“Lovely service & facilities” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch

Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch
Ranked #1 of 148 Hotels in Christchurch
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Lovely service & facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Recently stayed 2 nights (second time at the hotel) & had a much nicer room than last time. Lovely swift check-in & nice chatty porter to help with luggage to room. Large spacious room with 2 double beds, loved the large marble area around the sink with toilet,bath & shower in another area. Enjoyed having room to spread out toiletries & make-up! Comfy bed & soft pillows. Had the waterfall outside my room which i enjoy hearing (is switched off during the night) If this noise may irritate you then make sure you don't get room 245! Made use of the gym this time and was suitably impressed - good range of equipment & spacious area. Sauna also great although takes longer than the mentioned 10 mins to heat up. Great spa pool & swimming pool (indoor) Ordered room service dinner & was also very impressed (recommend fillet steak!) Overall the service & facilities are really good. More pricey than other hotels I have stayed in but quite good value. Will stay again when back in CHC next month! Oh - nearly forgot to mention - housekeeping immaculate! :) One pedantic thing to note - hairdryer could do with replacing!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the newer wings!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MichaelPattersonGM, General Manager at Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dera Fiona,
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We replaced the Hair Dryer in Room 245 as soon as your comment was posted.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Michael Patterson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed in the Superior King room with my partner on our first night in New Zealand, and the Superior Plus Business room on our last night in NZ.

We found the rooms were spacious and clean, the beds comfortable... there was very little noise to disturb us from a good sleep... our rooms had balconies overlooking the gardens and had much natural light, we were very happy with our rooms.

The hotel location is close to Christchurch airport and we used the hotel free shuttle bus which was on time and convenient. We had friendly hotel staff show us to our room at check-in, we were happy in particular with the hotel's service manager Sam who was very courteous and warm which was a lovely welcome and farewell for us to New Zealand.

At the hotel restaurant ("Patterson's") we tried their seafood chowder, meatlovers pizza, caesar salad, and warm beef salad - we were happy with all, though I thought the beef salad could be improved by being less salty...
We were happy that we were promptly seated at a table with a pleasant view of the surrounding gardens and water features.
I note that despite my attempts to gesture to wait staff to collect our payment it took them longer than expected to pay attention to our table, which was very annoying; me and my partner were very keen to get rest as soon as possible after eating as we had just had a tiring early morning flight... I do believe greater attentiveness by wait staff would have resolved this matter.

At check-in... the receptionist charged my credit card the entire bond deposit, instead of collecting my pre-authorisation like most hotels...?? As a result, at check-out I was returned my bond deposit by cash... I found this unusual. When I talked to another receptionist a week later and asked why my credit card had been charged upfront, she explained this was an error on the hotels behalf and at check-in they were not supposed to charge my card.
I would have appreciated if the check-in staff would have had the courtesy to let me know of their error upfront and how they were rectifying it, instead I was left wondering what had happened.... this was disappointing.

This hotel has very nice clean rooms, and the location is convenient. I believe the quality of service is altogether good.. but can be improved.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Great quiet hotel, great service right from the time you step in. Nice to get an upgrade to a business suite in the new section ( thanks Alex). Food good, bar good, access to airport and main arterial roads good. I will be back for sure.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed at the Copthorne Commodore in Christchurch on business for two night's in the week of the 26th August.

On arrival at the airport I was impressed by the prompt and friendly shuttle driver. I arrived at the hotel very early - about 10am. From previous conversations with the reception staff I understood that there was a full house the night before and that I would be unable to check in immediately on arrival. The reception staff did process the check in but advised me that I would have to wait for my room. I was fine with that and asked if someone could come and let me know when my room became avaialbe as I would be staying onsite. I settled down in the lovely outside courtyard until it became too cold and I move in to the little lounge which was also very nice and comfortable. At 12 noon I was told I would need to move before 12.30 as there was a booking for lunch in the lounge. There were also a number of bookings in the restaruant so it appeared the only inside place to wait was the two chairs in front of reception. After about an hour of waiting there and seeing several big groups check in and get handed their room keys I approached reception and asked if my room was ready - it was. There was no apology from the receptionist for not letting me know earlier.

The room itself was nice, spacious and comfortable and I don't beleve it was one of the newly rennovated rooms. It was exactly what I needed for my stay. I was travelling in a group with others who were not so lucky. One of the rooms had a ranchslider with a broken locking mechanism so it had a security chain on in instead (the door could be opened from the outside a couple of inches even with the chain on) and another room that had heating stuck on the high setting so resembled a sauna.

In the afternoon of my first day, the shuttle service took me to and bought me back from the local shopping mall. Once again I received very friendly and prompt service.

Service was very hit and miss in the restaurant at breakfast time, getting something as simple as a glass of water was quiet difficult when the water station had run out. The selection of breakfast was quite good.

If you are a tourist to Christchurch this hotel is not in the most accessible location to the central city.

All in all, would I stay again if travelling for business? Yes, I would. I basically believe this hotel have good bones but could do with a bit of a polish.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Booked a room at last minute getting a reduced rate. Regular room with free drink. Bar staff excellent. Restaurant meal top value. Excellent cuisine including a very nice wine & beer. Very memorable dinner & cooked breakfast. Would definitely stay again if available. Asset to ChCh in its rebuild state.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelPattersonGM, General Manager at Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear DoctorJanet,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Michael
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed here for business as was the hotel a small conference I was attending was using. Conference wasn't at the hotel. Stayed 2 nights.

Had both good and very average experiences from a service perspective. Free shuttle from airport speedy and pleasant service. The group I was with had a number of less than great experiences with reception from simplest requests to managing trying to pay bills for 6 rooms on one account. Wait staff in restaurant seemed incapable of adding an extra setting to a table at breakfast so we ended up grabbing a chair and c

Located in a more suburban area near the airport it is not an easy walk to a cafe or shops. The hotel does offer a shuttle service to a local shopping area and the airport.

Hotel is comfortable but a little tired in places. The Commodore has had a captive market recently with most of the city hotels out of commission, but with new hotels now opening in the city they are competing with more modern feeling amenities and on price. We stayed on in Christchurch for the weekend, but moved to another hotel as it had a better deal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
MichaelPattersonGM, General Manager at Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear 01Foodie,

Thank you for reviewing the Commodore. We have certainly taken "on board" your comments around service and will be using them for training.

You can be sure that over the next few years you will see continuous upgrading and refurbishment of our Hotel.

Our family have been here for forty one years and we intend ensureing the the Commodore is ready to compete with the new competion we may see.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I've never written a review or considered writing a review for a hotel but this time I was very impressed. I travel often, mostly on business and I wish I had a hotel like this in every city! I was able to catch the shuttle to and from the airport (very pleasant driver), I was expected on arrival and check-in was efficient with friendly, capable staff able to answer any questions and always willing to help. The hotel has a relaxed feel, it was busy but with a wonderful atmosphere. My room was spacious and clean with everything I needed. The food at the restaurant was very enjoyable, I could have quite happily spent another couple of nights there. See you next time I'm in Christchurch.

1 Thank DMARIA2013
Dear DMARIA2013,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

Your positive comments are a great motivator for our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back.