“Great Location, Clean Rooms”

Flag Hotel Camelot Cathedral Square
Ranked #112 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Jasper, IN
“Great Location, Clean Rooms”
Reviewed 30 January 2011

This hotel has a great location. It's located right next to the cathedral in the heart of Christchurch. It's under new ownership, I believe, and the new owners seem to be investing properly. The adjoining restaurant also had really good food.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Thai first
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Stayed for two nights and found the staff very helpful/ friendly, room seemed a bit dated but had 2 king/queen sized beds and all facilities. We traveled from the airport on the bus and walked to the hotel from the bus terminal......great location. Checked out at 5.30am with no problems and the cost of a taxi to the airport was $30, would recommend this hotel especially for the location.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2010

Great place to stay in heart of Christchurch with huge rooms and views to die for all staff were very courteous and extremely polite good size bathroom and very clean

• Stayed December 2010
West Auckland
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I booked this hotel before checking trip advisor (I know, I know, not the smartest!), and when I read the reviews was really apprehensive about my stay... I needn't have worried - the room was clean and incredibly spacious, and while its not the newest place around, there was nothing wrong with the decor. I was travelling on my own to see the Ron Mueck exhibition, so wanted to keep my costs down, and I feel I got a great deal with this hotel.
Friendly smiling staff (all of them!), comfortable bed, and a location that was convenient to everything. I really enjoyed my stay, and would happily return!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank tarnsdubya
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2010

This hotel is average in every way and is certainly worth the money you pay - but not a cent more. Other users have reported used linen and towels piled up in the hallway outside the rooms and this very odd behaviour continues. I have never seen this practice in any hotel I have stayed in anywhere in the world. I was tempted to tell the manager that special trolleys are available for collection of used room laundry but I thought this would be a waste of my time.

The property is in a prime location in the city centre and within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. A big advantage of this location is it is a well known and central pick up / drop off point for buses, and shuttles and is well known to taxi drivers. A taxi from the airport will cost you $45 but you can get the XBase shuttle for $5 per person one way. The shuttle drops you right at the door. Book your return journey at XBase backpackers right beside the hotel. Check out this facebook link for further information:

We did not have a rental car but the hotel offers no guest parking. There are multi-level parking centres in the city but the cost is very high which is in common with all large cities.

The hotel's bar / restaurant is average but still perfectly acceptable. There are other eating and drinking establishments close by. Bailies Irish Bar & Restaurant right next door is worth a visit.

As is common in NZ south island the rooms have no reverse cycle air conditioning. Fortunately (!!) one or two of the windows in the room can be opened to allow fresh air and city noise to enter. Great! Please remember we were here in summer so I can only imagine guests staying here is winter would eventually suffocate. There are plug in electric heaters in the room for the 10 months of the year when it's freezing outside. I am told the reason air conditioning is rare is because of the incredibly high cost of electricity. Fair enough.

During our stay we did see another guest in the hallways or lobby and we were starting to believe we may have been caught in some wierd Twilight Zone time loop. Another odd experience. Or was it we were the only guests? Mmmmm.

The only TV stations we could pick up clearly on the in-room TV was CNN and the local Maori language channel. For us this was not a problem. Internet access is average at best (we had our own laptop of course) but there are heaps of internet cafes close by.

Our room contained absolutely NO information about available hotel services eg: room service (I have no idea if it was available), in-house restaurant, dry cleaning services, internet, telephone, telephone book, and the like. There was no "do not disturb" / "please make up my room" sign. However the lobby contained extensive information on attractions and things to do.

This hotel is perfectly adequate in every way and as long as your expectations are set to " approaching average" you will enjoy your stay here. There is nothing bad about this property at all rather one or two things are just a little odd. If you want a low price option then the Camelot is for you. If you want a bit more I suggest the Novotel right next door. I would stay here again as its quirkiness does give the place extra character!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Victoria
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Position couldn't be better, at heart of city. Basic facilities, clean but "tired". Beds very comfortable. Shower just a trickle, but earthquake damage could have caused the problem. Staff very friendly and helpful. Restaurant food not up to much - salmon cakes had no salmon flavor, roast pork just average. Needs an upgrade, but I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Exactly where you want to be located in this city. Cheap $110 with Breakfast. Receptionist was lovely and very helpful, arranged us the same taxi driver twice who was a great laugh and much more like a guide then a taxi driver, great value! We stayed two nights in different rooms. The Cathedral view room was much nicer than our second (twin, 2 doubles for only 2 of us?) alley view room! Very basic studio rooms, tea/coffee making facilities, old tv and bed all in the one area, bathroom lacked good ventilation, in need of a reno. Did the trick for a bed for the night but a little disappointed I didn't pay the extra $30 for the Ibis across the square in the same great location.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple