“The most pleasant place we could wish for.”

St James Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 132 Christchurch B&B and Inns
“The most pleasant place we could wish for.”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Arriving in Christchurch being cheated by the taxidriver, my brother in law and I, were welcomed by a smiling landlady wishing us welcomed by our first names, and I have got a difficult Norwegian name, showing is to our room. Realizing we were not "a couple" she right away upgraded our room so we could sleep in separate beds - to the same price. The fantastic hostess Margareth, served us biscuits and milk in the most fantastic room you can think of. And it has an atmosphere - so much homely than big hotels to a third of the price.

The service was in every aspect of the word excellent. When we wanted to go out for dinner, she brought us to the local tavern and told us to call her so she could pick us up afterwards.

We slept like kings and the breakfast we were served in the morning, no five star hotels could have done better. To top it up, she transported us to where we could pick up the campervan. The next 15 days we have now travelled around the South Island of New Zealand.

Thank you Margareth for your great hospitality.
Svein from Norway and Kok Choy from Malaysia.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed one night at the St. James B&B, and wished I had been able to stay longer! I was in NZ staying with friends on the North Island and wanted to do some exploring on the South Island. After a LOT of research, and being limited in my time and funds, I settled on the St. James, and was so happy I did. Margaret is warm, welcoming, and goes out of her way to be helpful - whether giving me a lift to the International Antarctic Centre or running to grab a first aid kit when I had a minor medical issue arise! The B&B is clean, cosy, and beautifully relaxing. Breakfast was delicious and hearty, and I was even given some muffins to take with me on the remainder of my journey. As I said, I only spent one night (Oct. 30th, 2013) but was so impressed that when I someday return to New Zealand, I will be more than happy to book with the St. James again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Marg05, Owner at St James Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Hi there Ruth,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on St James.. I well remember you staying and am pleased to hear that your trip has gone well and you enjoyed your time here. The penguin community has grown at the Antarctic Centre and I hear they now have one who is not keen on heights! Do hope you can re-visit some time and we can have the pleasure of hosting you again..regards Marg
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We arrived in Christchurch at 5am and the day before I emailed Margaret and asked whether there would be a chance we could arrive early. She advised us that we could check in at 8am so that was when we arrived. When we got there she said she was surprised to see two of us and at the time I hadn't realised I had chosen the wrong option on my booking and only booked for one person. When we got there she told us our room wasn't going to be ready until later because the people she had in our room hadn't checked out yet as she had expected. That was fine as she was doing us a favour and letting us check in early so we came back at midday and our room was ready at 12.30pm. When we were shown to our room we realised that something was definitely wrong as we had booked the Loft Room and we were being given the Queen Room with shared bathroom. I queried this as the Loft Room is advertised with a private bath room, a couch and separate single bed and the room we were given was a small room with only a bed. The bathroom was down the hall in a separate area. Margaret told me that the bathroom was "private" because it was in an area no one else was using and she confirmed it was the room we had booked and the private bathroom had been supplied. It was very obvious that the room we had booked was not what we received and Margaret was aware of this. I am not sure whether we were given this room because I had accidentally booked for one instead of two people but I cannot see how this would affect being given the correct room. I wondered whether the Loft Room was going to be given to us at 8am like we were told but because we had accidentally only booked for one person, she had decided to move us to a different room. I also noticed that the Loft Room was empty and down the hall so I couldn't understand why it was not given to us. Margaret was nice enough to let us leave after the first night without having to pay for the second night we had booked. When we were paying she let me know that I had only booked for one person and I was surprised and told her that I would definitely pay for two people as it was an accident. What's most disappointing is that this place would have been a really great place to stay if the room we had booked was the one we were supplied with. The area is really nice, Margaret was a lovely host and her breakfast was fantastic, it was just really disappointing that we didn't get what was advertised.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank relli85
Queensland
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Awesome. Fantastic spread for breakfast, Margaret is a great host. We stayed in the Pewter Loft for our first 2 nights in NZ and wished we had booked more. Horses at the back, rose gardens, spacious and very comfortable. Would definitely come back - so much better than a sterile motel room!!

Room Tip: Stay more than one night!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Marg05, Owner at St James Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Please be assured that I endeavoured in every way possible to help you enjoy your stay,
and am most disappointed to have not achieved this.
Marg, St James B&B
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We had the Magnolia Room, a ground floor double ensuite room with private lounge and access onto the patio and garden. Superb facilities with a delicious breakfast which varied for each of our 3 days. Near the airport, but didn't notice any noise from there. Margaret is a lovely smiley hostess, keen to make your stay enjoyable and help in any way she could. One of the best B&B's we found in our 6 weeks in NZ.
Returned for 2 nights before catching the plane home - Margaret was most apologetic that none of her better rooms were available, so we would have to share a bathroom. Reduced price to reflect this, everything else written above still applied. Would definitely come again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Oamaru
Reviewed 25 January 2013

This is a home that likes visitors and Margaret, our host, was like a welcoming friend. She knows just what you need after a day's travel - a cup of tea and biscuit. Spoody the dog has some interesting stories to share and is very happy if you share some of the most delicious breakfast in the world with her. I don't want to give away Margaret's signature breakfast dish but be aware that you will love it and want more. The garden is made for long summer evenings and winter candles. And the accommodation is quiet, comfortable and luxurious.

Room Tip: Ensuites are bigger and relaxing.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cinquefoil
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Many thanks to Margaret for a wonderful stay.
We arrived in Christchurch very late, before beginning our motorhome adventure in the South Island. Margaret was fresh faced and full of smiles as she settled us all into our room. We were all spoiled at breakfast time next morning and Margaret and Spoodie took the children on a tour of the garden and paddock, with special treats for the pony.
We returned at the end of our adventure, with an overnight stay before heading back home. Again, a continental breakfast was ready for our disgracefully early departure and the children couldn't wait to get in and tell Margaret all about their adventures!
Brilliant location, we were able to bus in and out of town at minimal expense and were ridiculously close to the airport.
Don't bother with the stale and cold airport motel, book in here and you won't regret it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family