“Wonderful B & B” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 139 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Tasmania
“Wonderful B & B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed at St James one night on our arrival, and two as we departed Christchurch. This is a beautiful home only surpassed by the beautiful lady (Margaret) who owns it. She looks after her guests like they are special friends, nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are of a very high standard and spotlessly clean. Her breakfasts are great even down to the eggs from her own chooks !! you could'nt stay at a better B & B. Very conveniently located to the airport, and the pub down the road serves great food at very reasonable rates. Thanks again Margaret for a wonderful stay !! and thank spoodle for the cuddles xx

Room Tip: all the rooms are excellent !!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nomadTasmania

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lodz, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Dear Margaret,
It was a great pleasure to stay at your beautiful house which seemed like an oasis of piece. Thank you once again for a wonderful time we had at your place and especially for the tips about the Willowbank Reserve and the “seal nursery”. They were both fantastic! All of us had a great time there.
Thank you for your hospitality and care. And for the breakfast which was one of best we had in our lives :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We arrived about 1.30am, having already pre-warned Margaret, our host, that we would be late. Taped to the door was the entry key and what .room we would be having. Being so late, and a little bit jet lagged, we of course were late getting up for breakfast. All the other guests had long gone out. Not a problem to Margaret, she said not to worry, and got us our breakfast. Full monty too! St James is near the airport, but any aircraft noise is minimal, so it is really convenient. There is a lovely garden that guests can use. We spent the rest of the morning lazing out there, still getting over the jet lag. NOTHING seems to faze Margaret at all. Anything you want or ask her, is readily available; the rooms are quiet and comfortable, which is an understatement; breakfasts are fresh and plentiful. We had booked a room for our return to Christchurh, but in the event, we arrived a day early, hoping against hope that Margaret could accommodate us. All the "public" rooms were booked, but she quickly made one of the family rooms available for that night for us. Not a problem!! Is this the best Guest house on South Island? If it's not, I don't know where the best one is, because you would have to go a long way to find it. We were a month on South Island, and in our opinion, St James is the best, and we must have stayed in 15-20 different places, most of them very good, so we are in a position to judge.

Room Tip: Ask for the downstairs room, and you'll get a suite with doors onto the patio!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gladiatorlondon
Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

My sister Kay & I have just left Margaret's home,& what a fabulous home it is.Very warm & welcoming with the added bonus of meeting Spoodie & her family :) (Margaret,s dog).Margaret is a fantastic host & nothing is to much trouble.Her home made banana cake was very grateful after a long journey.The loft room is amazing we thought we where in a 5 star luxury hotel not a B&B.Breakfast was cooked to perfection.We are so glad to be returning to Margaret & Spoodie before we leave the South Island.Thank you for a lovely stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank denise m
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Arriving in Christchurch being cheated by the taxidriver, my brother in law and I, were welcomed by a smiling landlady wishing us welcomed by our first names, and I have got a difficult Norwegian name, showing is to our room. Realizing we were not "a couple" she right away upgraded our room so we could sleep in separate beds - to the same price. The fantastic hostess Margareth, served us biscuits and milk in the most fantastic room you can think of. And it has an atmosphere - so much homely than big hotels to a third of the price.

The service was in every aspect of the word excellent. When we wanted to go out for dinner, she brought us to the local tavern and told us to call her so she could pick us up afterwards.

We slept like kings and the breakfast we were served in the morning, no five star hotels could have done better. To top it up, she transported us to where we could pick up the campervan. The next 15 days we have now travelled around the South Island of New Zealand.

Thank you Margareth for your great hospitality.
Svein from Norway and Kok Choy from Malaysia.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed one night at the St. James B&B, and wished I had been able to stay longer! I was in NZ staying with friends on the North Island and wanted to do some exploring on the South Island. After a LOT of research, and being limited in my time and funds, I settled on the St. James, and was so happy I did. Margaret is warm, welcoming, and goes out of her way to be helpful - whether giving me a lift to the International Antarctic Centre or running to grab a first aid kit when I had a minor medical issue arise! The B&B is clean, cosy, and beautifully relaxing. Breakfast was delicious and hearty, and I was even given some muffins to take with me on the remainder of my journey. As I said, I only spent one night (Oct. 30th, 2013) but was so impressed that when I someday return to New Zealand, I will be more than happy to book with the St. James again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marg05, Owner at St James Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Hi there Ruth,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on St James.. I well remember you staying and am pleased to hear that your trip has gone well and you enjoyed your time here. The penguin community has grown at the Antarctic Centre and I hear they now have one who is not keen on heights! Do hope you can re-visit some time and we can have the pleasure of hosting you again..regards Marg
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We arrived in Christchurch at 5am and the day before I emailed Margaret and asked whether there would be a chance we could arrive early. She advised us that we could check in at 8am so that was when we arrived. When we got there she said she was surprised to see two of us and at the time I hadn't realised I had chosen the wrong option on my booking and only booked for one person. When we got there she told us our room wasn't going to be ready until later because the people she had in our room hadn't checked out yet as she had expected. That was fine as she was doing us a favour and letting us check in early so we came back at midday and our room was ready at 12.30pm. When we were shown to our room we realised that something was definitely wrong as we had booked the Loft Room and we were being given the Queen Room with shared bathroom. I queried this as the Loft Room is advertised with a private bath room, a couch and separate single bed and the room we were given was a small room with only a bed. The bathroom was down the hall in a separate area. Margaret told me that the bathroom was "private" because it was in an area no one else was using and she confirmed it was the room we had booked and the private bathroom had been supplied. It was very obvious that the room we had booked was not what we received and Margaret was aware of this. I am not sure whether we were given this room because I had accidentally booked for one instead of two people but I cannot see how this would affect being given the correct room. I wondered whether the Loft Room was going to be given to us at 8am like we were told but because we had accidentally only booked for one person, she had decided to move us to a different room. I also noticed that the Loft Room was empty and down the hall so I couldn't understand why it was not given to us. Margaret was nice enough to let us leave after the first night without having to pay for the second night we had booked. When we were paying she let me know that I had only booked for one person and I was surprised and told her that I would definitely pay for two people as it was an accident. What's most disappointing is that this place would have been a really great place to stay if the room we had booked was the one we were supplied with. The area is really nice, Margaret was a lovely host and her breakfast was fantastic, it was just really disappointing that we didn't get what was advertised.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple