“Home away from home”

Ranked #14 of 133 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Many thanks to Margaret for a wonderful stay.
We arrived in Christchurch very late, before beginning our motorhome adventure in the South Island. Margaret was fresh faced and full of smiles as she settled us all into our room. We were all spoiled at breakfast time next morning and Margaret and Spoodie took the children on a tour of the garden and paddock, with special treats for the pony.
We returned at the end of our adventure, with an overnight stay before heading back home. Again, a continental breakfast was ready for our disgracefully early departure and the children couldn't wait to get in and tell Margaret all about their adventures!
Brilliant location, we were able to bus in and out of town at minimal expense and were ridiculously close to the airport.
Don't bother with the stale and cold airport motel, book in here and you won't regret it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I love this place. I wanted a place close to the airport and the city centre, yet quiet and restful for me. This is it. Set on tranquil grounds and gardens, this home is just devine. I stayed in the Magnolia room which was bliss for me. Unfortunetely Margaret was unable to be there at the time of my visit due to personal reasons; but ensured that I was very well looked after. Happy to recommend highly and should I return to Christchurch, this will be where I will be staying again.. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Very pleasant and convenient location in the vicinity of the airport. I enjoyed the comfortable bedroom and the great breakfast. Margaret is a very friendly hostess.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed with my mother in Margaret`s B&B when we first arrived in Christchurch and before leaving. Margaret is a very friendly hostess who goes way beyond the call of duty. The bedrooms are spacious and quiet with comfortable beds. Her breakfasts are yummy and it is nice to have breakfast with her other guests at her big breakfast table. The house is set in a lovely garden and paddock for her horses. Margaret really makes her guests feel at home and is incredibly helpful in planning onward trips or tracking down relatively obscure authors living in the Banks Peninsular!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
palmerston north
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Margaret is the ultimate hostess, the perfect combination of friendly yet uber-professional.
The breakfasts were to die for, always different and with attention paid to the smallest details. Sometimes I was even lucky enough to come by extra food for lunch - but don't expect that! This family house turned into a bed and breakfast has fortunately suffered minimal if any damage from the ongoing earthquakes and is a very welcoming place to rest and relax with bedrooms with ensuites, lovely big baths and a gorgeous outside atmosphere as well with balconies, verandas and a lovely garden. I highly recommend St. James Bed and Breakfast to anyone.

Room Tip: Discuss with Margaret what your particular needs are - I'm sure if she can help out she will.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank katrina b
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We were here for barely 24 hours, leaving at 3am for a flight, but absolutely everything about our stay was perfect and we were so well looked after.
In rooms off a lovely family's home our every need was considered and catered for. We had a lovely big double room with ensuite shower room and doors onto the garden as well as our own sitting room. Lavish for such a short stay but such wonderful value for money.
The welcome was warm and upon hearing of our early departure we came back from dinner to find a tray of breakfast goodies to eat on the go.
It's a five minute skip to the airport and maybe 10 into the city suburbs.
Thank you for looking after us so well.

Room Tip: There are ground floor and first floor rooms depending on your mobility. The family does have dogs...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dunedin
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I originally chose St James as it is so close to the airport and I was only staying the night to pick up a friend. I didn't expect to find such a lovely place. And so we booked to stay again at the end of a week long trip around the South Island. Relaxing and welcoming, it was the perfect place to unwind before returning home.

Margaret is the most welcoming host I have ever had the pleasure of staying with. Although my previous visit had been short and 4 months earlier, she remembered me, which made me feel very much at home.

Our room was lovely, with an adjoining lounge that overlooked the beautiful garden. Homemade mince pies were provided upon our arrival and chocolate muffins were awaiting us the next morning. In response to my chocolate allergy, Margaret kindly rustled up a batch of lemon and blueberry muffins so I wasn't left out the next day. The breakfasts were divine and it was such a pleasure to chat with Margaret as she cooked and we ate.

There is both a cat and dog on the premises, although the dog is a friendly spoodle which makes the B&B the perfect place for those with dog allergies. I can seldom recommend places I stay to my very allergic mother, so I am delighted that I can recommend St James to her, and any other travelers who similarly suffer.

We look forward to returning to St James in the future and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoys good old-fashioned Kiwi hospitality in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends