“I liked it.”
Review of Pavilions Hotel

Pavilions Hotel
Ranked #14 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed by mistake after Jetstar cancelled our flight (thanks JS..) - the chef did an awesome job to have 50 people dumped on him on a Sunday night and pull off a fantastic meal. I'd go back just to eat there.

Room was OK, clean, shower nice.. everything you need, but don't rely on the wakeup call, otherwise solid.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank safarihat
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

I'm glad that we were a good mistake for you. It certainly is a challenge for our Chefs when 50 people arrive at once unexpected and they do a fantastic job under the pressure. Our meals are fantastic, I can vouch for that, I am lucky enough to dine here a few times a week.

We apologise for your wake up call issue, however it has been resolved. Daylight savings had happened on the night that you arrived to the hotel and an error was made in the change of over our phone clock.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next stay be it planned or unplanned in Christchurch.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed in the Pavilion after dropping off our campervan so were delighted when we found out that we had a massive comfy bed for the night! Bedroom and bathroom were both spacious and clean. Reception staff were helpful - especially as we weren't sure what parts of town would be open after the earthquake. Maybe the hotel looks like it could do with a bit of a refurb as some of the communal areas look a bit tired, but it doesn't really detract too much from the overall experience. Didn't have too long in the hotel really as we had an early check-out, but if we were back in Christchurch we'd definitely give the Pavilion another look.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

We really appreciate your positive feedback. We do take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms and its great to have the positive comments back. We often receive good feedback on our beds as we have the special underlays that provide that extra comfort - many people send emails after their stay asking for the suppliers of the underlays for beds.

We also really love the fact that you noticed our friendly staff. Most of our staff have been here with us for sometime and we make every effort to ensure our guests are looked after and well informed about our city.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

This hotel is really getting tired. The decor and room set up, especially the studio type unit with the ubiquitous noisey fridge really needs some work. The positive were the staff who were all terrific. The food was okay from the restaurant and the location is good. I did attempt to write his review on my iPad from the hotel, but the wifi was dodgy to say the least. I might do better research next time and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid a studio unit and eat out.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

We appreciate your feedback on your stay. I cannot locate your booking easily from your name, however I do hope that you reported both the noisy fridge and the wifi problems to our reception team. We can often resolve those issues immediatley if advised, we do apologise that you experienced this during your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the location as it is a very central place to stay in Christchurch.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

When I grew up in Christchurch, Papanui Road was residential. Now it's a lot of motels and commercial premises, many being affected by the 2010 earthquake(s). This hotel is above average if yout just want a peaceful place near things like Hagley Park (10 mins walk) and conveniences like a few restaurants, bars and liquor stores. The restaurant was fine for breakfast (they cooked my poached eggs to order) and the rooms adequate. There was a sauna which I didn't try. From the book in my room it seems to be a long time family run affair and certainly the staff were friendly. And obviously it survived the earthquakes!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fist floor are a bit of a hike if you've got luggage or are getting older!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback on your stay with us. It certainy is a great location to stay in Christchurch now, handy to many Restaurants, Bars and Shopping. We do have a porter service available to take your bags to room so being on the second floor shouldnt be a problem although we are happy to accommodate you own ground floor on request.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

This is a great place to stay We have been here several times and never been disappointed.Handy to the park and a great Thai restaurant all within walking distance. Plenty of car parks.Good dining and bar facilities if you don't feel like going out on the town.Easy driving to the malls for some retail therapy!

Room Tip: Have been in several different rooms and only complaint would be the outside entry to some of the up...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your favourable review on our hotel. We are glad you enjoy staying with us and happy to make sure you are accommodated on the ground floor on request. There are many new restaurants and bars openiing in the area now and it makes a great location of choice for your stay in Christchurch. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I spent 2 nights here with my family. It was nothing special. We arrived on a cool winter night. Our room was in the back up dark cement stairs. The room was outdated. The room was cold, and the wall heaters were not working. I informed the front desk and we went out to dinner in the hotel. When we got back to the room, one heater was on, but it was on the fan setting and the room was still freezing cold. Dinner was expensive and below average.
Worst of all, the hotel owns a home with a courtyard on the corner of its property. Our windows were over this courtyard. Both nights there was partying going on until late at night. On Saturday I acutally went outside at 2A and asked for quiet! I found out that this was a wedding group that was allowed to make this kind of noise unchecked. When I mentioned it the next morning, I was given no apology or explaination.
We stayed at other places on the south island we loved. This, not so much.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Thank your feedback on your stay with us.

Firstly let me apologise to you for the noise that was from my house during your stay. Yes it was infact my wedding night. As you can see from all information on our hotel we are a family owned hotel, we have owned the hotel for over 20 years. Living onsite means that you are to ensure the comfort of guests at all times, so it is not normal for us to have any noise at all. This was a one off situation as many of our friends and relatvies that had not seen each other for years and often can be through sad times we were enjoying catching up in good times. I apologise that this affected you as we went to every effort to make sure guests were kept away from the noise for these few nights.

However I must point out that the next morning my husband personally apologised to you for the noise and explained that it was infact our wedding night. I am only sorry I did not get a chance to also. If you are to send me your email details or contact I would be happy to communicate directly with you to talk about how you may be compensated and can only apologise for the situation.

With your heater, had you contacted reception we would of been happy to supply additional heating I am unsure why if the fan was working it had not heated the room.

With regards to your dinner, it is unfortunate you did not enjoy your dining experience. We have such positive comments coming from our restaurant I am surprised and with further communication I would like to discuss the issues you had here as it is very rare we receive any negative feedback from the restaurant - even to say average would not be a comment we would normally receive.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review as it is important to us to meet or in-fact exceed our guest expectations and it certainly gives us the chance to make sure we get it right.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed here with family during our holidays in Christchurch , the rooms were very small and the rooms were very odd shaped making it very cluster phobic to live in , the lighting inside was very dim and we never felt it healthy to live in , the worst thing is that no shopping or any good restaurants close by and we had to take our car out to dine at far out places , don't really suggest staying there , I feel for the price u can get a better 4 star hotel elsewhere

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rajeshcounto

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. It is unfortunate you did not address your lighting issues with us during your stay as we would have made every effort to improve this. There is always a variance in lighting that is acceptable to each different person.

Our 2 bedroom units do vary in size, there are some that are larger than others, we do have feedback from our regular guests that they are very happy with the size of the rooms and I am unsure of what you mean by the odd shape and small.

Pavilions Hotel would be one of the few hotels left in Christchurch with close Restaurants and Shopping within a 3-15 minute walk there would be at least 15 restaurants of various different types, in addition to this within a 5-15 minute walk there are many shops including; clothes, groceries, chemists, gift shops, etc. We also have a very nice restaurant located here in the hotel.