“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #110 of 139 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Porirua, Wellington, New Zealand
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Was disappointed with our stay here. Very cold on arrival with only a small fan heater to heat the unit with. Dining room was also inadequate, very cold and dark at breakfast time. WiFi only worked on one day out of three despite assurances that it was all set up. The unit was shabby although clean. Light bulbs were not replaced as required. The staff on the whole were very pleasant. We were requested to pay on arrival and then two days later asked 'how will you be paying' . I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rachel-Mary P
SequoiaTheRedwood, Owner at The Redwood, responded to this review, 25 November 2015
I am so sorry that your stay was so disappointing. The Redwood is now under new ownership and management. We hope you come back and give The Redwood another chance now.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Robertson, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Service and facilities in this hotel are abysmal.
I stayed 4 days in June 2014. There is no heating in the hotel common areas, corridors and in the room there is only a small electric heater. It is freezing
Payment was required for the full stay on checking in.
Breakfast facilities are totally inadequate
Any question relating to the facilities or lack thereof in met with disinterest.
A friend of mine checked out early because of the lack of adequate heating in the room they were in .

Room Tip: All rooms are ice boxes. The rooms on the southern side are even colder
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Richard L

Travellers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Glenorchy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our family had got together for a reunion and our Mothers 80th birthday. This place was her choice so we all "bit the Bullet" and stayed. If it wasn't for her we all would have left!!!!
On arrival I was yelled at by a woman demanding a DEPOSIT. I found out later that she was the Manager/Owner!!! When I said that our family had booked and confirmed a night's accommodation and dinner months ago and that I would like to pay in full, she replied by telling me "That I must have got out of bed on the wrong side this morning" and left!!! She was rude and horrible. Her staff were very apologetic and managed to defused the situation well.
THE UNIT "OMG" We had two adults and two teenagers in our unit which was revolting! Our bed had a broken base so no sleep here! The two bedroom unit had one tiny fan heater for heating ... it was a -5 frost that night and we froze! There was an electric jug with only 3 sachets of coffee and the bathroom was older than my mother!
Our family after settling in decided to all meet at the one and only bar that was open. We hadn't seen each other for a couple of years so catching up with everyone was fun, until we were told to leave as we had a baby with us!!! This would have been ok if there was somewhere else to go but they could offer us any options. Even the grass lawn was out of bounds!! So we ended up having to walk down the main road to another pub who welcomed us with open-arms and snacks! REDWOOD COULD LEARN FROM THIS HOSPITALITY.
After our meal (which was adverage, but thankfully no FOOD POISONING as per TRIP ADVISOR REPORTS - SEQUOIA 88) we came back to our unit to find a beautiful letter folded up and stuffed in our door. No one else had received this letter, just us?
This letter was entitled HOUSE RULES and included a list of things we weren't able to do on top of all of the signs outside:
No cooking - dah with one jug and 3 sachets of coffee, this was not happening
No putting clothing on the courtyard fence - I have respect for myself thank you
No smoking - dah
No alcohol to be consumed in car-park - that one was tough as there was only one chair in our unit so we had to have a social drink in bed! sarcasm here people.
Consideration for others - that was easy as we were the only lucky ones to be staying.
No animals - nope didn't see a mouse
Remove all rubbish from Courtyard - there was a sign stating we weren't allowed there so NO PROBLEM
Check out was no later than 10.00am - Don't worry lady we left at day break!
And then the Grand Gesture - If cleaniness is not up to their standard and in an orderly manner, they will charge an extra $50 cleaning charge and if there is any damage to the unit PAYMENTS WILL BE VIGOROUSLY AND LEGALLY PURSUED!!!!!

I have been in tourism in New Zealand for over 20 years and have never ever coming across a establishment so badly run EVER! I will be warning everyone, friends, family and future clients that if heading to Christchurch DO NOT STAY HERE! Find some manners

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank High-Country-Horses
Just want to let you know that The Redwood is now under new ownership and management. All rooms have been refurbished and we our team are friendly! We hope you will stay at The Redwood again sometime.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I got stuck here for three weeks with work. In one word, hell-ish. Staff are rude. Room was cold, decor from the early 70's. Single bed with ancient beside clock. No cooking facilities in the rooms, other workmates said when they stayed there, they didn't even have fridges until our employer threatened to pull us out unless we had fridges. You can cook your own meals in a couple of shared kitchens across the car park, but it's like a camp ground type deal. Fun if your at the beach, rubbish if your at a motel. Apparently the restaurant there (Sequoia 88) is good, I never went as its an all you eat buffet type thing and after seeing the state of the rest of the place, I wouldn't risk eating here. There's a pub out the back, same owner, which is as run down as the rest of it. I think the owner is more interested in lifting weights in his gym than improving the place. Hated staying here, would never stay again.

Room Tip: Keep driving, keep driving........
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank DaveBevin
Nelson, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I recently stayed here with a bunch of family that all travelled to Christchurch for my nana's 80th. We had 5 rooms and booked a dinner in their restaurant for 22 people, as this is where nana wanted to go... The manager/owner was truly awful! We all dealt with her at different times when checking in, it was hard work just to check in as she keeps saying we had no booking. we did and she eventually found it! But in the process she hung up on my aunty on the phone, stormed off on another aunty and was just rude to me and my brother. When we dealt with staff they were helpful and the restaurant food was ok but the manager/owner made such a bad first impression we will not be back or recommend this place to anyone, there are far nicer hotel owner in Christchurch that I would prefer to give my money too!

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank Lauren33333
Just want to let you know that The Redwood is now under new ownership and management. All rooms have been refurbished and our team iw friendly! We hope you will stay at The Redwood again sometime.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

The redwood has been given a bad wrap ! I recently stayed here (yes I did read these reviews before going). I stayed 3 nights, had a very clean room, plenty of warm blankets, a lovely meal in the restaurant ( staff in restaurant were so nice ) and the lady at reception was very helpful. This IS NOT a 5 star place and I do wonder if the complainers expected that (though they didn't complain about the rate !) the gardens on the property are beautiful.YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR and this met all my expectations. A nice place for people with children, and a good location if you are planning on visiting Kaiapoi , Belfast, or Christchurch. I hired a car and it is very easy driving . The airport is also not too far away. It was very quiet every night, no noise at all.I will stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 58, it was very nice. It took me a few minutes to find the coffee making facilities...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dianne G
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Room was freezing with no extra blankets and when requested never arrived. Staff were unfriendly, absolutely arrogant and the owner has lost his marbles, a complete maniac. There was drunken idiots roaming around from the public bar all the time with pillocks in the car parks. Food in the restaurant was tolerable but suspect. The unit was dated and left us wondering if we needed a doctors check up after leaving. What a dive, how do they stay afloat, you pay for what you get, nothing here!

Room Tip: Leave complex promptly!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Peter N
Just want to let you know that The Redwood is now under new ownership and management. All rooms have been refurbished and our team is friendly! We hope you will stay at The Redwood again sometime.