“Great place but very disappointed”

St James Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 130 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place but very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We arrived in Christchurch at 5am and the day before I emailed Margaret and asked whether there would be a chance we could arrive early. She advised us that we could check in at 8am so that was when we arrived. When we got there she said she was surprised to see two of us and at the time I hadn't realised I had chosen the wrong option on my booking and only booked for one person. When we got there she told us our room wasn't going to be ready until later because the people she had in our room hadn't checked out yet as she had expected. That was fine as she was doing us a favour and letting us check in early so we came back at midday and our room was ready at 12.30pm. When we were shown to our room we realised that something was definitely wrong as we had booked the Loft Room and we were being given the Queen Room with shared bathroom. I queried this as the Loft Room is advertised with a private bath room, a couch and separate single bed and the room we were given was a small room with only a bed. The bathroom was down the hall in a separate area. Margaret told me that the bathroom was "private" because it was in an area no one else was using and she confirmed it was the room we had booked and the private bathroom had been supplied. It was very obvious that the room we had booked was not what we received and Margaret was aware of this. I am not sure whether we were given this room because I had accidentally booked for one instead of two people but I cannot see how this would affect being given the correct room. I wondered whether the Loft Room was going to be given to us at 8am like we were told but because we had accidentally only booked for one person, she had decided to move us to a different room. I also noticed that the Loft Room was empty and down the hall so I couldn't understand why it was not given to us. Margaret was nice enough to let us leave after the first night without having to pay for the second night we had booked. When we were paying she let me know that I had only booked for one person and I was surprised and told her that I would definitely pay for two people as it was an accident. What's most disappointing is that this place would have been a really great place to stay if the room we had booked was the one we were supplied with. The area is really nice, Margaret was a lovely host and her breakfast was fantastic, it was just really disappointing that we didn't get what was advertised.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank relli85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Awesome. Fantastic spread for breakfast, Margaret is a great host. We stayed in the Pewter Loft for our first 2 nights in NZ and wished we had booked more. Horses at the back, rose gardens, spacious and very comfortable. Would definitely come back - so much better than a sterile motel room!!

Room Tip: Stay more than one night!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Marg05, Owner at St James Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Please be assured that I endeavoured in every way possible to help you enjoy your stay,
and am most disappointed to have not achieved this.
Marg, St James B&B
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

We had the Magnolia Room, a ground floor double ensuite room with private lounge and access onto the patio and garden. Superb facilities with a delicious breakfast which varied for each of our 3 days. Near the airport, but didn't notice any noise from there. Margaret is a lovely smiley hostess, keen to make your stay enjoyable and help in any way she could. One of the best B&B's we found in our 6 weeks in NZ.
Returned for 2 nights before catching the plane home - Margaret was most apologetic that none of her better rooms were available, so we would have to share a bathroom. Reduced price to reflect this, everything else written above still applied. Would definitely come again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Oamaru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

This is a home that likes visitors and Margaret, our host, was like a welcoming friend. She knows just what you need after a day's travel - a cup of tea and biscuit. Spoody the dog has some interesting stories to share and is very happy if you share some of the most delicious breakfast in the world with her. I don't want to give away Margaret's signature breakfast dish but be aware that you will love it and want more. The garden is made for long summer evenings and winter candles. And the accommodation is quiet, comfortable and luxurious.

Room Tip: Ensuites are bigger and relaxing.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cinquefoil
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Many thanks to Margaret for a wonderful stay.
We arrived in Christchurch very late, before beginning our motorhome adventure in the South Island. Margaret was fresh faced and full of smiles as she settled us all into our room. We were all spoiled at breakfast time next morning and Margaret and Spoodie took the children on a tour of the garden and paddock, with special treats for the pony.
We returned at the end of our adventure, with an overnight stay before heading back home. Again, a continental breakfast was ready for our disgracefully early departure and the children couldn't wait to get in and tell Margaret all about their adventures!
Brilliant location, we were able to bus in and out of town at minimal expense and were ridiculously close to the airport.
Don't bother with the stale and cold airport motel, book in here and you won't regret it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle T
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I love this place. I wanted a place close to the airport and the city centre, yet quiet and restful for me. This is it. Set on tranquil grounds and gardens, this home is just devine. I stayed in the Magnolia room which was bliss for me. Unfortunetely Margaret was unable to be there at the time of my visit due to personal reasons; but ensured that I was very well looked after. Happy to recommend highly and should I return to Christchurch, this will be where I will be staying again.. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Very pleasant and convenient location in the vicinity of the airport. I enjoyed the comfortable bedroom and the great breakfast. Margaret is a very friendly hostess.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo