“Weird place to stay”

Canterbury House Backpackers
Düsseldorf
“Weird place to stay”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Having read the other reviews it seems that whether you love or hate this place really depends on the mood the owners are in. While they havn't been what one would call rude or unfriendly during our stay we, too left with the weird feeling of being unwanted guests in someone elses house, disturbing their personal privacy. In our opinion it isn't a proper backpackers as it comes with a long set of rules, but lacks the warm homely touch of a homestay, too. It is very clean though and it only takes about 20 minutes to the city center, but as mentioned in earlier reviews, there was no proper heating available and we were literatly sleeping and dining in our winter jacket ( a fact that must have been noticed by alan when he walked into the room but that was left uncommented). all in all it seems a bit of a hit or miss whether you will like the place, we personally had hoped for a better welcome to nz and have stayed in far better places afterwards.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Czech first
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
Reviewed 5 March 2014

With no other choice beacause every other hostel was full, we stayed one night in this weird place.
Yes, it is clean and you'll get a shower and a kitchen.
BUT - it is a place of two owners that makes you feel terrible! It feels like they don't even want you to be there. YOU WILL BE ENTERING A DOLL HOUSE!! There are a 1000 rules of what you are allowed and not allowed to do! You won't ever feel comfortable in this place!!!
Don't waste you money on this awfull place!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Adva K
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a single room, one of the few places I could fond one. Would've been better to stay closer to town center of Christchurch. It was nice and clean, and didnt have to wait to use shower or toilet in the house.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here two nights and felt like we were visiting our grandma's house. It was clean and well kept but you felt like you couldn't move for being watched. The owners were everywhere. We would have liked to watch some tv or sit in the lounge but they were there. When we at breakfast they were there. We couldn't wear shoes inside and I felt like we were going to get in trouble for doing something wrong. Nice facilities but felt uncomfortable the whole time we were there.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suissegirl
Kent
Reviewed 19 November 2013

When I arrived Keiko opened the front door and greeted me, telling me to take my shoes off as I entered. I was shown to my room and then had to go into the office to pay my nights stay. I was given my room key and a limited free wifi voucher which didn't last very long but was very handy! I was then shown around the house where the nearest bathrooms were. I was also shown the kitchen and dining area which I could use. I then went back into my room and met other guests who were very friendly. The room I was given had a normal single bed and a bunk bed- so I was sharing a room with two other people which isn't too bad. The bed had clean linen and a chocolate treat for me as I arrived. The rooms seemed quite old fashioned but it didn't matter as I only had to sleep there for one night. The bed was comfortable and there was enough bedding provided to keep me warm.

I used the shower when I arrived which stayed very clean and the water stayed warm for a long time which is good. There are hairdryers I could choose from to use and I didn't have to pay a deposit or ask to use them.

In the kitchen there was plenty of equipment provided for the guests. There was kettles, microwaves and ovens guests can use which is good. There was free tea, coffee, milo and hot chocolate provided too. I used the kitchen and sat in the dining room while I ate. In the corner of the dining room is an information area which is full of leaflets and maps. Alan who also owns the house is a very sweet man. He was very helpful and gave me leaflets and maps which could come in handy. He also gave me good tips for the places which I was travelling to and I felt comfortable speaking to him.

The intercity bus stop is a 20 minute walk from the house which is not too far but make sure you leave plenty of time as it can take a while to walk there if you have a lot of bags.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at this house. I wouldn't call it a "hostel" as it just felt very homey which I liked. It was nice to stay in Canterbury house as I had been staying in hostels all week and it was nice that the house had a very homey feeling about it. They also have a cat which is very cute and adds to the feeling of it being home-like. I recommend staying here and I would definitely stay again if I had to stay in Christchurch. I would have liked to stay longer to get to know Alan & Keiko more as they were both very friendly but it was a shame I had to leave.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Everything you need in a hostel. Clean kitchen, good showers, warm bedding, towels provided, 10 min walk from CBD. Friendly owners live in the same house, so more of a homestay than hostel. Free WiFi voucher too

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was passing through Christchurch on my way back from Lake Tekapo and needed a place to stay just for two nights.The hostel is basically Alan & Keiko's house which they share with backpackers. It was very clean and quiet. I only paid 45 NZD per night. The room I had was very small but the bed was pretty comfortable. It wasn't the prettiest of rooms but what can I expect for only 45NZD? I was out in the city most of the time I was there, so didn't really need a big room anyway. I saw some of the other rooms in the house and they looked quite nice and big.

The kitchen and bathrooms are very clean. They have a lovely garden, which had lots of flowers blooming, so in the summer it would make a lovely area to sit out and enjoy the fine weather. It's about 20 minutes walk to the city centre and 10 minutes walk to the two nearest supermarkets. Location-wise it's good, if you don't mind walking. The American lady who works there was very friendly and helpful. Keiko could do with improving on her hospitality I think. I found her a bit brash and fussy. I would recommend this hostel though.

Room Tip: There is a Speight's Bar and Restaurant next door to this hostel. If you're staying on a Sat...