“Mostly good..”

Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Auckland
“Mostly good..”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed at the Copthorne Commodore in Christchurch on business for two night's in the week of the 26th August.

On arrival at the airport I was impressed by the prompt and friendly shuttle driver. I arrived at the hotel very early - about 10am. From previous conversations with the reception staff I understood that there was a full house the night before and that I would be unable to check in immediately on arrival. The reception staff did process the check in but advised me that I would have to wait for my room. I was fine with that and asked if someone could come and let me know when my room became avaialbe as I would be staying onsite. I settled down in the lovely outside courtyard until it became too cold and I move in to the little lounge which was also very nice and comfortable. At 12 noon I was told I would need to move before 12.30 as there was a booking for lunch in the lounge. There were also a number of bookings in the restaruant so it appeared the only inside place to wait was the two chairs in front of reception. After about an hour of waiting there and seeing several big groups check in and get handed their room keys I approached reception and asked if my room was ready - it was. There was no apology from the receptionist for not letting me know earlier.

The room itself was nice, spacious and comfortable and I don't beleve it was one of the newly rennovated rooms. It was exactly what I needed for my stay. I was travelling in a group with others who were not so lucky. One of the rooms had a ranchslider with a broken locking mechanism so it had a security chain on in instead (the door could be opened from the outside a couple of inches even with the chain on) and another room that had heating stuck on the high setting so resembled a sauna.

In the afternoon of my first day, the shuttle service took me to and bought me back from the local shopping mall. Once again I received very friendly and prompt service.

Service was very hit and miss in the restaurant at breakfast time, getting something as simple as a glass of water was quiet difficult when the water station had run out. The selection of breakfast was quite good.

If you are a tourist to Christchurch this hotel is not in the most accessible location to the central city.

All in all, would I stay again if travelling for business? Yes, I would. I basically believe this hotel have good bones but could do with a bit of a polish.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Booked a room at last minute getting a reduced rate. Regular room with free drink. Bar staff excellent. Restaurant meal top value. Excellent cuisine including a very nice wine & beer. Very memorable dinner & cooked breakfast. Would definitely stay again if available. Asset to ChCh in its rebuild state.

• Stayed August 2013
MichaelPattersonGM, General Manager at Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear DoctorJanet,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Michael
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed here for business as was the hotel a small conference I was attending was using. Conference wasn't at the hotel. Stayed 2 nights.

Had both good and very average experiences from a service perspective. Free shuttle from airport speedy and pleasant service. The group I was with had a number of less than great experiences with reception from simplest requests to managing trying to pay bills for 6 rooms on one account. Wait staff in restaurant seemed incapable of adding an extra setting to a table at breakfast so we ended up grabbing a chair and c

Located in a more suburban area near the airport it is not an easy walk to a cafe or shops. The hotel does offer a shuttle service to a local shopping area and the airport.

Hotel is comfortable but a little tired in places. The Commodore has had a captive market recently with most of the city hotels out of commission, but with new hotels now opening in the city they are competing with more modern feeling amenities and on price. We stayed on in Christchurch for the weekend, but moved to another hotel as it had a better deal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
MichaelPattersonGM, General Manager at Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear 01Foodie,

Thank you for reviewing the Commodore. We have certainly taken "on board" your comments around service and will be using them for training.

You can be sure that over the next few years you will see continuous upgrading and refurbishment of our Hotel.

Our family have been here for forty one years and we intend ensureing the the Commodore is ready to compete with the new competion we may see.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I've never written a review or considered writing a review for a hotel but this time I was very impressed. I travel often, mostly on business and I wish I had a hotel like this in every city! I was able to catch the shuttle to and from the airport (very pleasant driver), I was expected on arrival and check-in was efficient with friendly, capable staff able to answer any questions and always willing to help. The hotel has a relaxed feel, it was busy but with a wonderful atmosphere. My room was spacious and clean with everything I needed. The food at the restaurant was very enjoyable, I could have quite happily spent another couple of nights there. See you next time I'm in Christchurch.

1 Thank DMARIA2013
Dear DMARIA2013,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

Your positive comments are a great motivator for our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Phnom Penh
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Copthorne Commodore is that rarity, a hotel that seems like it has an individual character. The staff are brilliantly friendly and the rooms very pleasant, especially those with a view out to the gardens. It is a little trek into the city, but very well located for transit to the airport, and the transit bus goes at command virtually. Several cuts above most other airport hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank brians1195
Dear brians1195,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Commodore.

You can be sure that the whole team will see your positive comments.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Given the shortage of accommodation in Christchurch since their devastating earthquakes, the Copthorne is one of the premier hotels in the city. That being said, this hotel is pretty dated. The rooms are more like motel rooms than hotel rooms and I was disappointed with the shower service. I had a shower at 7am and it was tepid at best. Several colleagues mentioned they'd also had lukewarm showers the evening before so this would appear to be a systemic issue that needs attention. On the up side, the staff at the hotel were fantastic, both in the restaurant and at reception. They do their very best to make a dated facility as welcoming as possible.

• Stayed August 2013
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stay here on a reasonably regular. The business suites are excellent. The facilities, including a gym, indoor pool and spa pool, are good. The staff are friendly and helpful, until you arrive in the dining room. I don't know whether it's the number of visitors, the standard chores that need to be done around the servicing of the dining service, or a lack of training about watchful, proactive attention to the needs of diners, but something is missing. This is particularly true at breakfast time. One morning I watched while two staff chatted as they dried glasses at the bar and another stood off to the side and seemed disinterested in the arrival of guests arriving. On three (of the five mornings) I had to get up and go to someone to request my beverage of choice. I keep hoping it will improve and, while not a big thing, find it irritating that a basic, personalised piece of customer service is missing. I want to give this hotel a 4 or 5. It was tempting, given this last stay, to rate it a 2.

Room Tip: If you are having breakfast here, order your beverage of choice as you 'check into' the dini...