“Lovely stay until staff member made us feel like we were at boarding school”

Haka Lodge Christchurch
Reviewed 3 October 2013

On arrival we were greeted nicely and given lots of information on the area and hostel. Rooms lovely and hostel very clean. Great facilities even a DVD player and tv. Hostel was great, a bit out of town but right next to the bus stop and 10min walk to the local shops. Our stay was lovely until our last day where a member of stuff repeatedly raised her voice and asked us I we were going to put or washed dishes away. We were will eating and had washed everything we had used but were just eating and relaxing before we put our things away. She when made a boy wash and put away things which he had not used and had a go at him when he questioned this. She was rude and irrational. We had been clean our whole stay and were planning to clear away afterwards, no one was waiting to use these implements or anything like that. She ruined our stay and frankly put me off recommending or coming back to this hostel. I can appreciate frustration over people not clearing up, I have cleaned hostel for accommodation before but her manner and the fact we had been clearing away makes her verbal attack totally uncalled for. On top of this it's not a particularly cheap hostel. This is a shame as all other staff were lovely, professional, and helpful

• Stayed: October 2013
Ryan S, Manager at Haka Lodge Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, glad you found the info we provide about our lodge useful and enjoyed facilities at Haka Lodge. As I had only cleaned the kitchen I was a tad frustrated to see that dishes had been left to be put away. We have limited bench space and when people don't put away their dishes, it leaves less room for other guests to prepare their meals or wash up their own dishes. As you have mentioned, you have worked in hostels before surely you can appreciate how frustrating dishes left behind are. Furthermore, we are an up-market backpackers and we always ensure our properties are cleaned to a very high standard. We appreciate your feedback and hope you and your friends enjoy your travels in New Zealand.

There are newer reviews for Haka Lodge Christchurch

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Absolutely loved this hostel, It was like being at home, cosy, clean, staff were friendly and looked after me :) beds were comfy! Such a lovely place to just chill out and relax I would recommend this hostel to anyone of any ages. Perfect place for couples, groups, or by yourself, everyone that stayed there was lovely and welcoming too, truly felt like a home from home!
I will without a doubt be returning next year!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The Haka lodge was a great place to stay,
Clean rooms and felt just like a home away from home,
Really impressed, very affordable, good on parking,
Defiantly will be staying there again,
Thanks for the stay,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have been here for my holiday on July 2013. The first thing is this one is far away from town. I need to spend $30 for the taxi fees, because I don't have many experience for bus in Christchurch. Second, I am an international traveler so my English is not very good. When the staff talk to me, I can not hear properly after a tired day. But , they did not understand that. They are not friendly to me. Third, the bus is outside the hostel so it is convenient for you to go to Town or Airport. However, the bus timetable is not very flexible. That time, I need to go to the airport at 5:00 in the morning, but they don't have any bus early in the morning. Once again, I need to spend $30 to go to the airport. The good thing of this hotel is the room is big and clean with reasonable price. The hostel also has kitchen for anyone who want to cook. Not highly recommend for anyone who want to live near town and have early flight at the morning but want to save transportation fees.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ryan S, Manager at Haka Lodge Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you very much for leaving us a review. We are glad to read you found the lodge clean and reasonable priced. We are really sorry to hear you found the staff unfriendly however if you had mentioned to the staff you were tired we would of tried to accommodate your needs better as we strive to make our guests feel comfortable and well-cared for when staying with us. Haka Lodge is located in a suburban neighbourhood we have excellent bus services that operate frequently to/from the city and beyond and are on a set timetables which unfortunately do not operate that early in the morning when you required a public bus. Thanks for staying and we would love to see you again. Enjoy the rest of your travels! Kind regards Haka Lodge Team.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

After the shock of landing in freezing Christchurch it was lovely to arrive at this cosy little *ahem* hobbit-hole of a hostel. Friendly staff, (hi Kerri-Anne!), squeaky clean bathroom, comfy double room with a tv and a balcony, and a nice warm fire in the lounge - very welcoming, just what I needed. Good value and great service. Not terribly close to the city or airport but certainly easy & cheap to get to from the latter. I only stayed for one night, before starting a Haka small group tour, but would definitely come again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here - it provided everything we looked for in the kitchen; more than we expected in the common lounge room (it was winter and there was a wood fire warming the entire space), comfortable beds, and very clean bathrooms.
And it was cheaper than practically everything else we looked at on the net (and we looked a lot because price is also important to us).
Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at the Haka Lodge in Christchurch. Its set in a 3 story house and has a very welcoming feel. Hostel was very clean, friendly staff, beds were excellent and the common areas were great. Loved the fireplace in the lounge room! I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone passing through Christchurch.

• Stayed: July 2013