“grubby. In need of a makeover”

Flag Hotel Camelot Cathedral Square
Ranked #113 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 24 August 2007

Whilst the bathroom was modern and very clean, the bedroom was very dated and the carpet was filthy. You could not walk to the bathroom without shoes. The location was very central but the downside to that was the noise in the early mornings when the street cleaners arrived around 0530. The restaurant downstairs was good and reasonably priced. However, because of the state of the room decor, I would not reccommend it.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pamalula
There are newer reviews for Flag Hotel Camelot Cathedral Square

Reviewed 19 March 2007

I need a nice hotel located near cathedral square, as I was catching Newman's sightseeing bus @ 6:45am to go to Queenstown and got into the Christchurch airport @ 1:30am. The hotel was a 5 minute walk to the buses. It was centrally located with easy access to everything. When reaching the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised at the location. The room itself as very basic. I had everything I needed for the short time I was there. The staff was very friendly, and very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank makawaobadgirl
Reviewed 2 February 2007

I paid $95 as a solo traveller. The room was large and clean and in an awesome location right on Cathedral Sq. Bathroom was big and although the room was a little dated and in need of renovations, the value this place represented was too good to be true. Only annoying thing was that my three-night stay coincided with a huge contingent of American college students on a break here. They were really behaved though, just noisy, but no problem. next time I'm in Christchurch I wouldn't hesitate to stay here. At NZ$95, which converted to about AUS$80, it was as good as I could have hoped for. Oh, there's a really good pizza place right downstairs, and an OK Indian restaurant next door.

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank puntrd
Reviewed 24 January 2007

We arrived for a couple of nights on-route to Queenstown. Public parking in the area is difficult, but the hotel took care of our rental car for a nominal fee. The decor was a little dated. The room was spacious (two double beds). The bathroom was spacious and quite clean... water pressure was good, which is something I always appreciate. Location was central with food and shopping only a short stroll.

• Stayed: August 2005
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank F-word
Reviewed 14 May 2006

This is a good hotel in the centre of Christchurch. It has a friendly feel and our room was a good size with a nice en suite bathroom. We were also fortunate to get a room with a view over the square and the cathedral.

The only down side is that it is popular with coach tours and the hotels own restaurant can easily get full very quickly. This is not reallya problem as there are tons of other places to eat in Christchurch.

• Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank hywel
Reviewed 14 April 2006

My stay in this hotel was alright. The hotel was quiet. The room was very spacious. The bathroom was nice but the shower spray could be improved. The staff was efficient. Could watch Sky Movies. Good central location. Would probably return.

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank Gorgota
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, Washington, USA
Reviewed 7 October 2005

I suppose you really do get what you pay for at this hotel. When my travel companions and I came into Christchurch, our horrific hotel experience began with the fact that there is nowhere to park and there are no valet services readily offered to help you with the situation. When we finally got up to our room, the sheets didn't seem very clean, the bed wasn't made very nicely, and it was freezing cold. There were stains on the carpet that looked not good, there were huge nicks taken out of the paint on the wall, and we were given one queen sized bed for all three adult travelers, even after we had made reservations and made it clear there were three of us. We had planned on staying in Christchurch for 2 days. We stayed for 4 hours. This hotel just does not make a good impression. We even considered asking if there was any space at the hostel next door, which appeared to be light years cleaner.

• Stayed: August 2005