“Above and beyond.”

Ranked #15 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Nelson, New Zealand
“Above and beyond.”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I stayed at the Pavilions Hotel for five nights last week. Service was exceptional. Staff went out of their way to assist with making an effective working environment and accomodated an unexpected extended stay. Good room, no extra charge for parking and great location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback, it is great to see you enjoyed your stay and that our staff provided you with our usual service that we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I would not be calling this a hotel. Even a motel room has air-con. There are no ceiling fans or floor standing ones. The only option of a fan is a fan switch attached to a wall heater.

I had the double room (above the gym) which has a separate room/bathroom and a lounge area. The bathroom is lit with natural light so it is nice and bright but no bath. The shower ceiling in the slanted recess is so low and for a tall person this would cause a real problem having to shower and wash the hair - end up with a stiff neck. I am not that tall and my head felt close to the ceiling. The separate lounge/kitchen area is nice but there is no privacy because next to the front door there is a glass panel where everyone can see in. Not even a curtain for privacy. At night, you can see all along the corridor. The walls are so thin that I could even hear the guy snoring next door!!

I arrived into Christchurch on a 29 degree day and the room has not been aired so it was hot, stuffy and humid. Had to open all the tiny windows (old fashion style windows) and the front door just to get some fresh air circulating. Told by housekeeping that all rooms have no air-con. Couldn't believe this, I checked with reception - yep! NO air-con in any room!! The fridge is very noisy. The tv in the bedroom has no signals so nothing can be watched. The day I left was 28 degrees - another hot day so decided to leave early to hang around the airport - at least it is air-conditioned and much cooler.

The restaurant only does breakfast and dinner - no lunch service. The pool in the photo looks MUCH bigger than it really is - it is basically the size of a child's wading pool. The staff are very unprofessional - quite casual. The guy behind the counter took my bag up to my room (don't think he was the porter - do they even have one?). He didn't say a word to me - just took my bag and dropped it off at the door and walked out. Right! I will figure out the room myself.

Not a hotel as one would imagine - on a wet day, you will be soaked walking from your room to the breakfast area. They seem to have conferences so maybe that's their market? Didn't bother to wander around so not even sure if they have a spa. They do have a "spa" in that they mean a spa-tub style but not a spa as in massage treatments.

Asked for a map of the area - they gave me a photocopy of a copy - which of course turned out dark and black - hardly visible, so I didn't bother asking any more questions. Couldn't wait to leave. Will not be back. For the price of NZ$237 and the cooked breakfast at NZ$27 - I am sure there are better options.

Maybe for a night? Maybe not. It's about 20-25 mins from airport. Taxi ride costs me $40-$45 one way. They told me it's 10-15 mins walk to the left towards city and 10 mins walk to the right to Merivale. To be fair, the towels were clean and fresh. The bed and linen clean but the room is dated, the property needs a lift.

Room Tip: Not sure if I have any tips for this place apart from I personally would not choose it again
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tweetcoz
It is important that we receive feedback of all types so that we constantly improve our service and meet our customers' expectations. Some of your feedback has helped us make improvements to ensure our guests' satisfaction.

It is very rare that it is hot in Christchurch at all where you would need airconditioning - (perhaps 10 days at the most per year). We do have fans available at reception on request for these days.

You are correct we do not serve lunch, however we do offer a 24 hour room service menu and this menu can be either delivered to the room or enjoyed in our restaurant, bar or courtyard.

We do have a pool and spa. The pool is heated - it is not a lap pool and more a plunge pool and is heated from October - April. We also have a spa pool/hot tub or whirlpool (depending on which country you are from (there are different terms used for this all over the world).

We do offer printed maps of the Christchurch CBD at reception. Unfortunatley due to the change in the areas open in Christchurch ie 'red zone' area etc. we are having to make and develop new maps all the time - we find it best that we give you an up to date copy that has the area that is accessible and the streets that are easiest to get to. We apologise this was not clear.

You are also correct that we do not have covered walk ways if it were to rain during your stay, however we do have umbrellas located at the end of each wing for this reason.

Thank you for pointing out about the window in your room and we have addressed this immediatley by replacing it with tinted glass so that you cannot see into this room - it is often the most simple things that can be overlooked and it helps when they are bought to our attention. It is surpising though you mention regarding the room being noisy - as these rooms are concrete blocked which keep them very quiet as well as very warm.

We also appreciate your feedback regarding the cleanliness of our rooms it is something we pride ourselves on and it is great to be noticed.

I do hope that you will give us another try next time you are in town, we do have many room types and perhaps a different roomtype would better suit you on your next stay.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Most of the people serving in this hotel should not be in the hospitality industry especially the bar (both bar men) and most of the front desk. Left me with an average impression of hotels in Christchurch... I looked longingly at the ones that had "No Vacancy" signs.
Otherwise the actual infrastructure is great and rooms fine... Ooops forgot to mention... housekeeping were great thanks you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JDNZ1
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback on our family owned hotel. Its nice that you recognised the infrastructure of the hotel and rooms are good and it is so great to hear such good news on housekeeping, which we consider to be superior to most hotels.

It surprised me for you to comment on our bar staff - and 'some' front desk (so some were good)? It is important that I find out which employees were on during your stay and what particularly happened for you to make such a derogatory comment. Is it possible that you private email your date of stay and some general idea on what happened in the bar for you to comment in this way - my email is debbie@pavilion.co.nz . If you looked through most of the reviews on this site you will see positive feedback about our friendly staff and therefore I wonder what mishap had happened for this to appear?

We would really like you to give us another try next time you stay please let me know so that I can personally can assure your stay can meet all of your expectations.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The photographer who took the website shots should get an award!

Our room was a standard room booked through hotels.com ($118 US). It was tiny and dark with a dated industrial/hospital room feel. It overlooked the carpark and the door to the laundry room. The bed was uncomfortable. The heater, despite turning on, gave off no heat.

It seems that this hotel is presenting itself as an elegant establishment. It is NOT. We have stayed in motels/hotels in NZ (major cities and rural) that are significantly nicer for the same price.

In reading some other reviews, I think the rooms must vary alot in quality. Ours, likely, was at the lower end of that scale.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
I was extremely surprised and sorry to hear the feedback on your stay and our rooms. As your pictures seem to represent a quality that is what is placed on our website for a standard room - I am surprised you didn't see the likeness in what you chose.

In addition we are located in an area where you have the luxury of being to have free parking outside your room with no charge. We are not a high rise and therefore do not have views. However in Christchurch at this time that seems to be very much a positive to most if not all guests.

You are correct our rooms do vary in quality and you you can see this on our website.

We haver never received any comments stating that our beds are uncomfortable - infact the extreme opposite as you would see from all reviews on this site. All of our beds have very comfortable underlays and guests on checkout often ask about this.

The guest laundry is an advantage to all that stay as many enjoy being able to do their own laundry during their stay, it is only open from 9am-9pm so does not bother other guests during their stay.

Finally regarding your heating - we are a 24 hour service and if this was a problem you should of contacted reception to address this issue, perhaps the setting was not adjusted properly. In any case we are addressing our heaters in the extreme near future so this will not be a problem.

If you are in Christchurch again if you email directly debbie@pavilion.co.nz I can ensure that you have a room type that would be more suitable for your needs and ensure your stay is up to your expectations.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I have just visited Christchurch for 4 days and stayed at Pavilions in room 832. Before writing this, I have read some of the other guests' comments and quite frankly, I question the sanity of some and their derisory comments, unless there is another Pavilions in Christchurch and I was at a different hotel. This is neither a Four Seasons Hotel, nor a Mandarin Oriental and I am sure the owners are not trying to emulate those fine establishments. It is a good hotel with pleasant staff. The only observation I have, mentioned by others, is the room heating is inadequate. The evenings were cool last week and the one fan heater in 832 struggled to cope. Otherwise, I recommend it and would return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your recognition of some of the perhaps not so positive reviews on this site, we certainly feel that our family owned and operated hotel is a good quality 4 star hotel. Its fantastic to see you acknowledge our pleasant staff and that you did enjoy your stay. We apologise that you did not feel the heating was adequate and please be assured that this will be addressed in the extreme near future. We do hope that we see you again when next you are in Christchurch.
Rotonda West, Florida
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Very modern hotel, with large rooms, including the bathroom with its jacuzzi tub. Kitchen area had a nice microwave. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. The hotel is located in an area that is convenient to everything, but is very quiet at night. Had a good nights sleep. Our room on the 2nd floor had a nice little balcony sitting area. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phillip c
Thank you for your positive feedback on the hotel, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the facilities we strive hard to provide the best of. Its also great to receive the response on our staff's friendly service and we look forward to you staying with us when you are next in Christchurch.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I had never been to New Zealand and I was concerned about staying in Christchurch after the earthquakes. Our room was huge and all the usual amentiies were great. I was amazed that this hotel could still operate considering nearby buildings were demolished by the earthquake or after. I was saddened to see the city. The people are great and soldiering on. Now, back to the hotel... the food on the first night was amazing especially the pate. Definitely eat here. Slept really well and the food on the second night was just as pleasing - like really good. The owner /manager was all over the place - checking on service and the rooms - how good is that! With Christchuch needing tourists I say - just go and you won't be disapointed. This city and Pavilions is really worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Thank you for your positive comments on the hotel and for the thoughts of people of Christchurch. Christchurch is really starting to open up again with new restaurants and bars popping up everywhere and is certainly an interesting city to visit at the moment. Its good to hear you enjoyed our food and service. We do hope to see you back here again soon.