“Lovely room”

Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed one night in a newly opened wing. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Airport shuttle was great. Staff all very friendly and efficient. Only negative was a noisy radiator that kept my husband awake. Great hotel for early morning departures but otherwise would stay further in the city for sight seeing etc.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
MichaelPattersonGM, General Manager at Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear penbon,
Thank you for staying with us, I am so pleased you enjoyed our new Matai Wing. We have been doing some more "fine tuning" on the heating system and thank you for mentioning this to us.

There are newer reviews for Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Comfortable and decently priced. Close to the airport with free shuttle service. I like that unlike other hotels in New Zealand, it does not levy a credit card fee. Free unlimited Wi-Fi in the lounge and restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear chrispstan,
Thank you for your comments. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the Free Internet Service in our Lounge.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Pretty good spacious room and very comfortable bed. I had lousy cell phone reception but the hotel reversed the $10 fee when I complained. Also the clock alarm went off at midnight. I wish all hotels had their housekeeping check this out every day. We chose this hotel so we could use the gym but when we arrived it was closed because of wet carpet. But the staff worked to get my husband to a third party gym. Good hotel near the airport. Not sure I'd recommend the restaurant. Worst OJ I've had for years and there's no excuse for serving crap OJ. Also dinner wasn't great for the prices.

Dear Pppeta,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay.
We have taken "on board" your comments in regard to the Alarm Clock. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by the maintenance in the gym, but pleased you got to experience "Fitness Canterbury". The Bar will from now on be serving only "Real OJ".
Michael

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I love the little extra touches, free bikes, great! Complimentary bus passes, great! Free shuttle to pick up & drop off at airport, any time & can be used to drop you to nearest shopping centre. Rooms roomy & clean & tidy & all the staff extremely friendly & helpful. One suggestion, please can you provide green tea in the rooms.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Healthphil

Dear Healthphil,
Thank you so much for staying with us, and for such positive feedback. I was pleased that you appreciated being able to use our Bikes and Free Bus Passes to the City. I have instructed our Houeskeeper to include "Green Tea" in all our Rooms, previously we only had it available on our "Business Level", and thank you for pointing this out.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Recently stayed 2 nights (second time at the hotel) & had a much nicer room than last time. Lovely swift check-in & nice chatty porter to help with luggage to room. Large spacious room with 2 double beds, loved the large marble area around the sink with toilet,bath & shower in another area. Enjoyed having room to spread out toiletries & make-up! Comfy bed & soft pillows. Had the waterfall outside my room which i enjoy hearing (is switched off during the night) If this noise may irritate you then make sure you don't get room 245! Made use of the gym this time and was suitably impressed - good range of equipment & spacious area. Sauna also great although takes longer than the mentioned 10 mins to heat up. Great spa pool & swimming pool (indoor) Ordered room service dinner & was also very impressed (recommend fillet steak!) Overall the service & facilities are really good. More pricey than other hotels I have stayed in but quite good value. Will stay again when back in CHC next month! Oh - nearly forgot to mention - housekeeping immaculate! :) One pedantic thing to note - hairdryer could do with replacing!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the newer wings!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dera Fiona,
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We replaced the Hair Dryer in Room 245 as soon as your comment was posted.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed in the Superior King room with my partner on our first night in New Zealand, and the Superior Plus Business room on our last night in NZ.

We found the rooms were spacious and clean, the beds comfortable... there was very little noise to disturb us from a good sleep... our rooms had balconies overlooking the gardens and had much natural light, we were very happy with our rooms.

The hotel location is close to Christchurch airport and we used the hotel free shuttle bus which was on time and convenient. We had friendly hotel staff show us to our room at check-in, we were happy in particular with the hotel's service manager Sam who was very courteous and warm which was a lovely welcome and farewell for us to New Zealand.

At the hotel restaurant ("Patterson's") we tried their seafood chowder, meatlovers pizza, caesar salad, and warm beef salad - we were happy with all, though I thought the beef salad could be improved by being less salty...
We were happy that we were promptly seated at a table with a pleasant view of the surrounding gardens and water features.
I note that despite my attempts to gesture to wait staff to collect our payment it took them longer than expected to pay attention to our table, which was very annoying; me and my partner were very keen to get rest as soon as possible after eating as we had just had a tiring early morning flight... I do believe greater attentiveness by wait staff would have resolved this matter.

At check-in... the receptionist charged my credit card the entire bond deposit, instead of collecting my pre-authorisation like most hotels...?? As a result, at check-out I was returned my bond deposit by cash... I found this unusual. When I talked to another receptionist a week later and asked why my credit card had been charged upfront, she explained this was an error on the hotels behalf and at check-in they were not supposed to charge my card.
I would have appreciated if the check-in staff would have had the courtesy to let me know of their error upfront and how they were rectifying it, instead I was left wondering what had happened.... this was disappointing.

This hotel has very nice clean rooms, and the location is convenient. I believe the quality of service is altogether good.. but can be improved.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Great quiet hotel, great service right from the time you step in. Nice to get an upgrade to a business suite in the new section ( thanks Alex). Food good, bar good, access to airport and main arterial roads good. I will be back for sure.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business