“Great Service”

Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed here for two nights before flying out of New Zealand. It is a modern clean hotel and quite typical of airport hotels in most centres. Our room was spacious and comfortable. There was some major construction work going on outside our room which made the view less than desirable. However, the service in the hotel was outstanding -- the man who brought our bags to the room, the staff at reception, the servers in the restaurant, the cleaning staff, and the friendly driver who took us to the airport (at 3:00 AM).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Pickup from the airport was fast and efficient, as was checkin.
We were put into the Hillary Suite which we found to be light, bright and spacious - certainly an unexpected pleasure after our flight from Australia.
Dinner in Patterson's Restaurant maintained the great impression already given especially when we were given a complementary drink each. Both the rack of lamb and short neck clams in creamy sauce were to die for. Breakfast the following morning was equally as good.
At checkout the staff were very good when the tour coach did not arrive and happily rang the tour company even though this meant staying on the phone for about 15 minutes while things were sorted out. Top marks for that.
I also witnessed the way staff fussed over a disabled guest - couldn't have done better with their own mother.
I would certainly stay there again and based on this experience will look at other Copthorne hotels.

Room Tip: Request the Hillary Suite if it is available.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The room we stayed in was absolutely fantastic. If you every get the chance to stay in the Hillary suite I highly recommend it. It was absolutely perfect for our wedding night.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We called, as specified, at the airport upon our arrival and the van was there in a flash to pick us up. We stayed in the Hillary Suite on the top floor which looked considerably nicer than the other rooms (many of the doors were open in the hallway while being cleaned). The Hillary Suite felt spartan and the air was very stale and musty. The bed was moderately comfortable and the bathroom spacious. All in all, it was okay for a one night stop over but not somewhere I would want to spend a lot of time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank worldtraveler_1037
Reviewed 24 February 2012

From the moment I was picked up at the airport to being ferried back to the airport, the staff at the hotel could not have been more delightful. Polite and extremely helpful, I would definitely come back here again for another stay. The extremely cosy and spacious rooms at the business suite levels does help too :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We both started and ended our trip at the Copthorne Hotel Commodore. When we arrived we were exhausted after a cancelled flight delayed our arrival by 9 hours. With two little boys in tow, we were delighted that we would still be able to be picked up at the airport so late in the evening. Isaac picked us up and immediately made friends with our 3-year-old who was on the verge of a meltdown. Once at the hotel he grabbed our bags and entertained our son the entire way to our room answering all the questions a little boy can ask. I can't say enough nice things about Isaac! Our son talked about him for days after we left. We returned again at the end of the trip and said a few more days. Again it was great service. We were able to enjoy more of the hotel as well. They pool was lovely. And the coupons for free drinks came in handy each night. :) We also had great service in the Patterson resaurant. One of the waitresses even offered to take our youngest to see the pond with the fishes so we could finish our breakfast as he was clearly ready to go before we were. Overall, we had a great experience. My only complaint would be that we were next to the construction site and the last night the sliding doors were going at all hours.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kiwis_wife
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at this property my last night on the South Island in November, 2011 before catching an early morning flight out of CHC to head back to the States. I couldn't have been more pleased with this decision.
I arrived in the late evening at the domestic terminal and it was easy to find a phone there to contact the hotel and arrange for their van to pick me up less than 10 minutes later. Check in was very easy and informative and included a complimentary voucher that I used to down a final Speight's Distinction after getting myself organized in the clean, quiet , well appointed room to which I was assigned.
I got a number of restful hours of sleep in a comfortable bed prior to my 4:00 A.M. wake up call.
As soon as I was showered and dressed I was able to check out seamlessly at the front desk and immediately catch a van back to CHC in ample time to catch my early morning flight.
The only glitch in my stay was the difficulty I had getting my American Airlines AAdvantage account credited with 250 miles for this stay. That is the reason that I delayed writing this review until now. I was very impressed with how attentive the staff of this property were in promptly responding to my multiple e-mails about this problem. It took fully 2+ months to take care of this but I never felt that my inquiries were "blown off" or "put on the back burner" by the front office staff that I exchanged e-mails with over the past three months. In fact, I was particularly impressed with the diligence of the staff to help sort out this glitch with me.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo