“Fabulous Food and Service”

Becks Southern Alehouse
Ranked #390 of 1,097 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My wife and I booked a table for 7.00pm yesterday (a Saturday). When we arrived it was full. We got seated promptly and were given enough time to settle before the waiter approached - he was very pleasant,knowledgeable and had a great memory taking our initial order without writing it down (as he did all night and got the order all right confirming what we ordered each time)The starters were great - calamari and tomato and capsican soup with a side of garlic bread. A good time of rest afetr the starter the mains came - I was a little concerned I was given no steak knife for my order of Eye Fillet steak (which the waiter admitted he got it wrong) but in no way did I need it as it was simply the BEST steak of any kind I have ever eaten and it just melted away . My wife had the Belly Pork which was also superb. As it was a celebration for my birthday we also ordered a desert - I had a Chocolate Ice Cream Sundae which looked small but was not once I started eating it. My wife had the last Creme Brulee (as the waiter was not sure if they had any left but luckily they did) As with all the other food it was excellent. We finished off with a liquer coffee each and finally paid. we told the staff member how much we thoroughly enjoyed the food and service but he said they had had one of those nights with several complaints - we were astounded as we could not understand why?
The atmosphere was a busy pub like atmosphere which we like rather than too quiet -overall a GREAT dining experience.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Hubby and I really enjoyed dinner here. The service was friendly and they were intrusive. There were too many people there when we arrived but it was only 6.30pm. Hubby raved about his steak which could have been cut with a bread knife. I had fish of the day and that was cooked to perfection. I had the jellytip cheesecake for - yummm!! and hubby had apple crumble.
Both hubby and I highly recommend a visit. And while waiting for your food, have a wee wonder around and look at the photographs of Christchurch from yesteryear - very cool.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Really enjoyed a nice quiet Easter Sunday evening meal here with friends - not many people in and no surcharge!! Very friendly and efficient service. The eye fillet steak was cooked to 'medium' perfection and the blue cod wrapped in bacon was an interesting combination and very tasty. A refreshing change not to have a meal offering 'salad or fries' - a well presented and enjoyable meal with nice vegetables. Much more extensive menu than expected - certainly not just a 'pub meal'.

1  Thank Joan M
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We went for a meal with 3 adults one child we waited for nearly an hour between courses not good when you have a hungry child. When we complained we were told that there computer system got confused because we ordered Breads and dips and an entree meal as main, what a joke. After complaining we were finally given an apology and told two of our meals were on the house. Must say food was not good which was a shame because have been to this place on serveral occasions and really enjoyed the food. Not this time was overall not good.

2  Thank kiwigal68
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Had a great night out at becks alehouse great service from the waitress and amazing food i had the 21 day aged angus steak which was cooked perfectly my wife had the moroccan lamb salad which was great too, would highly recommend to locals and travelers wanting a taste of the local fare.