“You don't get what you pay for...YOU GET MORE!!”

Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 25 November 2010

What an absolutely delightful experience; from checking in to when waving the courtesy bus goodbye at the airport. The only thing I'd change about my stay at the Commodore would be that I'd stay longer because the whole team do a marvellous job looking after clients.

I chose the Commodore mainly because I had an early flight and wanted to be close to the airport but didn't want to stay in a crappy hotel. However, I do not consider the price I paid for my room high - considering my entire stay it was incredible value for money for this very delighted traveller!

The room - exceeded my expectations.
Spacious and clean with an oh-so-comfortable bed and accessible bathroom (for those travellers with wheelchairs or special needs). A lovely (huge!) wide screen TV with so many channels to choose from, which made a nice change from the Sky channels found in Accor hotels. I enjoyed a very comfortable sleep after a relaxing soak in that wonderful bath tub (long and deep - great for those with long legs!). I loved the walk to my room, the hallway was elegant and the artwork on the walls (photos around NZ) were very tasteful.

The restaurant
Great menu, chef, and bar/wait staff. Only too happy to accommodate any special requests PLUS you get a free drink voucher upon check-in (how good is that?!). Has an inviting atmosphere that makes me wish I could organise a party or two there (sadly, I live in Australia so an after-work function might be slightly tricky). Conveniently located just past the front desk, nice and close but far enough away from your room so you're not disturbed. I highly recommend the pizzas and orange/mandarin chilled souffle from the restaurant!! The outdoor dining will be lovely once it's completed.

The staff
My experiences with the front desk, porters, restaurant, and shuttle bus driver were classic of the service you'll receive in NZ...they know how to look after guests. However, the Commodore crew just seemed exceptional. They were genuinely charming and I'd give them all gold medals if they were competing in the NZ Hospitality Olympics.

Other amenities
The pool, that glorious pool. Go for a swim...just do it. Covered and clean, it was a delight to go for a paddle in the heated water.

This hotel would clearly appeal to the business traveller or to companies looking for a venue to hold an out-of-town conference, it doesn't have the stark standardised feel that other business hotels fall victim to. The whole place is simply elegant and is a lovely place to stop over or to base yourself if you prefer to be away from the city heart - the airport is nice and close, Riccarton Westfield, etc. Guests receive a free bus ticket into the city HOWEVER, there is lovely (free) shuttle bus that is only too happy to take you to a number of places nearby.

The Commodore just has so much going for it. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and am confident anyone else booking will enjoy their experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Commodore Airport Hotel, Christchurch

Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed here for one night on a recent trip to the South Island of New Zealand. We arrived at 1.30am so we just needed somewhere to stay for the night which was close to the airport. On arrival at the airport we phoned the hotel on the courtesy phone in the airport and they were there within minutes to pick us up - another couple of minutes and we were checking in. The staff were very friendly and helpful and offered to take our bags. We just wanted to sleep!! We had two single beds which was unfortunate, but when I arrived home I found a message on my answering machine from the hotel asking if we would like queen or single beds. It wasn't a problem for us, as we were literally sleeping and getting up and going early.
The beds were comfortable, the room was very quiet. The bathroom was adequate. It's not close to the city centre but if you're after somewhere near the airport this is the spot.
In the morning we had breakfast which was included in our Wotif.com deal. Have to say it was very average and wouldn't have been happy had we paid for it.
Check out was a breeze and another transfer to the airport within minutes. Very convenient place to stay.

1  Thank Antsuz78
Reviewed 21 November 2010

We stayed in the Copthorne for 1 night after arriving in the middle of the night on a flight from Australia. The service was excellent. When we arrived at the airport at 0200, we called the free hotel shuttle which arrived within 5 minutes. The check-in went really quickly and smoothly and the staff helped us with our luggage. The room was huge and we slept like babies as the beds were so comfortable. We were also given complimentary free WiFi and a late check-out. All in all we found the hotel and service excellent. This is the perfect hotel if you need a hotel close to the airport after a late flight or for an early departure.

Reviewed 16 November 2010

We had an early morning flight back to Melbourne and this was the perfect place to stay the night before. Staff were very helpful and courteous and the Premier room was very nicely decorated and looked out to the garden. It was also very quiet - no TV noise from the rooms next door or above. Received two free drink vouchers at the restaurant which served an excellent meal. Would highly recommend for those with a need to stay close to the airport.

Reviewed 10 November 2010

Nice, clean, well maintained hotel. Staff very helpful and friendly. Courtesy bus to and from the airport. Rooms spacious, clean, well equipped and no external noise noticed. Food very good.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Perfect hotel, would stay there again. Staff are polite and very helpful. Hotel is very clean, has spacious rooms with all amenities, stocked bar fridge, sky tv etc. Ordered room service, very effiecent and food was hot and tasted great. Try the Chataman islands blue cod or the lamb shank....beautiful
Reception is very helpful, If traveling into town request a bus pass at recepton. This is usually given free of charge and you can use to explore christchurch. Restaurant and bar is great place to unwind. As with most hotel in NZ the lack of airconditioning in rooms is a problem in summer or with a warm dry norwester blowing, rooms can be quite warm during the day.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2010

My wife and I were very impressed with every aspect of service and attention to detail. Staff were only to willing to accommodate requests and did so with a minimum of fuss. I have already recommended the Copthorne to our friends and will be staying again when we return to NZ.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family