guest House, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you so much, Rafael, for your kind comments. I hope we can accommodate you again some time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
shanghai
Reviewed 23 March 2013

The location of Thistle guest house is so great. There's a big supermarket nearby, so you could buy everything you needed. Moreover the house is clean and valuable. A TV and a refrigerator is in the private room. That's pretty enough for us.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
John and Alison G, Owner at Thistle Guest House, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you very much for your comments - hope you can return some day!
Plymouth
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed at the Thistle Guest House for one night in September 2012 following a late night flight from Hobart - Melbourne - Christchurch. As we arrived in the very early hours of the morning, the owners were kind enough to leave a key in a safe box. We were also pleasantly surprised to find the heating in our room and electric blanket had been turned on for our arrival - this was very welcome after the shock of the rather chilly NZ spring temperatures!

We had the ensuite room and it had everything we could possibly need including tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was very comfortable and we both slept like babies! We found the price very reasonable and wouldn't hesitate in staying here again or recommending to others.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cookington
John and Alison G, Owner at Thistle Guest House, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank you very much for your review - it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Thistle and we hope to see you back one day!
Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2012

This is literally a home away from home. We stayed here for a few nights. The friendliness of the hosts can really make or break a stay; and I am glad we stayed here because the hosts are the best! They are super nice and soft-spoken and willing to help wherever possible. We booked the room with the private toilet. It was clean and the heater and bed warmers were excellent for the really cold nights. We could use the common kitchen for free. Laundry and dryer was charged but it is the cheapest I have come across in NZ. Wifi is good and he charges a nominal sum for the entire stay. All in all, we enjoyed the stay and it was definitely a bargain.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank armani123sg
John and Alison G, Owner at Thistle Guest House, responded to this review, 22 December 2012
Thank you for your kind comments - so glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope we can help again sometime!
Regensburg, Germany
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed at Thistle Guest house for five nights in April 2012 and was very impressed with the quality of this accomodation. It is in Riccarton and has good connection to public transport. There are many shops and restaurants in walking distance from the guest house.
My room was quiet and very clean. The guest house has a big kitchen, laundry facilities and a lovely garden. There is WIFI at very reasonable prices.
John was a fantastic host. I was picked up at the train station when I arrived and he helped me with all my questions concerning my time in Christchurch. I had a great time in Thistle Guest House and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I have been staying at Thistle Guest house a number of time. My first time was in 2005 and have been returning hear time and time again. The place is spotless, its nice and warm in Winter.

There is a shared kitchen which is always clean and plenty of space. Also a fridge in each room.

There is a direct bus out side, supermarket and a shopping mall in walking distance. Supermarket is about a five min walk and the shopping mall is about 9 minutes.

A nice relaxing place to stay.

They have wifi around the place, the price is not expensive and the signal is great.

Room Tip: I recommence room 9 as it has the King Bed. Room 1 has its own bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Christine M
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Thistle was a great place for us on our one night Christchurch stay...the same day we arrived from Hong Kong. Simple/Quick check-in & out. Great price with a small and clean room.

• Stayed January 2012