Governors Bay Hotel
  • Pool
  • Free Internet
Addington City Motel(Christchurch)
Very Good 4/5
2 on Whiteleigh Motel(Christchurch)
Arena Motel(Christchurch)
Gothic Heights Motel(Christchurch)
  • Room Service
All reviewsshared facilitieslyttleton harbourcontinental breakfastshared balconygreat spot to relaxdiamond harbourguest roomssmall roommin drivenew zealandaccommodationkaikoura
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was the only accommodation we could find after arriving late in Christchurch. The view over the bay is amazing and the pub looked great too. We paid $175 a night for a bay view and the room was good but shared toilet and showers became old quickly. Noise from the bar below went on til around midnight and early morning garbage trucks meant we were awake early. Balcony is also shared and as someone previously mentioned slat curtains were not very private.
Meals were a mixed bag. Our entre's were superb (scallops and platter) and reasonably sized. Mains however were tiny and over priced, I tried the Hangar steak one night and the steak the next, both were tiny and disappointing. Continental breakfast in a tiny upstairs room was self service and by the time we went there at 7.45am there was no bread left (1 loaf for 6 rooms is not enough). I mentioned this to staff and the excuse was "we didn't expect to have all rooms booked" which seemed a bit weak to me.
I'd recommend the Hotel for a beer and maybe a meal, but unless it's your only option stay overnight elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014

After a very hectic period of work due to the build up of Xmas, this was a excellent place to relax and enjoy a drink without having to think about drink driving. Just a sprint up the stairs. Great views, relaxing room, friendly staff and a menu in the restaurant and pub bar that anyone would find something to enjoy dining on. I have read some of the reviews about the breakfast room, we found it well stocked and everything you would expect for a continental breakfast. A coffee machine which all can use and which made a great coffee. There was staff downstairs available if there was anything that was missing. But those folks who wanted to sit at the table in the room, get a life and use the balcony which we understood was open to all guests.
Recommend this as a good weekend get away - Christchurch people make the most of it!

Room Tip: A must is get the room with a balcony view.
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Governors Bay hotel for 3 nights in early January. It is a lovely hotel with beautiful views from the front deck where you can enjoy a good meal and a few cold beverages. The staff were lovely and very helpful and we enjoyed all the meals (especially the salmon!) The first two nights we were in a room with a view and had to move for the last night to a room at the back of the hotel as I booked really late. The rooms are small but were well presented with comfy beds and a basin which was handy. The hotel has shared facilties but with only 6 rooms it wasn't a problem and all the bathrooms/toilets/showers were always very clean. It was also really nice to be able to get up and make some toast/cereal and coffee to enjoy on the front guest deck each morning whilst taking in the beautiful view. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay there again should we return to that beautiful part of the world.

Room Tip: Book early to ensure a room with a view!
1  Thank Marina N
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Took a trip to Sumner, Lyttleton and then on to Governors bay. Enjoyed a good dinner here. My mother-in-law had the lamb ribs which she really enjoyed. My husband and I had the burger which was excellent - home made and tasty. My father-in-law had the fish and chips which he also enjoyed. Pleasant, young staff. Good value and reasonably priced.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Another great night at the Governors Bay Hotel. New Years Eve with great food, fabulous views of the harbours lights and a band which made you want to dance the night away. As always this venue is friendly, fun and worth while detouring from the city to enjoy the hospitality of Claire and Jeremy. If you stay the night it is great to wake up
to the sun coming up over the harbour and enjoy the beauty from your bedroom balcony.
Enjoy a wine in front of the fire in the winter or the garden to loll away summer days.
Paradise for sure!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Jeremy D, Owner at Governors Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Apes,
Thank you so much, New Year's Eve was fun even for me behind the bar so I'm so glad you were aboard and enjoyed your night with us. I managed to release my pyromaniac urges by setting off a few fireworks at midnight.
There was a great vibe amongst all of our guests and I'm happy to say that in the ten years we have hosted New Years Eve events here, no aggro that can sadly hinder some town events. Anyway yah to that, have a fabulous 2014 and hope to see you soon,'
Kind regards,